Travelling Alone in Rome

Old Jul 11th, 2005, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travelling Alone in Rome

I'm taking my first trip to Italy in September. I'll be with a group for the first part of the trip, but I had thought about coming back to Rome by myself a day or two before I leave for home. None of the others in my group want to see Rome.

Is it fairly safe to be there by myself? Can anyone recommend a hotel close to the sights (coliseum, etc.). Plus, I would to see the Vatican.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 05:50 AM

Most definitely visit Rome by yourself - it is a very indulgent way to enjoy time on your vacation.

Though it has mixed reviews on TripAdvisor, I stayed at the Pantheon View B&B, right next to the Pantheon. It was a fantastic, lively location, but the rooms were basic, quiet, and had a lovely terrace.

You can conveniently walk or take a bus to the Vatican from that area, plus all the other major sites. I always felt safe. There is a taxi stand right there, or a few blocks away at Largo Argentina.

Have fun!
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 05:57 AM

It is a great city to wander around by yourself, definately safe. I like to stay at the Hotel Lancelot when I am by myself, which is by the coll ...you can take half board at this hotel, they have big tables of 8 for dinner...I always meet very nice people from all over the world and I don't have to eat by myself...the food is good too and a very good deal when combined with the room.
http://www.lancelotrome.it/
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 06:01 AM

Hi,kwt1966-sounds like you're the smartest one in your group.By all means,spend some time in Rome,one of the most fascinating cities in the world.Have you used the search feature here to read which hotels have been recommended?So much has been written.As I don't know your budget,it's a little hard to make a rec. Also try tripadvisor.com,a wonderful resource for finding hotels.Have a ball!
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 06:09 AM

Hi kwt1966,

Most definitely! I was presented with a situation of a similar nature.

I was traveling with a group of friends in Italy, the original itinerary was Rome and Florence. While in Rome my friends decided that "it was not worth it" to travel to Florence for only four days, and decided to remain in Rome. After much thought, I decided to not go along with the crowd and proceed to Florence alone.

What a grand decision, indeed. I had the most wonderful time. That is not to say I didn't have fun with my friends, but after traveling with a group it was nice to be independent. Move at your own speed, see what you want, it was fun.

With that being said I did take the same precautions that I would take if I were anywhere alone at night. Just be careful and smart.

Bring a book with you when you dine, and enjoy!

There are many threads here that have the topic of traveling alone.

Best of luck Tiff
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 06:37 AM

A couple of years ago i was meeting my parents there in Rome. I arrived a day before they were to leave Sienna. I arrived at the apt. near Piazza Navona with no problem and spent the entire next day walking all around the area i was to call home for the next four days. I loved being by myself and just going at my own pace.I considered myself to always be a a little chicken or aprehensive about being alone but not anymore.
I felt safe and confident.
If i were you, i would stay in the center of the city like "faredolce" suggested, the Pantheon area is perfect.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm feeling a bit more confident now about going by myself!!

Any recommendations on how much time I should allow myself to see the sights in Rome? I fly out on on Thursday morning. I had thought about going by train on Tuesday afternoon. I'm staying the rest of the time, with my group, in Umbria - plus we've got a few side trips planned to Florence, etc. I'll be there for 11 days total.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 06:58 AM

You didn't ask, but here's a bit of info. If you take public transporation - VALIDATE the ticket. (Put it in the little box in the bus, near the turn-style at the, subway, etc.) Italian police are very efficient at imposing a 50 Euro fine on the spot for failing to do so! I traveled to Rome by myself a few years ago and LOVED it. It's all good.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 07:17 AM

Heavens, I can't even begin to count how much time alone I've spent in Rome, and how delightful it is! I usually stay at the Hotel San Carlo near the Spanish Steps. If you haven't selected a hotel yet, hurry, and book ASAP, because September is a very busy time in Rome. The Metro is very easy to use, and there are a couple of Metro stops for the Vatican.

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 07:28 AM

If you plan on staying a day or two (two full days would be the best scenerio if you could swing it), you can see a lot of the major sites. A tour of the Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's will take a full morning or a full afternoon. You can walk to the Trevi Fountain, see the Pantheon, hang out at the Spanish Steps, and stroll by the Colosseum in a day. Add in a little bit of wandering in and out of churches, perhaps checking out Trastevere or the Campo dei Fiore, some stops for gelato, and you've got a pretty full couple of days. I wouldn't try to do too much, just enjoy your "alone" time there.

I also forgot to mention that the Hotel Arenula is another great place - a little farther from the Pantheon, but sweet and inexpensive. I really enjoyed my stay there as well.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 07:42 AM

..I would aim for 3 whole days as a bare minimum (exclude the day you depart and arrive unless you arrive early in the am and then consider half a day...I agree the areas near the Pantheon and Spanish steps (and I prefer the first) are central and safe. I would avoid the area near the train station if I were travelling solo as I don't like walking from the subway to the train station exit at night..
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 08:23 AM

Hi K,

I'll be on my own in Rome in Sept too! Don't even worry about it. Staying at the Hotel Giardino Rome which was recommended here. Found a single room for 90E/night. They have been very responsive and helpful too when my dates changed.

I have 5 days and plan on 2 tours with context Rome, the Vatican museums and Antique Rome. Also plan on visiting the Borghese Gallery, Nero's house and Tivoli/Hadrian's villa.

As I get closer to departure, I was planning on posting for possible GTG's with other Fodorites.

Buon viaggio!
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 08:23 AM

faredolce-I took a look at the Hotel Arenula website,and it does look like a winner.It's looks like it's very near the Synagogue,is that right?
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 08:54 AM

I will be in Rome in September on my own as well. I am staying at a hotel near the Pantheon. I chose a central location for easy access to explore the various neighborhoods on foot. My last trip to Rome was four years ago with a group and I have to say my favorite moments were those when I wandered the historic center on my own. I felt safe and enjoyed being able to absorb the atmosphere and appreciate the historic structures in solitude. Which days will you be in Rome?
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 12:32 PM

Cheers to those who travel solo! I am aiming for my first solo trip to Rome in November, after having travelled there with friends there prevoius times. On each occasion three were strong urges to just "do my own thing" (mostly off the beaten path) and now I can finally soak it up, and experience it more intensely as a solo traveller.
If I can only find reasonable accomodation...might look into some suggested here, as my usual hotel, the San Carlo, I think would be a bit too pricey for one person.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 12:42 PM

Hello everyone, one thing I have never seen mentioned is that in Italy, and especially in the large cities, people get married so much later in life than they did years ago. Consequently the cities have so many single people. And Italian women are very independent usually. So being on your own in Rome will not be looked at as "unusual". Go and enjoy!!
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 12:47 PM
molly52

Hurray for solo travellers! I'm travelling around Como, then Gran Paradiso, then up to Cervinia in August. Doing some hiking I hope, staying in hostels and apartments. My friends think I'm a bit strange (lone female) but I'm really looking forward to it.Hope you have a ball in Rome. Go Girl!
(I presume you are a girl)

Old Jul 11th, 2005, 05:41 PM

Hi solos! I'll be in Rome from Sept 17 to Sept 22. If anyone would like to do a GTG for dinner or just drinks, let me know.

I have never met other Fodorites, even though I've been a regular on the board for about 10 years! I would love to meet some of you guys.

Buon viaggio!
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 08:47 PM

Dayle- great idea! It would have been fun to meet a fellow Fodorite while in Rome but I leave for Siena the morning of the 17th...
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 10:45 PM
lad

Hi Dayle, I will be in Rome on exactly your dates, although for three of the nights I am going to be in Sorrento - staying in a monastery on a hill. Stil have not booked accommodation in Rome but am considering a convent type place rather than a hostel. Will also look at the Lancelot now. I am spending a month backpacking in europe - doing what I should have done when I was 20 - now I'm 50. I must say that it does concern me that I will get lonely on my own so I would love to meet for a slice of Pizzza.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -