Vienna in mid-September - weather

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning on spending a few days in Vienna in mid-Spetember. Wondering what the weather would be like and if we should choose a hotel with air-conditioning.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 08:11 AM

Its hard to say what the weather is like there in Sept.
If you look at the temp tables, you'll see average Sept highs of 66, and lows of 50. But that is misleading.
I've been there with high of 82. And its been in the 50s other times.
I'd spring for A/C if the opportunity arose. Hopefully you won't need it.
Just make sure to dress, or at least bring layers of clothes (shirt, sweater, light jacket).
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 08:38 AM

It's hit or miss. I was in Vienna in mid-September in 2003 and that summer's heat wave was still lingering--it was hot and humid all day and didn't cool off that much at night. I spent the first night of my stay in a hotel (one of the Mercures, I forget which) without air conditioning and then moved to a hotel with airco. Having the airco was a relief.
FYI, if you choose a hotel with airco, make sure *your* room is air conditioned. Some hotels, like the Kaiserin Elisabeth (one of my favorite hotels), don't have airco in all rooms...it has be specifically requested (and confirmed in an email or fax from the hotel).
To be on the safe side, go for airco if your budget allows it.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 02:27 PM

Vienna in September is at it's best. (OK: if we forget about May or June...) Actually, last time I went to Austria (September of 2003) I stayed in nearby Baden, and the nights were pleasant... Well, to me at least: as I realized, BTilke says quite the opposite...
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 05:05 PM

I don't know if it's necessary for me to add to the uncertainty about Vienna weather, but here goes. I've been to Vienna four times, twice in June and twice in September -- certainly nothing on which to establish any statistical certainties. Anyway, my visits in early June were in cool weather (probably a high in the mid-60's) and my visits in September were in slightly warmer weather (possibly high in the low 70's). For what it's worth, there's four more pieces of data. Good luck.