advice on Tuscan wine tastings, please

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
advice on Tuscan wine tastings, please

We are staying not far from Castellina. Based on my various web searches, I got in touch with Villa Vignamaggio and the Castello di Brolio. The latter has a separate restaurant, but its wine tour and tasting does not include food; on the plus side, it is free, and I gather the castello and gardens are lovely. Vignamaggio is around $25 pp. I am also looking at the Castello di Verrazzano ($10 pp., or $30 "including a light lunch).

Here is my question: does it make more sense to have a tour and tasting that includes food, or not? The experience sounds very pleasurable. However, if it is only going to be a couple of light snacks, then my DH is going to grump his head off about paying $20+ for that. Also DH does not eat meat; are there things to eat other than wild boar and game birds?

Our other option would be to do a food-less tasting after going out to lunch.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:39 AM

I would opt for the food-less tasting because for $25/person including wine, I doubt you'll get much more than salami, olives,and cheese.

We stayed in Radda last August which is very close to Castellina, and had an incredible lunch at LA BOTTEGA ( also in Radda). There are scheduled wine tastings available on the grounds of the restaurant, and maybe you can check that out.

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:44 AM

My friend who lives in Tuscany takes visitors on wine tours, she'll customize any type of trip you'd like according to your desires. If anything, she'd have some good advice on the area and what's a reasonable price, best options, wines, etc. Have a look at her website, www.dreamtuscany.com, you can email her from there!
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 06:21 PM

SOrry, I just read that it's a big no-no to post business websites so please disregard my previous post!
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:26 PM

Artsfan: It really depends on your priorities--do you want to explore a lot of different italian wines or do you want a specific winery's "wine experience" with food? The "food experience" is likely to be an "event" and it will include meat as vegetarian is not a typical Tuscan experience. If you have time and the inclination, go for it. But if you are worried you won't have any wine opportunities--don't!! There are wine tasting opportunities all around Castellina, including small shops which will gladly allow you to taste their wares. One in particular in Castellina is Dievole, a winery which has a tasting room in town which does a very classy "tasting", hosted by Marco to the sound of Puccini. Our recent party of 9 was very entertained and informed by Marco while we tasted 7 or 8 great local Dievole wines.
We also travelled to Greve which is just north and went to Le Cantine, a legendary enoteca which has a wine museum, interactive computers and the most effective tasting facility for upwards of 150 local wines as well as 15 olive oils. Wine is part of the landscape and culture of Chianti, you really will have plenty of opportunities with or without a tour and food.
Cin Cin, Paul