Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

What do you think is the best destination for a first-time solo traveler, and why?

What do you think is the best destination for a first-time solo traveler, and why?

Old Apr 30th, 2005, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm headed to NYC in July for my first solo trip (not counting business and day trips), and feel like this is a great first-time trip for solo since I won't have to do any driving, there are zillions of things to do, and I don't have to worry about language barriers or currency. Am interested though in everyone else's thoughts on what criteria are important for a first solo trip and why.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 10:32 AM

My first time solo trip was Paris. Obviously there was plenty to do. Some of the logistics were challenging, because it was also my first trip to Europe. But it was fun and not hard at all. Big cities are so great because you fit right in with all the other individual people going about their day to day business.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 05:00 PM

My first solo trip was San Antonio, TX. I like the idea of no driving too. None needed on the river walk!

Old Apr 30th, 2005, 07:44 PM

Great Britain. You can spend a month there easily and see 4 diff countries. But basically the same foods and language as here and the money is easy to figure out. It was where I started for my "foreign" type trips!
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 08:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Paris, Amsterdam, Venice are all great for solo traveling. Exotic but relatively easy logistics. Puerto Vallarta Mexico is my favorite for a beach vacation.

For myself I've not considered American cities much, since I have lived in or already visited most of the ones that interest me.

I thrive on the extra challenge of a foreign culture and language. It is much more exciting to me and gives me that adrenaline rush that I have not experienced being alone in U.S. cities.

Old May 1st, 2005, 05:25 AM

Cities are great as there is so much to see and do, but anywhere that interests you would also be fine. I would stay clear of big package holiday resorts though.
Old May 1st, 2005, 11:13 AM

I would also steer clear of Los Angeles. While there's plenty to see and do, there's no such thing as a "central location" to stay. So wherever you stay, you'll spend a lot of time "commuting" all over sprawling area on very frustrating and clotted freeways. That can be unduly stressful, especially if you don't have someone to share the burden of navigating and driving.

However, I've had some great solo vacations in Santa Barbara and San Diego. The key there is to go in the off-season when those popular destinations aren't crowded with couples and families.
Old May 1st, 2005, 06:41 PM

The key to visiting Los Angeles is to move! A few days in Orange County to see those sites then move into the Hollywood or Universal/San Fernando Valley and see all that.

But you are right...there is no there there! Oh and I live here! So I guess I should say...there is no here here!
Old May 29th, 2005, 01:14 AM

Probably anywhere where English is widely spoken -at least for me, that gives me a sense of security, ease and comfort. I think Amsterdam or London would be fun for solo travellers because the cities very easy to navigate. I ran into more English speaking Dutch than I did Parisians. I dont know why. But again, I am heading to Berlin-Prague-Vienna-Budapest in a month all by myself and don't speak any of the languages of the countries above I've been learning the simple phrases though
Old May 29th, 2005, 06:56 PM

My first solo trip was to Paris. And my second. And in July will be my third. And...

Old May 30th, 2005, 06:55 AM

In the US, San Francisco, CHicago and New York.

In Canada, I adore Vancouver and have spent many days there on my own.

In Europe. I found Florence to be great for solo travelling and often visit there on my own.

Rome is fun too, as I love big cities.

Old Jun 7th, 2005, 02:52 AM

My first solo trip was to Venice (by train from the German town I was living in at the time). Just big enough to keep me interested, just small enough to not feel overwhelmed.

Since then, I've done solo trips to Tokyo, France, Estonia - as well as solo business trips to quite a lot of Asia and Europe.

And this year I'm doing my first solo 'sun holiday' to the Algarve.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 06:31 AM

I think cities are a little easier as a solo traveler, but it all depends on your level of assertiveness or what you like. Two other cities that are good solo travel are Toronto and Montreal. Totonto is easy to get around, has great museums, and people are friendly. Montreal is a city with lots of "lounging" in resaurants, cafes, bars and thus great for solo travellers because you can sit and read or just people watch for hours.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 08:30 AM

Heck, depending on your interest and assertiveness level, anywhere (except maybe Italy of Iran- Harassment from men). I am going to Africa on Safari! I will have the benefit of a small group, guides and staff to attend to the "technicalities", while I have fun. You can still have plenty of alone time, and do whatever you like in the city- with or without others. Learn about another culture, (and I am an animal nut)- so this is my trip of a lifetime.I hope to go back many more times!! Plan carefully, get advice, and have a GREAT time. To me, it all depends on what you want to do and see! Suzic
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 01:59 PM
b_in_d

Look at this! A whole forum for solo travel! A little late for me but still...

On June 23rd, I'm heading on my first solo to Monterey, California. I picked Monterey because I used to live(if you call the Army living) there 20 years ago, so I know the area reasonably well. That's why I picked it. Language, currency, culture, I guess are all part of that, but mostly because I know it and love it.

London/Paris will be next year. My second solo for later this year is up in the air. Not sure where to go.

Old Jun 20th, 2005, 05:20 PM

Suzic I look forward to hearing about your African Safari. I am just now starting my research for a solo trip in 2006 but would prefer a group for this type of experience. Which tour group are you traveling with?
Thanks
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 08:32 AM

For North Americans, I agree with MikeT about Montreal - and probably Quebec City too, altho I've not been there.

A large city with an excellent transportation system, and a rather laid-back atmosphere. And it seems so European due to the French spoken there. Also a good opportunity to practice my French (while the locals cringe at my slaughtering of the language) yet know that if my "French" cannot be understood that there is always English to fall back upon.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 05:50 PM

I did travel solo several times in Caribbean, and I loved it. First time I was not sure about doing it, but it ended up to be one of my best trips. Cancun is a good place to go if you want to have fun. I went solo to Paris, French Riviera and I am leaving soon for France again and Spain. For a first time, Cancun would be a good destination.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 10:15 PM

My first solo was to Greece/Italy/Netherland.
I've enjoyed Netherland very very much.
Greece also is a great place to see.
./Siso
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 04:10 PM

My first solo trip was Boston in the US. access to public transportation and people were helpful and friendly. I stayed in a hostel where they made an effort for the guests to get to know one another (social gatherings/events)

Outside of the US was Italy which included Rome, Florence, Venice and Naples (Capri & Pompeii). Getting around by train made it easy and the italians were very friendly and helpful to a lone female traveler.

Since then I have traveled to all parts of world solo. Enjoy your trip.

NYer

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -