What to see around Salida

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for a good location to stay a few days and take day trips to different places. Has anyone stayed in this area? If so whats there to see. We are mostly into just scenic drives. Not able to do much hiking.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 06:29 PM

Salida would be a good base for you to do day trips and scenic driving. Head toward Gunnison and go over Monarch Pass. Stop and take the gondola to the top - spectacular views and no hiking. Continue on to Gunnison and visit the South Rim of Black Canyon of the Gunnison - much better than Royal Gorge imo.

You could also head north to Buena Vista and the Collegiate Mtns. Area, and then north to Leadville. Lots of amazing scenery, and more than a dozen fourteeners. There is a short train ride that is based out of Leadville.

You don't say what time of year you plan to go - I am guessing summer. Recommendations would be very different for winter.

Also, how many days is "a few"? You could spend two or three days in Salida, then head west and see Ouray and the Million Dollar Highway, which is one of the most scenic drives in the US (again, imo). You could spend a couple of days based out of Ouray too. One day, a trip down MDH to Durango and back to Ouray, another day past Dallas Divide and to Telluride, back to Ouray.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions. Yes we are planning on going in July and will only have 5 days after we get there. We went down the MDH once in the fall and it is one of the most beautiful places to see. We plan on going that way again this year but would like to see some areas that we havent been to yet.
How long would it take to get from
Salida to Aspen. Is there a good way to get there without going across Independence Pass. I have heard that is a pretty scary road
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 05:37 PM

For what you are suggesting I would go on over to the Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Telluride area. Much more scenic and more to do.
Old May 1st, 2005, 02:43 PM

If you want to take in Aspen, you can drive up to Leadville and I-70. Turn west on I-70 and you will go through Glenwoood Canyon, a beautiful drive through a slash in the mountains, sharing the space with 4 divided lanes of xway, Amtrak, and the Colorado River. A stunning achievement.

Turn south in Glenwood Springs to Aspen. Lovely drive.

Another nice drive is scenic route 24 just south of Buena Vista to Colorado Springs through South Park with views of the Collegiate Peaks and pretty cowboy country. Lots to do in C.S.

Old May 30th, 2005, 06:10 PM

i strongly advise you not take the last posters route. it would take 5-7 hours each way and imho battle mountain is "scarier" than independence. independence has been worked on alot over the years and really is not bad. the stunning views on this drive are a once in a lifetime, take plenty of film drive. there are plenty of places to pull off if you'd like speedier drivers to go by or your driver wants to look around. you take 24N about 40 mins then left on 82 to twin lakes and the pass. the pass should take an hour to 11/2 depending on stops. the really scary part of this venture will come if you start looking at pricetags in aspen!!
Old May 30th, 2005, 06:15 PM

or you could just drive to leadville and spend a day there. its a fun little town, with breathtaking views 360 around. the drive around tourquoise lake is beautiful, take a lunch from pepino's (tell them i sent you)and eat in one of the camp or boat launch sites. or eat at the Grill for the BEST mexican food in the state.
Old May 31st, 2005, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advise. If you take Independence Pass which is the best way east to west or west to east to avoid being on the cliff side?
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 05:42 PM

to go from salida to aspen you drive east to west and you will be on the inside. buuut, you obviously have to get back and that will be cliffside. by then,however, you will be an old hand and think nothing of it. try to stop in one of the pullouts on the aspen side, at the bottom, when you see the river to your left. there are these huge rocks and skinny riverbed with rushing water and its very picturesque.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 05:48 PM

Here’s a couple of drives you might consider:

Follow Hwy 50 through the Arkansas River Gorge east to Canon City. You’re never very far above the river and in fact are sometimes just a few feet from it. Stop at Royal Gorge Bridge if you’ve never been. Also in Canon City you can go to the train depot and take a train ride along the Arkansas River through the bottom of Royal Gorge.

Same as above only take Hwy 67 south out of Canon City. Turn west on Hwy 96 and follow to Westcliffe. The road winds a bit in a couple of places, but is not bad. The views of the Sangre de Cristos as you come over the Wet Mountains is just unvelievable. Once you get to Westcliffe, you can choose to turn north on Hwy 69, go back to Hwy 50, and return to Salida. Or you can turn south on Hwy 69 as described below.

Follow Hwy 50 east to Texas Creek and turn south on Hwy 69. You will gradually climb for a couple of thousand feet (no drop-offs or edges) to the Wet Mountain Valley. On the east side is the Wet Mountains and on the west side is the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. Some of these peaks are over 14,000 ft and the view of them across the wide valley floor is breathtaking. I have visited here extensively as a friend’s family owns a ranch near here. There is a small town named Westcliffe with a few shops and a couple of places to eat. Continue south on Hwy 69 to Walsenburg and then head west on Hwy 160. Turn north on Hwy 150 to Great Sand Dunes National Monument, then continue north on Hwy 17, then Hwy 285 to Poncha Springs. Turn east on Hwy 50 back to Salida.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 01:41 PM

unbridled: what good information! i am going back to that country this fall. last year, i drove up from santa fe to salida and snow was falling on the sangres and collegiate peaks. thanks to you, i will now go look at the "back" of the sangres. you are so lucky to know people in that area. i had a huge desire to just stay for a month.

janelle, i hope you enjoy your trip.