Affordable accomodations in Edinburgh and Glasgow

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend an affordable hotel or B & B in both Edinburgh and/or Glasgow that is close to all the downtown action. Walking distance would of course be ideal but a short taxi ride is okay also. We will be in both areas in August and I know there are lots of festivals going on in Edinburgh at that time so affordable accomodations might be near impossible. We have yet to decide if we will spend most of our time in Glasgow or Edinburgh and cost of accomodations will probably have an effect on our decision.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 03:02 PM

If you have done a search on this board for Edinburgh you probably already know the answer to your question. Most of the "affordable" hotels are probably already booked (altho you don't say what you consider affordable). You might need to stay somewhere outside Edinburgh and travel in on the train.

Maybe others can give you more hope.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 02:30 AM

Try Adelaide's in Glasgow. Beyond that, can't really help.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:48 AM

For moderate accommodation in Edinburgh I normally recommend the Ibis in Hunter Square for Edinburgh - http://www.ibishotel.com/ibis/ficheh...he_hotel.shtml - but failing that, by now it will probably be best to ring the Tourist Board & take whatever they've got.

Anywhere with availability will probably have a minimum stay of at least 3 nights during the festivals.

The Ibis is very central but wherever you stay, taxis shouldn't be necessary as we have quite a decent bus system & most of the B&Bs are clustered on the main bus routes.

For Glasgow I recommend the Travel Inn on George Street - http://www.premiertravelinn.com/pti/...?hotelId=23955

It would be feasible to stay in Glasgow & do day trips to Edinburgh - trains are every 15 mins during the day, every 30 mins in the evening & take 50 mins (from Glasgow Queen Street - there are also slower more infrequent trains from Glasgow Central). If you avoid the morning & evening rush hours you can get a cheap day return for £8.20. One drawback is that the last train is 11.30pm.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:01 PM

In Edinburgh we stayed at the Royal Terrace Hotal and in Glascow we stayed at the Millenium. I was happy with both.

Maybe these will be useful?

http://www.royalterracehotel.co.uk/

http://edinburgh.gb.a1-discount-hote...=royal+terrace

hmmm, for some reason I canot get the Millenium site to come up. But we got a very good discounted rate there.

Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:03 PM

Oops, posted to soon. The Millenium is expensive, but sometimes you can get a deal.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:07 PM

I stayed in AmarAgua Guest House in Edinburgh - I think their website is amaragua.co.uk. It's about a mile away from the city center but less than a minute from a bus stop that easily gets you into the center.