Paris to Normandy questions....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. We have 7-1/2 days in France(finally!) We're planning 5 days in Paris, then want to go to Normandy for 2-1/2, including travel. We have this feeling renting a car in Paris and driving to Normandy might be a little intimidating for us and thought train would be better, then rent car when we get there. Would appreciate information/input on any of the following:

- would driving to/from Paris save us time over train travel? If so, rent car at airport?

- which town in Normandy is best for train connection and car rental?

- which town is best for an overnight base and do you have a hotel recommendation?

- is it less expensive to purchase train tickets prior to arriving in France?

- is it less expensive/better if we arrange car rental prior to arriving in France?

We have to come/go Europe via London, but will be pickin up a BMI flight for London/Paris. We thought we'd take the Eurostar back to London - mainly for the experience. We were surprised that it was so much more expensive than flying ($150 pp one way). But is fast, I know. THANKS ALL for any help you can give.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 09:07 AM

Car rental will cost you more in Normandy than in Paris. I would recommend picking up a car at CDG--driving to Normandy and return. That way you can stop at Giverny, Rouen, Honfleur, or any other site. 2 1/2 days is adequate to see the D-Day sights plus other Normandy attractions (Bayeux Tapestry, etc).

You can ride the RER conveniently from Paris to CDG.

Let me know if you would like other suggestions, itinerary, etc.

Cheers,

Jinx Hoover
[email protected]
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 09:17 AM
rex

<<then want to go to Normandy for 2-1/2, including travel.>>

<<2 1/2 days is adequate to see the D-Day sights plus other Normandy attractions (Bayeux Tapestry, etc).>>

While the reply from jinx is generally sound, I have to scoff at the notion of 2 1/2 days being "adequate" for Normandy. You'll fill those 2 1/2 days to overflowing, enjoy them, and still have barely scratched the surface. Mostly just arguing over the word choice "adequate" by jinx...

See my more complete reply on http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34588162

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 09:38 AM

We loved driving in Normandy. I think you will maximize your pretty short time by renting a car rather than trying to fit into train schedules. You might consider doing it at the beginning or your trip at CDG--drive from there. You are even on the correct side of Paris to start out.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 10:00 AM

I rented a car (mom with a 14 yr old as copilot) and headed south out of Paris to catch a stage of the Tour de France and then later drove to Normandy and returned the car to the airport. Some difficulty figuring out how to return the car due to my lack of French, not great at reading the signs, but not so bad I wouldn't try it again.

I agree that with such a short amount of time you will maximize it with a car instead of taking the train. I don't think 2 1/2 days is enough but if thats all you have...

LOVED Honfleur. Loved the Battlebus tour (www.battlebus.com or www.battlebus.fr) of the various American WWII sites out of Bayeaux. We got so much more out of the area by taking the tour. Our guide studied tourism in college and specifically studied Normandy and WWII and was an amazing wealth of information. It was a little like being with a pied piper as we started with our little group of 6 and as he talked more and more people followed so they could listen to him. I would do the tour again.

I have pictures of Honfleur on my website if you are interested. www.mrswalkergoestofrance.blogspot.com

We didn't care for Rouen although we stayed about 20 ft from where Joan of Arc was burned at the stake.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 10:20 AM

Last September we rented our car at CDG and then drove (about an hour's trip) to Les Andelys, where we spent the night. We checked into the hotel/restaurant La Chaîne d'Or, took a shower and had a brief nap, then walked around the village before driving up to the Château-Gaillard, built at the behest of Richard Coeur de Lion.

I do agree that 2-1/2 days in Normandy won't give you time to do much. If you want to see several regions you'll probably need to stay in a different hotel each night to avoid significant backtracking. We spent one night in Les Andelys, two near Rouen, one in Honfleur, and two outside Bayeux and were able to keep moving onward.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 10:22 AM

I'm going to highjack this thread (and I apologize for doing so), to repost a question on a similar topic to which I haven't yet received a reply.

In May I will be travelling by car from Caen to Senlis. Both Michelin and Mappy show the preferred route following the A13/14 to Paris and then north to Senlis on the A1.

I've taken this route (from CDG) in the opposite direction several times, and know that the périferique in Paris can get very slow at times. I'd rather avoid it if I can, especially as it will be late afternoon when we are going through.

I seems to me that a better route would be from Rouen through Beauvais to Senlis, but both guides show this as about an hour longer than through Paris. I know it's not an autoroute, but seems to be a good N-route the whole way.

Any thoughts?

Now, as contrition, here are my thoughts on the OP's questions:

I assume that by Normandy, you mean Basse Normandie (Caen, Bayeux etc),

As you are starting from the airport, then you would probably be best to rent a car there and drive to Normandy. However, if Paris traffic is too daunting, by all means take the train. You will have to get into Paris and change for Caen. For your car rental, check AutoEurope, an agency I always use. I don't think that you'll beat their rates, and you will pay in US dollars in advance. You'll find lots of positive comments if you search this board.

For your stay in Normandy, I recommend Bayeux, or perhaps Honfleur. If your interest is the D-Day sites, then Bayeux is preferable. While in Caen, however, don't miss the Mémorial.

For hotel recommendations, search on Bayeux. You'll find lots of good recommendations such as the d'Argouges, Churchill and Lion d'Or.

I've never taken a battlefield tour, preferring to do it on my own, but the recommendation for Battlebus is a good one.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 10:30 AM
jay

I would (and actually have)rent a car in Paris. We have picked the car up at Montparnasse rail sta. and dropped it off at CDG. If you get the car in the late afternoon you can most likely find a parking spot near your hotel. If you leave Paris early AM you will have no problem getting out of town. We always use Auto Europe for our car rental as they are easy to deal with and have great deals. If you have a rental car you may also be able to stop at Giverny, Bayeux and Mt. St. Michelle.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 10:48 AM

We visited Normandy last Sept. spending the 1st night in Paris then renting a car near St. Lazare (downtown Paris) and driving to Bayeux where we stayed 3 nights. It worked well for us in terms of finding our way. I found Michelin maps on the internet to be very helpful. I agree 2 1/2 days may be a little short. We left Paris early in the AM and spent a day in transit visiting Versailles and Giverny in route to Bayeux. While in Bayeux we spent a day visiting the beaches and a day going to Le Mont St. Michel. Car rentals are expensive but you can save by getting a small diesel stick shift. Even thought it was expensive having the flexibility of the car worked really well.

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 12:03 PM

A little comment on my use of "adequate". If that is all the time you have on this trip--it will have to be adequate. Of course you could spend weeks in Normandy--or almost any other area of interest.

I have visited Normandy on six occasions--from one day to seven days in length. You can see all the major D-Day sights, including museums, and have time for a few other attractions.

Go and have a great time (and perhaps plan to return sometime).

Cheers,

Jinx Hoover
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 07:24 AM

We just returned from our trip to Europe which included a quick trip through Bayeux. To be honest we now wish we had cut our Paris time short and spent more time in Bayeux. We stayed at the Lion D'Or which was an incredible hotel. Very cozy and very nice staff. Clean rooms (giant bathrooms) and comfortable beds. Very serene. There is a direct train from the Gare Du Nord in Paris to Bayeux if you decide to take the train. The hotel is only a few blocks from the station. Very easy. I believe the total trip was less than 2 hours from Paris and the scenery was beautiful during the trip. We arranged for a guided tour of the invasion sites during our stay and that added a lot to the experience if that is your interest. Side note: if you do stay in Bayeux I highly recommend dinner at La Rapier (just around the corner from the Lion D'Or)-it was the best dinner of our entire trip.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 07:57 AM

Just re-reading this and I think you are also going to find that the car rental will be very expensive for that short time. I But if you do rent a car you definitely want to do it from the US. For this time span I might even suggest just doing a ParisVision tour from Paris and just stay in Paris.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 08:05 AM

fromga, could you please tell us how you got a direct train from Gare du Nord to Bayeux? We have always left from Gare St-Lazare.

It is barely possible to visit the landing beaches, a couple of museums, and the tapestry on a day trip if one leaves Paris on the first train out and returns on the last train back. (Going out to Bayeux on the previous evening is even better.)

Any expense to be saved by renting a car in Paris will be more than offset by the fuel and mileage consumed in getting to Normandy and back by road. Train to Caen or Bayeux and rent a car there.

Or don't. There are many local tour guides who will drive a vanload of people anywhere they want to go for €70-€100 per day. We booked one through the Bayeux Tourist Bureau, and another in the parking lot of the train station. The locals have an encyclopedic knowledge of the area and its history.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 01:00 PM

Hi all,
Talk about a newbie! That is me. I have never been to Europe but will be heading over next month for business. I am considering leaving Brussels and spending a few days for pleasure in Paris with an overnight trip to Bayeux or Caen.
I was thinking about a car rental, but am not sure. Since I will be staying overnight, I will want to bring some basic items with me. Having spent most of my life in the western US, I have had no experience with train travel. I assume they have somehwere to store your luggage like they would during a flight somewhere.
It sounds like the consensus is at least leaning toward a train to the Normandy area and then taking a tour. I beleive there is a train runing many times a day between Bayeux and Caen, so it sounds like it is a matter of being able to get to and from the stations and take into account the schedules. I also assume you can pay on the spot with a Visa or MC.
Thanks!
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 01:18 PM

We loved Normandy - we stayed in Honfleur at this B&B and would stay there again.
http://www.giaglis.com/GB_maison.htm

Here are some photos from our trip last summer...
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...amp;ppuser=232

We used Victory Tours for a tour of the D-Day stuff and Roel was awesome! We wished we had a full day instead of only a 1/2 day...
www.victorytours.com

I'll write more tonight when I have a better chance...

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 01:38 PM

If you don't want to short-change your time in Paris, think about seeing Normandy in a day (no time spent packing and unpacking, checking in and out).

If you take the first train to Caen (arrives 8h46) and the last train back from Bayeux (departs 19h36), you'll have almost eleven hours to explore.

Besides the beaches and cemeteries, the Peace Museum in Caen is a must, as is the Mulberry Museum in Arromanches.

The Bayeux Tapestry is certainly worth a visit, and if you learn the history and background before you get there, you can save an hour or more by skimming the preliminary exhibits.

If you <u>don't</u> need a guide, http://www.busverts.fr will take you all over for 17.70&euro; for the day. If you <u>do</u>, you can book a tour at the tourist center in Bayeux.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 01:43 PM

Hi Onthegogo, We were in Paris last Sept., and rented a car from the US. We were told it was cheaper this way. We picked up the car from the Carrousel du Louvre,but there were MANY choices around the city for pickup, and drove to Caen, dropped our luggage, and went to Mont St. Michel. We left Paris on a Sunday morning, and the traffic was very light. The drive was really easy. The only small problems we had were that we were unfamiliar with the whole traffic circle thing, so got a little lost at times, and we foolishly didn't research the signage well enough before leaving. We found that the routes were marked with two different number systems. Also the toll booths took credit cards, and not change, and there was noone in them, so that took as a few minutes to figure out! Even with all those mistakes, we still found it to be relatively easy driving, and were very glad to have our car, to get from one point to the next on our own schedule. On a side note, I must say that the French were incredibly helpful to us, to the point of drawing diagrams and trying to motion directions to us, as some did not speak English, and our French is so dreadful! I really think the car worked out better for us, especially with luggage and our child with us.