Oregon itinerary help needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2005, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I live in Tampa, Florida. We are planning a trip (40th wedding anniversary) to Oregon in early August, 2005. Through reading and internet research, we have some ideas about where to go, but are having trouble deciding how much time to spend at our various destinations.
Our preliminary itinerary follows. Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated.

Friday night - late
Arrive Portland and spend night near airport.

Saturday a.m. - Head down I-5 for Crater Lake. Going to try to get a room at Crater Lake Lodge, but if not, could use an alternative suggestion.

Sunday mid-day - Travel to Bandon and spend night. Don't have an idea about accommodation there and not sure how much time we would want to stay in the area.

Monday (and possibly Tuesday)- Sightsee/shop around Bandon and then leisurely head north sightseeing along the coast. We want to go to the Willamette Valley and wine country, but don't know if we should spend more time on the coast from Bandon to there staying overnight somewhere or just get to the Valley ASAP. Would like to stay at a B&B in wine country - Maybe Youngberg Hill B&B?

Tuesday or Weds. - Work our way over to Cannon Beach. May stay at Stephanie Inn since I've heard such good things about that.

Thursday - Trip to Astoria for sightseeing, Fort Clatsop, etc. Don't have accommodations there yet.

Friday - Columbia River Gorge area and spend night near airport for departure on Saturday afternoon.

Are we trying to do too much? Not enough? Leaving out any must-sees?

Thanks!

Old Mar 21st, 2005, 09:04 AM

If you cant get into Crater Lake Lodge- another very nice spot is the Steamboat Inn on the Umqua River- and its not that far to Crater Lake from there- there are several nice waterfalls to hike to close by/ flyfishing/ very nice restaurant- think you would enjoy it.

One of my favorite things to do in Oregon is a day trip on the jet boats out of Gold Beach- you see lots of great scenery/ stop at one of the lodges for lunch/ see lots of wild life/ get into water fights with the rafters- in fact you can book an overnight at one of the lodges and come out the next day- we stayed at Paradise Lodge -

If you are coming to the Willamette Valley where I live- we have lots of great wineries - King Estate is probably the best known and very beautiful- you could stay at Valley River Inn in Eugene and do day trips from there.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 09:55 AM

I'm curious as to why you chose Bandon. It's a cute little town, but unless you're a golfer, not the place I'd pick as a destination for a first-time Oregon visitor. I might suggest this:

Friday night in Portland, which is only 15 minutes from the airport and you'll have more options for places to stay.

Saturday - five hour drive to Crater lake. Ugh... It's not pretty.

Sunday - Crater Lake to Florence via 138/I-5/138/38. The drive along the Umpqua River is one of the more scenic in Oregon.

Monday - Leisurely drive up the coast sightseeing the Oregon dunes, lighthouses, the Oregon Aquarium, and whatever else catches your eye. Overnight in Newport area.

Tuesday - Continue up coast, heading inland on 18, just north of Lincoln City. Overnight at Youngberg Hill.

Wednesday - Drive to Cannon Beach. Overnight at Stephanie Inn.

Thursday - Cannon Beach to Portland via Astoria. This may sound like a lot, but unless you have specific interests, there's really not that much sightseeing along the way. Personally, I would pass on Fort Clatsop. Overnight in Portland, or maybe McMenamin's Edgefield Manor, just east of Portland.

Friday - Columbia River gorge and/or Mt. Hood loop.

It's a lot of driving, but most of it's in the first couple days. Happy planning.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 10:59 AM

I agree with Beachbum that you will be doing a lot of driving- we want you to enjoy Oregon- not spend all your time in the car - I would also skip Bandon- its OK but not a place I would make a point of visitng - and then you can spend more time really enoying some of the other coastal towns -
I think Cannon Beach is the greatest - I could spend my whole between there, Portland and the Gorge .
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 07:05 PM

If you have your heart set on Crater Lake Lodge, you want to start trying to book it now.
Keep in mind that in early August the Oregon Coast highway will have heavy traffic. However, the coast will be cooler than Portland.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 09:24 AM

I agree with Sunburn, CB is gorgeous. We spent yesterday walking around Ecola State Park taking lots of pictures. Shopped in CB, went to the bakery there and picked up some goodies to take home.

Then we went to Astoria and met our son and his friend for a nice dinner at the Ship Inn. If you don't stay in Astoria, it's only about a half an hour away from CB and ten minutes or so from Seaside.

If you want to stay in Astoria, I would recommend either the Hotel Elliott, www.hotelelliott.com or Clementine's B&
B. I highly recommend the Maritime Museum and Fort Clatsop, both are very informative and educational.

Seaside is also lots of fun and the views of Tillamook Head are gorgeous. I'm on my way out the door right now to bike the prom and then possibly have dinner at the Stephanie Inn tonight if we can get in!

Trying to decide between one additional night in Portland at the Riverplace and dinner at clarklewis or an additional night here in Seaside! August should be beautiful weather for you. Enjoy Oregon! ***kim***