Help with ATM's

Old Mar 15th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with ATM's

Has anybody any experience with ATM's in China? Are they easy to find? Do they take the American Bank Cards easily? Do you need a 4 digit pin number or do you need a 6 digit pin number?

I have heard conflicting reports from many sources and I would like some advice.

Thank you.

Kathy
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 06:33 AM

Kathy,
I have only used my ATM card in Beijing and Shanghai, so I cannot comment on other cities. Both Beijing and Shanghai airports have ATMs that accept U.S. cards. In the cities, your best bet is to use a Bank Of China machine. I tried a machine operated by a different bank and it refused my card. Also, I just used my regular 4-digit PIN.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 09:56 AM

Dito on the Bank of China ATMs that Kathy mentioned. None of the other banks worked for us either.
Most of the ATMs offer english and mandarin instructions and offer "advice" at the end which means a receipt. Also we found it best to withdraw money earlier inthe dday because some of the ATMs run out of monet at night.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 12:00 PM

Message: I used my ATM in Beijing and Qingdao. They are easy to find on some streets, but for one reason or another we encountered problems. I had the most success using the ATM's in the large banks, eg HSBC. They need a 4 digit pin number.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:39 PM

It is easy to find ATM in China, espcially in the large cities such as Beijing and Shanghai, And the machines provide Chinese and Enlish service. It is easy to use.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 09:40 PM

Yeah, Bank of China is the only bank in Shijiazhuang (pop approx 9 mil) that has international ATMs. Then again, this isn't a tourist city even though there is a giant sign on an overpass that claims "Best Tourist City in China!" haha. I'm a teacher and recently had a conversation with a teacher that used one and she said that some of the screens were in Chinese so it was a guess and test experience. My advice: have plenty of cash handy and store it in many places so if you lose something, you won't lose everything. I know Beijing airport (in the waiting area) actually has machines where you insert foreign currency and it gives you RMB. No (or very tiny) commissions either, those are great for getting money.