Alsace - Hotel L'Ami Fritz

Old Feb 25th, 2005, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alsace - Hotel L'Ami Fritz

Budman, this will probably grab your attention, as you've commented here numerous times on this hotel. It's been nearly a year since we've been to Alsace, and I'm looking to book a room for the beginning of May.

I'd like to know if you (or anyone else) did the half-board option or have eaten at this hotel for dinner.

Also, is Ottrott a village with at least a couple of restaurant choices? How would you contrast it with Kaysersberg or Riquewihr? My wife and I are Alsace veterans, but we've nevered ventured into this village, and we're looking for a different place to stay that is of good quality.

Finally, is the distance between Ottrott and Obernai walkable, weather permitting?

Old Feb 25th, 2005, 05:32 PM

We spent a few nights at L'Ami Fritz, and I would recommend it as a very nice 3***. Clean, large rooms, typical breakfast with meats, cheese, breads, and the like for 10 Euro. We had dinner there twice but didn't partake of the 1/2 board. The food was very good. They close for dinner one night during the week, and I can't remember which night. We had to go elsewhere for dinner. We drove to Obernai that evening for dinner (Thai).

There was not a whole lot to do in the town -- a couple of wine tasting shops.

The inside portion of the restaurant was closed, and he only served outside (it was June and very warm).

There were a couple of restaurants in town, but we didn't pay much attention to them --

I'm not sure I would walk to Obernai, but it is well worth a visit.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 06:02 PM

I stayed there for 2 nights last October, and really liked this hotel. Yes, I did the half-board option, but I don't think I would do it again, as the choice is limited. It was definitely a bargain, though, and good. The restaurant is very popular, as is the hotel, so book in plenty of time. In October they were fully booked on one of the nights I wanted.

Ottrott is a lovely village, but I think smaller than Kaysersberg or Riquewihr(I also stayed in Kaysersberg 2 nights). There seemed to be some great walking and hiking areas around Ottrott, and walks to other villages. Obernai might be pretty far to walk, but a fairly short drive. If I go back to Alsace (and I certainly hope to), I will definitely plan to stay at the L'Ami Fritz again - it was my favorite.
And that area around Ottrott seemed less touristy than further down the Route des Vins. I loved it!

Old Feb 26th, 2005, 08:29 PM
machin

A nice hotel but not impressed with dinner but that's not a judegement on this place. We didn't like the cuisene of this ara of France.

Old Feb 27th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the replies, but unfortunately the hotel is booked for May dates we wanted.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 06:01 PM

Riffic, sorry to hear the hotel is booked for your dates! I'm not surprised, though, as it is very nice, and the rates are reasonable. I think it's quite popular with Germans.. probably everybody.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 06:17 PM

Here's the website I used to find accommodations in the Alsace region. Hope it is helpful.

http://www.visit-alsace.com/hotels/index.html#1