Reload this Page >

20 reasons why London is the winner over Paris

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 08:54 AM
ron
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Article in today's Independent why London should get the 2012 Olympics over Paris.

Sample: #7 Soho "A wonderful concentration of urban sleaze that will never succumb to insipid gentrification, Soho by night remains the open sewer any great city needs at its heart."

The article is probably not suitable for Paris lovers without senses of humour or anyone with trouble recognizing when someone's tongue is in their cheek.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 09:02 AM
dln

Care to post a link so we can all read it?

Signed,

A Paris Lover With a Sense of Humor

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 09:06 AM

Here:

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/thi...p?story=607582
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 09:42 AM

I suspect this is in response to the front page article that was in either the Guardian or the Observer this week saying that London had blown it and that Paris had a huge edge now.

Apparently, even the queen committed a gaffe by saying she thought that London hadn't done a good enough job in promoting itself for the role. I guess that London had promised to build a facility for some other event and the plans fell through?

Ah, the suspense. When do they announce the winner? Isn't it like July?
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 09:45 AM

Soho is so not sleazy these days, it is full of chic bars and restaurants, and the streets are filled with men who have no interest in women, hardly an "open sewer".

If London wins the Olympics it will be a tragedy, I for one have no interest in my taxes going towards some sporting event that will clutter up a city that has no need for it. If only someone would give that jumped up little Red Ken, and Tony a slap (all I can say without being overly vulgar). The only person who has the right idea is The Queen, who feels, as I do too, that the Olympics should go to Paris.

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 10:12 AM

A cess-pit of corruption, flagrant misuse of taxpayers' money, job creation schemes for the unemployable and a stream of dysfuntional, useless, trophy buildings.

The Olympics and Paris wdere made for eath other. Couldn't happen to a nicer city.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 10:19 AM

If the writer thinks London has a patent on sleaze, perhaps s/he should take the Métro to Barbès-Rochechouart some evening.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 02:21 PM

Oh please please please, I hope Paris has an edge on London. No one in London wants it here! Monumental waste of money. Shoo, go away Olympics!
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 02:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Earlier this week the buzz in London seemed to be that despite a 20M GBP investment in the "Back the Bid" campaign (or whatever the catch-phrase is) that London has never been seriously in the running and that Paris and possibly Madrid were the serious EU contenders.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 02:52 PM

No way, Dude....Paris rules!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 03:26 PM

At last, a use for the millenium dome. Hah!
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 03:55 PM

I love Paris and go there very often. I sincerely hope Paris does not get the Olmpics. I will skip Paris summer of 2012 if they get the games. Can you imagine the crowds and the cost of a hotel room with the Olmpics there?

Some cities need the Olmpics but Paris certainly does not.

Larry J
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 10:57 PM

MK, you are too funny-"men who have no interest in women"-best definition ever of not sleazy.

However, here in LA we had the Olympics 20 years ago and we still enjoy what came with-like the freeway murals.

Lots of tourism is not the end of the world!
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 11:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I sort of wanted to see the Olympics come to L.A. The totally bizzare thing about this was, it did. And I was living in London at the time!

My parents and friends did say one of the best parts about it was there was NO TRAFFIC during the Olympics, because the city, for the first and ONLY time banned trucks on the freeways during peak Olympic hours. I heard rumors that the 405 was not, as we not so fondly refer to it as the 4 or 5 (hour commute).

The only downside to the whole thing was the proliferation of this whole color scheme (or rather scream) of pink and blue colored mini malls that arose all over town that have never gone away; except a few that were thankfully burned to the ground during the riots.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 04:15 AM

I don't think any city "needs" an Olympic games. Most cities do not even break even from the costs of construction of the venues, never mind make a profit (can we say Athens?). I think Salt Lake City was an exception . . . don't know if a profit was made, but I don't think the city lost as much as others. Our great governor Romney was in charge, so of course the Olympics were a success! Now if I could only have enough books for my students!