Search

Trains

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2004, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trains

People on their first rail journey in Europe may find some things a little unexpected. Joanne (Giovanna), A lady who went between Budapest, Vienna and Prague, sent me a useful note on such things, so I am publishing it for all forum readers. There are much longer notes on http://www.seat61.com/ and http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap17/rail.htm, and a note on getting the best from sleepers and couchettes at http://www.geocities.com/rexbickers/tipsnighttrains.htm

[email protected]

Both trips went rather smoothly. From my own standpoint (not necessarily important to others) we loved our compartment on the train from Prague to Vienna. It was the first time we traveled on a train that way, and nostalgically it was something I had always looked forward to, having seen them in so many movies as I was growing up. It was also comforting to have all our luggage on racks above our seats, rather than at the end of the car. I don't believe there were racks like that on either train we took. On the train from Vienna to Budapest, we were able to squeeze our bags behind the seats.

I think the most helpful advice you gave us was to check with Cedok Travel Agency in Prague. It was without doubt the easiest and simplest way we obtained train tickets on any of our travels. I went to the web site you suggested, printed up the trains and times I thought were best for us and took it with me. At Cedok the agent felt we had chosen well and in less than 20 minutes we had our tickets and were on our way.

I knew the trains we took would be stopping frequently, but it hadn't occurred to me we would have officials coming on board to check passports, etc. This might be a bit of a jolt to some passengers. We didn't find it disconcerting, but it was something new for us. We had previously traveled by train in Italy, France and Spain, but always stayed within the country so no passport check was necessary.

Both trains had dining cars with tables and seats, rather than the snack bar types we had on trains in both Spain and France. We ate on both trips and while the food wasn't spectacular it was filling and prevented our arriving at our destinations starving!

We were able to use ATMs on arrival in both train stations so we had cash to pay for taxis we took to our hotels. We felt both drivers treated us fairly and didn't overcharge us.

Old Dec 20th, 2004, 10:29 AM

good information, thank you
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 10:35 AM

contact info for the Cedok agency in Prague

Phone: (420) 2 24197111
Fax: (420)2 2321656
www.cedok.cz e-mail: [email protected]
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 11:09 AM

cc
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 04:49 PM

Mnay thanks for sharing the information.