Where to stay in Vienna?

Search

Where to stay in Vienna?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Vienna?

Can anyone recommend a nice, reasonable, well-situated hotel in Vienna for a family of four (2 adults, 2 teens)?
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 11:50 AM
rex

See http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34461377 - - and I stand by my recommendation for www.residenz.cc

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 12:14 PM

Hello Hessie,

I don't know what your definition of "reasonable" is. We stayed at Pension Pertschy in September 2004, and were extremely happy with it.

The location could not have been more central. It was in the Innere Stadt, between Stephansdom and the Hofburg Palace.

Our room was not large, but the size was adequate, and it was well appointed. The bathroom, which had a shower rather than a tub, also was not large. But again, the size was adequate, it was spotlessly clean, and it was in good condition.

The breakfast, which was included in the rate, was exceptionally good compared with other European breakfasts we've had. There were many types of cereal from which to choose, yogurt, a couple of different fresh fruit juices, a large selection of fresh fruit, a variety of cheeses, good quality cold cuts (including prosciutto), eggs to order, a variety of breads and jams, choice of coffee, tea or hot chocolate.

The front desk staff were friendly, fluent in English, and extremely efficient. They booked tours for us, ordered taxis, gave us advice about what to see.

The free Internet service in the lounge was very welcome.

The only problem that I could envisage, if one was staying in the place in winter, was that the rooms were accessed from an open balcony that overlooked a courtyard.

There, I've just about written the review that I've been intending to submit to Venere.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 04:22 PM

I second Pension Pertschy. My family of three stayed there last April. Great location, immaculate, and great breakfast. Quite reasonable, too.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 04:30 PM

Check out suite hotels -- and there are SEVERAL recent threads on Vienna accommodations. All my modest knowledge and that of many others is captured there already.

Rex may be right in his recomendation but it is also worthwhile to get that second, third and thirty-third opinion.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 05:05 PM

If you really do mean "reasonable" then check out the wonderful, charming Konig von Ungarn Hotel. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Vienna. If on the other hand you didn't mean reasonable, but simply meant "cheap" then look elsewhere. I'm never sure if people really mean reasonable or cheap; there is a huge difference between the two terms.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 04:37 PM
rex

Bringing your message back up "to the top" since you are new here...

(how did I know that? click on your own name - - in case you are not aware of this undocumented tip, for ease of use of this forum).

Old Nov 30th, 2004, 06:03 PM

We just returned from a stay at the Hotel Graf Stadion. It is a cozy, clean, convenient and very affordable place. It is walking distance to the Rathaus. It is two blocks from the U2 subway and J-line tram. The double superior rooms are quite large. Breakfast is included. The decor is not fancy, but if you are on a family budget I think it would work well.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 06:55 AM

I second Patrick's suggestion of the Konig von Ungarn. They have quad rooms with one bedroom and bath upstairs and one on the floor below. I think we paid about 320 euros for one. Rooms are nice and the public rooms are super--a multi-story atrium with bar and armchair/couch seating. The perfect spot to relax after a day of sightseeing. Pension Pertchky is also nice and somewhat less expensive but not the wonderful experience of the KVU.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 05:54 PM

We stayed at Konig Von Ungarn last summer, 2 adults & 3 kids, & found it delightful. Great location by St. Stephens. We had a suite, bedroom & bath downstairs & bedroom upstairs. Good breakfast.