Bryce - zion - capitol reef

Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bryce - zion - capitol reef

I am travelling with my wife and two children in late July, early August.

How many days would folks recommend for each of these parks?

Also, in Bryce we're looking at the following places to stay:

Bryce Canyon Livery
Bryce Cabins
Buffalo and Sage
Bryce Trails

Does anyone have any experience/thoughts on these?

In Capitol Reef, we're looking at Auctin's Chuckwagon. Again, any thoughts?

Finally, in Zion, we're talikng about staying at Cliffrose. Any experiences?

Thanks sooo much to everyone for your help.
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 07:26 AM

I have been to Bryce five times but am not familiar with any on your list. We've always stayed in Ruby's or in the Park if we call early enough. I strongly encourage you to stay in the Parks if at all possible. Totally different experienc.

In Zion we've also stayed either in the Park of at Desert Pearl, which is one of my favorite places.

While you are waiting for other replies, if you haven't already done so, I 'strongly suggest you do a search! These parks are discussed often and at great length.
You will find a plethora of information and feedback.
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 08:59 AM
OO

I've stayed at Cliffrose. Motel style, nice decor, clean, but I thought expensive for what it was. We'd just stayed at Ruby's the previous night at half the cost and almost identical decor. It was fine though, and the grounds are really lovely. Be sure to walk down to the river and enjoy the view looking back into Zion.

We are going back in November (Zion, Vermilion Cliffs, Lake Powell) and have reservations within the park at Zion this time. I would have done Cliffrose again in a heartbeat, but really love the experience of being in the park so feel very fortunate to have gotten reservations there this time--there was no availability our first trip. 3 nights in Zion! Can't wait.
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 09:01 AM

I suggest a minimum of two full days at each park, and allow a full day to travel Utah 12 from Torrey to Bryce Canyon. It is one of the most spectacular roads I have found. Much of the route goes over exposed outcrops of the Navajo Sandstone, which is the white sandstone formation that makes up much of Capitol Reef and Zion.

All of these parks require some hiking to see the best parts. In Capitol Reef, Hickman Bridge, Cassiday Arch, Grandwash, and several trails that branch off from the scenic drive south from the visitor center are well worth the effort.

In Bryce, the trail to Tower Bridge is a little steep coming back and the altidude is enough to have an impact.

Your pulse will speed up!!

While you are in the area, I suggest also that you visit Cedar Breaks, and Diamon Head. That part of Utah was covered with volcanic rock, which is why part of the plateau is well above sea level. It has not eroded as fast as some of the other sections.

Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 09:09 AM
emd

I know you are looking for hotels, but I'l throw this in since I just got back on Tues. I don't know how crowds are in summer, but last week it was too crowded for us at the main part of Zion. The shuttles were packed (you must use shuttles til Oct 30, you can't drive your car in in summer or fall) and the easy and moderate trails were really crowded. Because of that we only did one day of hiking there. But we did discover the Kolob Canyon section of Zion (45 min drive north from the main park; Kolob has it's own ranger station) and had an absolutely wonderful hike there at Taylor Creek Trail. I described this hike on my post about my trip (type in my name "emd" in search box above and it will come up; I posted it this week). Amazing, one of the 3 best hikes I've ever done and NOT crowded.
If you hike the Navajo and Queen's Garden loop at Bryce, I highly recommend going down the Navajo trail and up the Queen's Garden. Navajo is much much steeper and it was Oct. instead of summer, so not as hot (we both had about 3 quarts of water and went through all of it in 2.5 hrs. on that loop) We are moderate level hikers.
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 10:38 AM

Definitely do a search for trip reports...many are on here including ours and would have lots of helpful hints.

We were there in late August/early September and didn't find the crowds overwhelming. Only once did the shuttle parking close and we just managed. It's certainly not as crowded as Disney, for example.

We stayed at Flanigan's outside of Zion and liked it very much. Might be pricier than Cliffrose but I would recommend the rooms and the location.

I envy you--we'd go back with our kids in a minute!
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 11:29 AM

I agree with Bob. You will want at least two full days at each park and a full day traveling on Hwy 12 between Bryce and Capitol Reef.

As for crowds....sometimes it's just the luck of the draw. We've been to Bryce and Zion the last two years during the first weeks in August and did not find them crowded at all. Capitol Reef is off the beaten path so it won't be crowded.

Keep in mind that July and August are HOT! Byrce will be the coolest of the three locations. I highly recommend getting "Misty-Mates" to take on hikes. For me it's a life saver..even in Bryce!

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/safetyce...zmismatpu.html

I'm not help with hotels because we always camp.

Utahtea
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 12:03 PM
emd

Well, something happened because I posted earlier on my stay at Flanigans last week and it isn't here, so I'll do it again. You might want to look into Flanigans since there are 4 of you. I stayed in one of the 2 bedroom suites at Flangians (almost across the street from Cliffrose) last week for 4 nights. It was the Gary Adams suite. In a separate bldg. behind the hotel, right up against a trail behidn th ehotel, and the mountian right behind the suite. Walk in to a living area w/two leather sofas (I think one is a sofa bed) , wetbar area w/sink, fridge, microwave, coffeemaker, nice big TV, and walk up from there 5 steps to the two bedrooms w/queens (one w/another TV) and bathroom. Wonderful private stone porch. Very nice, comfortable, chic rustic feel. They have 4-5 suites like this, but only two are in the separate bldg., which gives you much privacy. Still just a few steps to the pool and jaccuzi. Loved Flanigans- new spa is great (they had a massage special- my friend and I each had one and it knocked the $79 price down to &65 apience). Male and female therapists, and other treatments. Lovely. And we liked not having to drive or walk far to dinner as they have a restaurant where we ate every night. They have pizza and pasta and burgres for the kids, and good adult dinner food (we had great pork loin w/mango chutney, tenderloin, pumpkin crusted trout, and very good wine). We really liked this place and will return.
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 07:43 PM

I stayed at the Chuckwagon Lodge in Torrey. It is in the center of the very tiny town with nice trees and pool. They have separate cabins or a 2-story motel. Quite new and clean. The owner's daughter had a beauty parlor in front which I took advantage of. Lots of info on Torrey on Fodor search.

Also stayed at Flanigan's and liked it very much.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 05:27 PM

We stayed at Flanigans last week for two nights two weeks ago and enjoyed our stay. We had a king bed in room large enough to almost qualify as a suite.
We stayed at the almost new Days Inn in Torrey and that also was very nice. A good CB and indoor pool.
Our biggest mistake was staying at Bryce View Lodge. Seedy room and shower curtain with a blood stain at the top.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 04:35 AM

For those who have recently stayed in Torrey: on a recent thread on Torrey, someone said there was a new Comfort Inn being built, however I still can't find it on their web site. Does anyone have updated info?

(I'll find the thread and also bring it to the top).
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 07:36 AM

Torrey, Utah - Skyridge B&B - excellent.

Husband and I stayed at the Skyridge in August this year for one night. Our accommodations were beautiful. Very nice wine and appetizers at 5:00 each evening and a delicious breakfast in the dining room in the morning (your choice of time).

Watching the sun set from the front porch, listening to the crickets is something I still think about.

www.skyridgeinn.com

Had dinner at Cafe Diablo ... I didn't like it as much as some others seem to have. Would have rather had the breakfast the Skyridge serves for dinner and then again for breakfast ...