Search

Petra and Akaba

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2004, 01:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Petra and Akaba

we are planning a tour across Jordan, and my agency includes 1 1/2 days in Akaba.
What's there to do or see there? Is it worth?
Josele.
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 02:00 AM

We didn't rate Aquaba at all (assuming both are same place just alternate spellings).

It's a rather crummy sea side resort with very little going for it (IN MY OPINION).

Perhaps if one were into diving it might be better, I don't know.

Petra on the other hand.... what a delight. We arrived one evening, spent whole of the next day there and another night at the hotel before leaving. So a full day in the site. And yet we could have done with another.
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 04:23 AM
sandi

Aqaba is at the southern tip of Jordan and a beach resort. And I can only assume that for 1-1/2 days, this stop is just for some relaxation. While it is nowhere as built-up at Eilat right across the border in Israel, over the years, more and more hotel resorts have been built that offer an array of activities. But I cannot tell you what hotels have been built these past few years. Do your own search to find out more info re Aqaba.

As to Petra, this is a must. Two days would be minimum, three would be better. Enjoy your holiday.

Old Sep 20th, 2004, 05:16 AM

Hi,

You say you are planning a tour "across" Jordan. If overland, then I guess they include Aqaba cos when you head south from Petra u do so to visit Wadi Rum. Having done so, you can turn back around and go back the way you came or continue on to the sea. There isn't a choice when you get to the sea! Just Aqaba!! No great shakes as I remember it but included, I guess, as contrast to the desert, and to avoid going back the way.

Have you ever seen the film "Lawrence of Arabia"? It adds a context to my ramblings.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 09:32 AM

I actually enjoyed Akaba...maybe not for 1 1/2 days..but the town is very interesting...street markets etc.