Horse back ride from monteverde to arenal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to cr in october and are planning on taking a horse back ride from monteverde to arenal. Does anyone have any info or experience with this ??
Thank You
Old Sep 11th, 2004, 09:51 PM

That is an absolutely beautiful trip but probably not in October. We did it in March during the driest part of the year and it was still misty and a little rainy. It is a cloud forest so we expected it. October could be very rainy. They do have different routes that you can take depending on the conditions of the trails so you would probably still be able to take the trip. There are a couple of companies. Desafio and Sabines Smiling horses can help you arrange a trip. It is about a 3-4hr trip.
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 05:56 AM

This past summer, I came across an article in a local newspaper in Costa Rica called "To Ride or Not to Ride?" It was very interesting, and I kept it for future reference since we have not been to Monteverde and hope to go soon. The article is excellent--outlines every detail of the 3 trails.

Trail 1: The Lake Trail
Trail 2: The San Gerardo Trail
Trail 3: The Rio Chiquito

It gives length of time, condition of trail, advantages, disadvantages. When I read it, I remember thinking how glad I was to be made aware of the information contained in the article. I would be glad to scan it or mail it to you. My address is [email protected].
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 12:00 PM

Hello,
We did this in the summer and had lots of fun even though it was wet. We booked through the office at the Pension Santa Elena in Santa Elena. I would recommend stopping there to make arrangements. There are a few companies offering horse back transportation, but not all of them take good care of their horses. The ex-patriot at the Pension recommended a reputable company who properly care for their horses. Also check the website www.monteverdeinfo.com We found this helpful in making some of our plans. Have fun.
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 12:13 PM

Sabine (Sabines Smiling Horses) is the wife of Jacque from Pension Santa Elena. She does take excellent care of her horses.
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 02:56 PM

Just returned from Arenal 9-11-04. If you book any trip during the Green Season (October) PLEASE book in the morning - NOT the afternoon. You can set your watch to the weather there. Rain from 2pm - 8pm. Clear skies are possible until 8am and after 10pm.

Take large zip-loc bags with you for storing wet clothes in your luggage when you change hotels, or to return home. Nothing dries there like at my homeland. Laundry service at the hotels is a good idea. Also, buy some waterproof paper (bought mine at campmor.com) brand name : Rite in the Rain. Consider also bringing a pressurized pen (Space Pen is one) to write at any angle on this pad of paper. Excellent for taking notes on trails, service provider names, people's names & emails, animal species, translating words. Zip-off (conversion) pants recommended on this website were invaluable. Thanks to everyone here!
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 03:09 PM

Welcome back, TripleSec. . .I hope you'll give us all the lowdown on your grand adventure! When you catch your breath. . . . . . . .
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

hi well we are back. NOBODY should ever take the horseback trip in oct.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 03:15 PM

You have aroused our curiousity? What was it like? Was the weather awful?
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

hi the weather was great only one dy of rain out of the 7 we wee gone. it is really a shame that they offer a horseback ride in oct, MUD MUD MUD the ride is not fair to the horse or person i think someone should put a stop to the horseback trip before they kill a person or a horse. the cost was $65.00 per person and if they were to pay me $500.00 i would not go agan.so now you know how i feel about the horseback ride.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 06:13 PM

Thanks, PATL. It does not sound like a pleasant experience!
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 05:22 AM

How horrible. Who did you go with? I have heard that they are trying to do away with the horseback trip up the mountains and just having a short trip down below before getting into a vehicle. Instead of just horseback it will be car, boat, horseback, car again.
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

hi the trip we took was car,horseback,boat,car (3 1/2 hours by horse ) i was once told if you can not say anything nice about someone you should say nohing at all. ( would not matter who you went with) it is just not good for the person or the horse .seeing how bad it is for the horse will make you cry. all i am trying to do is let everyone know how bad the trip was.everyone has helped me with my trip and i feel i owe it to everyone to let them know how bad it is. thanks
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 01:09 PM

I was not trying to cause a problem for the people you went with but just worried that one company might be making the responsible ones look bad as well. Sorry again that you had a bad time.
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

hi jessie all 3 of the companys we talk to use the same trail. one company takes you on the lake trail all the others use the trail that we took. i am sorry to say it seems like all they wanted was the $65.00 and did not care about the horse or the people going on this trip. as you can see we made it and so did the horse but it sure was ROUGH on the horse. never agan . you can not help but feel SO SORRY for the horse .
shame on them.
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 02:18 PM

I have heard about one or two that are reputedly kind to their horses. One question I have, though, is how any company can predict trail conditions before booking tours, even in the "dry season". I wonder if this trip should be done at all!
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

hi i really can not say anything about the dry season. however i can tell you in oct. the trip should not be done by anybody. and if they really care they would not try and sell this trip. i guess you live and learn costa rica is still one of the best vac. anyone can take and someday i will be back. if you get a chance go you will not be sorry