Sorrento Hotel Suggestions

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorrento Hotel Suggestions

I'm going to be in Sorrento for 3 nights with 2 friends. Any suggestions? We'd like to stay near all of the action, in a nice place, but of course as cheap as we can--no more than 150 euro for triple. Also, ideas for nearby travel would be great--so far we're going to Pompeii, Capri & Positano. We won't have a car so public transportation is a must.

Thanks,
nykri
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 10:21 AM

I have only stayed at 2 and can recommend them both highly, Have returned to both.

Grand Excelsior Vittoria has wonderful views, impeccable service, good breakfast, etc but only makes economic sense off season when their rates plummet. Your best deal is to negotiate with the hotel directly.

The Lorelei et Londres is another personal favorite. Same wonderful view but family owned, ( a very charismatic family at that--especially the mama who sits in the lobby and compains about the government and train strikes all day) Very spartan but large rooms and clean. Great price.

I alternate between these two, depending on the season. When are you going?

Your day trips are the right picks in my opinion, but I have spent all day at each of those, so you will really only be in Sorrento during the evenings which is also OK.

Positano can be reached by bus--(fun and scenic). Capri is a nice ferry ride over, with the ferry startion being just downstairs from the Excelsior. Pompeii is easy from Sorrento on the Circumvesuviana (train)

be sure and stand under the web cam and wave!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

offwego- Thanks so much for your response. I will check out these 2 hotels and see what the rates are--I will be there Sept 11-14. I'm getting so excited for my trip!!

nykri
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 07:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Go to www.sorrentomap.com. It's a great website on Sorrento and includes a map of the town, transportation schedules (ferries, buses, trains) and an on-line edition of the monthly town magazine for tourists (concerts, events, etc.). You can also research and book hotels.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone have an email for the Loreley hotel? I haven't been able to find contact information for it other than a phone number.

Thanks,
nykri
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 09:13 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Try sorrentoinfo.com for a list of hotels and Sorrento information. Venere.com and even expedia.com have many listings for Sorrento.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 09:26 AM

Try the Hotel Mignon. I was there a couple of weeks ago. The rooms are fresh and clean, and it's located very near the train station and the heart of town.

And it certainly fits your budget. Here is a link:

http://mignon.campaniahotels.info/
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 03:40 PM

We were in Sorrento in June and stayed a week at Hotel Loreley. Paid 95 euro for a double, including basic breakfast. I don't think they had email, we booked via fax. Fantastic location - right on the cliff top with wonderful views and an easy walk to town centre, train station and ferry stop. The rooms are spartan, but clean and en-suite. They have a private little swimming "beach" below the hotel for a few euros each. The road adjacent is very noisy until late evening, so ear plugs are a good idea, but that goes for just about all of Italy. Try and book an ocean-view room with balcony.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 10:31 PM

The Hotel Lorely et Londres does NOT have an email; however, if you ask nicely enough, they will go to a neighboring property and send a confirmation - as they did for me. (I initially sent them a fax with my credit card information, then asked them for a confirmation). I will be there 13-19 September and got an ocean-view room for 95 euros, including daily breakfast. Can't wait!
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 12:09 AM

Just returned from Sorrento on what sounds like a very similar holiday...me and 3 girlfriends. We stayed at Il Nido (perfect) which is up in the hill with a shuttle bus to get you back and forth. We had a quad room and the view from our room was breath taking. We did day trips to Capri, Positano and Pompeii all doable from Sorrento and super easy with the ferries and trains (Pompeii). Highly recommend hotel. My one tip is its worth pre-dinner to wander over to the Bellevue Syrene hotel and sit on their terrace and have sundowners. We did that every night we were there. Enjoy
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 04:38 AM

Check out Palazzo Starace, a B&B right off the main street. We just stayed there in June. It's simple, and there's no view, but the rooms are very nice and clean, and the bathrooms are huge by European standards. Very nice owners as well. I highly recommend it.
www.palazzostarace.com