long haul flight question

Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
long haul flight question

Hey seasoned travelers... I haven't had much experience with long haul flights. What do you do (or bring) to make them more enjoyable? Thanks!
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 03:00 PM

Take along something to read. Personally, I sleep. Take along a bottle of water. Walk every hour or two. Watch the little TV set which is set into the back of the seat in front of you -- found on some air lines. And sometimes they even work. I've made the Los Angeles / Melbourne nonstop flight, and soon will be on the Phoenix/London/New Delhi flight. It's a drag for sure, but it beats any other way of getting there. Small consolation, true. Be sure to bring along an inflatable pillow, ear plugs, and a sleep mask. By the way, have you checked the seatguru web site and checked the seat layout of the flight you will be on? Try to get a two-across instead of those awful multi-seat deals.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 09:01 PM

Get a MOGU pillow from Brookstone
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 09:09 AM

I've yet to see any in-flight entertainment that is worth watching, so I don't count on that. I take a good thick book, and a device (mp3 player or laptop) that I can program my own entertainment on. Be sure to select a seat that has a power portal and take the appropriate adapter, or spare batteries. I've noticed a surprising number of people knitting or tatting.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 11:49 AM

- Get aisle seat.
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes.
- Drink lots of fluids, avoid (excessive) alcohol.
- Good reading material.
- Bring own headphones and get a "airline adapter" (a two-to-one cable) from Radio Shack.
- Bring own CD/MP3/DVD player.

If you decide to get a travel pillow, make sure you try them at home first. You may not like it.

Having personal video screen in your seat makes time past WAY faster than without. There are several movies you can choose from, TV programs, video games.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 04:43 PM

Find out which airlines fly to your destination, and choose very carefully.
Some have excellent in-flight entertainment, and some have pretty much none. It makes a pretty big difference on a long flight...
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 02:17 PM

Most important...make certain that your seat is NOT close to the bathrooms or the galleys.

The flight attendants have a habit of yakking away within the galley, even thought the curtains are pulled shut, for the entire flight over the Pacific.

Aisle seats are great for added legroom, but many of your fellow travellers have a habit of grabbing on to your headrest as they walk up and down the aisle...extremely annoying.

Don't forget to move your legs, rotate your ankles, wear very loose clothing and drink plenty of water...no alcohol and limit your carbonated beverages.

For the last 3 Christmas holidays, I have flown over the Pacific to the Orient and to Australia. As much as I love to travel, the thought of another 20+ hours in the air is not appealing to me this year. Cruising the Caribbean...only a 2-1/2 hr flight this time.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 04:01 PM

Bring several bottles of water. We also bring trail mix. One key is to get up and stretch frequently, arms, torso and legs. Comfortable footwear, e.g., slippers, it's not a fashion show. Some advise sleeping pills, but we never use them and have not had large jet lag problems. The first day you arrive, schedule a massage, sauna or long hot bath. Thius will alleviate much of the aches and pains. Try to get on a local schedule as quickly as possible. Get up relatively early the first morning even if you arrived late the previous night. You didn't travel all that way to sleep in a hotel. Taking a nap the first day can speed adjustment, if the first night was sleep-shortened. Don't worry, it's worth all of the minor annoyances.