Search

Need help with Itinerary in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with Itinerary in Rome

Hello Fodorites!
Well I bought our tickets(Me, my husband, sons 21 and 18 and girlfriend 18), reserved our apartment (Residenza Gubbonari), learning italian and of course reading all the posts on Fodor's. Now what?
Well with so much to see I am going be crazy trying to map out our days.
So let me give you the low down as it stands now.
Arrive Good Friday April 10th, 2009 9am (11pm Apr 9th Ca time).
Arrive at apartment and store luggage if room not ready, go shopping for foods etc.
Now we are going to be tired but excited. My thoughts were to do the Hop on and off bus and get a tour of Rome. You know get a lay of the land and try and stay awake unitl night time.
Saturday- No idea
Sunday- What can one do on Easter Sunday other then going to see the Pope.
Monday- Vatican tour with guide
Tuesday- Ostia Anitca or Pompeii
Wednesday- No idea yet
Thursday-Collesuem etc with guide
Friday- No idea (last day)
Saturday- HOME

I was thinking of also seeing Borghese Gallery.

I am trying to mix things up and not burn everyone out on churches and museums. I also want to give us some days to be spontanious. My husbands family came from the Naples area and he has talked about traveling down there to see where his mother was born but I can't find the town (San Andres).

Well this is what I have come up with so far. Let me know your thoughts.
Ciao!

Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 08:16 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
By Vatican tour, if you mean St. Peter's that will be fine. If you mean the Vatican Museums' (Sistine Chapel) it will be closed Easter Monday (along with many other things).
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 01:36 PM

Hi Julie,

Sounds like an unforgettable journey in life.

Your first day in Italy is the most important b/c you must stay up all day to get on Italy's time schedule. Sleep on plane and then upon arrival walk around rather than the bus - keep you awake, get legs straight, and get the bearings.

Rome was made for walking...this blog has a circle walk for first day:

http://italyinside.blogspot.com/2008...co-circle.html

Plan on eating lightly Day 1 - digestion can really throw you off that first day and go to bed about 10P.

About leavng Rome to go to Ostia or Pompeii -- you are only going to be there 7 days. Do you really want to spend a day in a bus or car? Easter is the 2nd busiest time to travel inside Italy with all the Italians and Europeans on vacation too. You may want to leave that for another trip.

In Italy, buying food and cooking is a false savings for a tourist with short time. Little markets are not cheap and cooking etc takes time.

In centro storico around the campo de'Fiori you'll find plenty of places to eat and young adults will love the action.

On successive days in the morning you can plan to do Rome by era: Ancient, Christian, Renaissance Baroque..

Plan on having lunch about 1P, when the Romans eat. Afternoons, spend window shopping on Via Condtti, Campo Marzio, Via del Governo Vecchio, and if you are in the mood for antiques (or a ring...) then walk Via dei Coronari.

Some must sees:
- Sunset Raphael Hotel top floor terrace or Hotel Mozart top floor;
- Cafe at Sant'Eustachio behind Pantheon ad Tazzad'Oro in front of Pantheon;
- Join the rafanatti at and the sofisticati at caffe della pace late evening;
-have a pizza next door at wecall the forno gialo (yellow oven) and do not miss Cacio e Pepe pasta at Da Francesco, nor the antipasto selections at Virginiae, both around della pace; and

you and your husband deserve cocktails at the lounge of hotel Ingliterra near via dei Condotti;

And a real special treat for the famly is the Leonardo Da Vinci at far side of Piazza del Popolo at base of stairs to the Pincio Garden -- tell director Dino the Motorino sent you!

And after check in at Caffe Rosati on opposite side of Piazza Del Popolo from exhibit, where Fellini hung out and where there is a tribute to him inside.

Buon Viaggio!
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 03:48 PM

For a short visit , I would skip Ostia. Pompeii is a long day trip
If you really wish to go out of town Orvieto is an hour away and very lovely.
As PP said, just wondering around the city and its great parks is very enjoyable ( not to mention fantastic stores and restaurants).
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 04:17 PM
J62

I disagree with the statement that "In Italy, buying food and cooking is a false savings for a tourist with short time. Little markets are not cheap and cooking etc takes time."

There are several small markets withing 5min walk of Residenza Giubbonari (We stayed there 2 yrs ago - Blue apt on 1st floor). One store is just around the corner.

By preparing 1-2 meals a day at the apt you can save both $ and also a lot of time. Some days not everybody will want to go out to a restaurant for dinner - so even cooking up something quick for dinner.

If you have questions about the area of apt just write back here.
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 04:26 PM

Hi julie,

Easter is a VERY busy time in Rome, but lots of special things going on too.

On my last trip I had 5 full days in Rome. What I did was have a high priority sight planned for each day, such as a museum reservation (Borghese), or a tour (with Context Rome - Vatican museums (4.5 hrs) & Antique Rome - Palatine Hill, Forum & Colliseum). Then I would visit and see other sights (piazza, fountains) or churches in the same area - places that had lower priority and more flexible hours.

This strategy worked well for me. I was able to do as much as I felt like, still make the high priorities, and had plenty of free wandering time for discoveries.

I highly recommend a day trip to Orvieto, or Tivoli. Both are easy and wonderful.

Buon viaggio!

Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 04:38 PM

You might consider going to Ostia Antica on Easter Sunday. We were in Rome on Easter 2 years ago and that's what we did (after seeing the Pope). It was an easy train ride out of the city and we mostly had the place to ourselves. It was a refreshing change from our previous visit to Ostia when it was crawling with school groups!
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 08:27 PM

During Easter afternoon you might enjoy visiting and strolling through the beautiful Borghese Gardens italy4julie. We sure have. Relaxing and a nice change from the hustle of Rome. And do give yourself time to sit at some outdoor cafes and enjoy the people watching at various piazzas while having some kind of a drink. The younger ones can wander off while you and your husband enjoy some special time for yourselves.

Personally I would prefer walking around Rome after a long flight rather than sitting on a bus, that would put me to sleep.

With the time you have in Rome I personally wouldn't take that very long day trip to Pompeii unless everyone in your party really wants to go. If you do I would make the next day rather "non busy".

Whatever you decide I wish you and your family a wonderful time in fantastic Rome. And keep in mind you all do not have to be joined at the hip all of the time. Your sons and the girl friend will probably want to go their separate ways from time to time and that will be nice as it will give you and your husband as I said before some special time for you two. Encourage the younger one to do some research online so they too will know what and where they want to explore. And no doubt they will want to enjoy the night life in Rome where so many of the younger Romans are out having fun.
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 06:51 AM

We visited Ostia Antica in October. It was very easy to get there via metro. There is also a nice restaurant for lunch.

One tip is to come back to Rome before the crunch of rush hour on the metro. It was a big mistake for us. I know what they mean by "packed in like sardines".

It is one place that I wouldn't want to miss. Very interesting.
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 07:33 AM

If Ostia Antica is open on Easter as mentioned, then that seems like a good time to go there. Do that instead of Pompeii.

If you do that, you have three days where you have "no idea" what to do. What are your interests? Ancient history? Art? A particular artist? Sculpture? Architecture? Churches? Markets? Shopping?

Give us some idea of what you like and we can give a lot more suggestions.
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 08:08 AM

I don't know if I should start a new thread, but I am so grateful to read the advice you have received for your trip! I am traveling w/ my two boys, one will be 5 and the other will be 18. we have visited italy a few times over the years, but never venice. anyhow... I am wondering about the cost of our air tickets. I have not yet purchased ours, our dates are April 15-26 and we will be traveling out of Boston to Venice and flying out of Rome back to Boston. Does anyone have an inkling of what is a fair price for tix at that time? any suggestions on websites with deals? so far i've found the cheapest rates on flycheapabroad. any suggestions will be most appreciated. thx. - susan
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

kbourbon-Thanks for the update on what is opened on Easter Monday. I will check with our guide. She did not mention it.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 04:58 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The Vatican Museum hasn't updated their website for 2009 yet, but has always been closed Easter and Easter Monday. St. Peter's will be open. Here's the link for the webpage.
http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-In...fo_Orario.html
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Motorino and dano-Walking it is! After a long flight walking will help with the jet lag. My thoughts were that by taking the hop on off bus is that we we would see more and could get off and walk around.

dano- I tried to go to your link about the walking tours and it kept kicking me off. I will try googling it and see what I can come up with.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

J62- We are staying in the yellow apt. Tell me about the area. I have read some reviews and everyone says that it is great but that the area is quite "lively".What should I look out for? I love the fact that the apt is down the street from the morning market. Our family are light eaters and making breakfast and some dinners at our apartment is a plus. Thats why I picked an apt instead of a hotel. Do the apartmetns really look like the pictures? Is there anything that you would have brought that they didn't supply? I could kept going.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Dayle- I checked out Orvieto and Tivoli and they both sound wonderful. I will put it out there for our family to decide on. I know that Easter weekend will e very busy so planning trips out of the city for Saturday or Sunday would be a plus. Thanks for the info

Y lou- I think that going to Ostia on Easter Sunday sounds like a good idea. I will check it out! Thanks!
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Dayle- I like the idea of high priority sightseeing. I will put that in my planning.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

loveitaly- Pompeii was my husbands choice but after I told him that it was 3 hour train ride, there and back, he thought Osita was a better idea. The gardens sound like a nice idea. After the hussle of the day it would be nice to relax there. Per your suggestion I spoke with our family and ask them to research what they would like to see and do in Rome. They loved the idea and it takes the heat off of me scheduling everthing. Thanks for the input!
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Bratsandbeer_- interesting screen name! I think when we go to Ostia that we will make an early run so that we can get back for a nice sunday dinner. I understand that you can see the whole area in a couple of hours. I will check out the metro schedule.

SusanP- My interests? Ancient History! Definitely! I also love the everyday life- markets,shopping,people watching!
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Susanboston- Definitely start your own theard but if you search fodors for "best deals of flights" you will come up with other theards to read. I personaly went straight to the source on booking my flights (USAIR)I had 5 people to book and did not want to take the chance of something going wrong with the tickets. I paid 1000 from lax to rome. I am sure that now that the gas prices have come down you will get even a better deal from Boston. Happy trails!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -