Need info on driving from Chicago to Tucson

Old Oct 30th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need info on driving from Chicago to Tucson

We will be leaving Chicago to arrive in Tucson 2/1/09.We have rented a condo and will be staying there unil 3/15/09. Mapquest routes us on I55, I44, I40 and NM26 thru St. Louis, Springfield, Oklahoma City, Amarillo, Albuquerque and down to Tucson passing near El Paso.

We need info on possible weather related problems getting to Tucson, which might be avoided by changing our route, and points of interest when we drive home in mid March.We want to take the fastest way going there and do our sight seeing when we leave Tucson . Being newly retired we have no time restrictions.

We would be happy to deviate from this route to see sights along the way. We love historical areas, hiking, beautiful scenery and any festival or something unique to the areas we will be driving near.Since we live in a large city, aquariums, zoos , shopping centers, art museums do not excite us unless there is something special that we can not see at home.

Looking forward to your help
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 11:23 AM

You shouldn't have any particular weather problems, but in Feb. you just never know. By going south from Albuquerque to Las Cruses you should avoid some of the possible winter weather.
If you go through Springfield, try to have time for the Lincoln musuem/library/.
If you to to take a chance with sightseeing in March, go north out of Tuscon, visti Sedona, maybe a sidetrips to the Grand Canyon and Painted Desert/Petrified Forest.If you want more take another sidetrip to Santa Fe from Albuquerque.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 12:52 PM

You are practically following old Rte 66, so there is lots to see on the way. Plenty of history of the old road, - you could even drive along some of it if you have the time. Have a look online for some of the quirkier sights along route 66.
Cahokia Mounds near St Louis is well worth a visit if you like Native American history. We liked the museum at the bottom of the arch in St Louis, but I didn't enjoy the claustrophobic ride to the top.
OKC has a wonderful Cowboy museum which is worth a visit, Palo Duro Canyon in Texas is lovely. The Painted desert and Petrified forest are interesting diversions too.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 02:19 PM

I-40 to I-25, then NM 26 (which I had to look up; it takes you from Hatch to Deming, NM) to I-10 should be fine in February. There will be road advisories if it's snowy or icy.

If you take NM 26, you won't really go near El Paso.

Lee Ann
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

boom_boom Thanks so much for the info.My husband is particularly concerned about the weather at the time we will be driving. Fortunately, we have extra time alloted so if there is a real problem we can get off the roads.Also, I think the Lincoln library would be a good stop...after all Illinois is the land of LIncoln!We have been to Grand Canyon and Sedona in Oct. It was awesome.The Painted Desert and Pet. Forest have always been of interest to us. Now I will start to research it.
hetismij..Great idea about the Lincoln museum as not only do we love historical places but after all Illinois is the land od Lincoln!!Not familiar with Cahokia Mounds. I will look into that. When we are in Tucson, we do a lot of hiking and visit various areas where Indian artifacts have been found.My husband is already looking this stuff up on the internet. If you have any links for this or the Cowboy museum, let us know. When we were in St. Louis I went up into the arch. I am not claustrophobic but it bothered me.Santa Fe is on our list. Thanks for the input to both of you
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Sorry ElendiPickle...I made a mistake- meant to say I25-I10.Thanks
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 02:43 PM

Hi boom_boom,
Question - driving due north from Tucson to the painted desert & petrified forest--is one likely to hit bad weather around March 15th.?
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 03:28 PM

Be flexible. Check the weather channel frequently. Change your route, or just stay where you are, if there's wintry weather ahead of you.

You'll be moving in the opposite direction of any weather system, meaning a snowstorm will pass fairly quickly if you just stay put. And the interstates will be plowed quickly AFTER a storm has passed.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 03:33 PM

Also, I'll take US54 at Santa Rosa, NM down to Alamogordo and then US70 to Las Cruces. If weather is fine. It's a fast road with few towns.

Save you some miles over taking I-25.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 03:55 PM

rkkwan told us about US54 to US70 last year when we were driving to the Tucson area, it was good advice. We went the first week of January, had no problems. We would take that route again. Enjoy your drive!
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 04:47 AM

And if you don't mind deviating a little from US 70, Carlsbad Caverns is just south of Roswell on US 285.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

rkkwan
Thanks so much for your detailed response and your road advice. Hubby is the map person with a good sense of direction. He said that US54 appears to parallel I25. He wanted me to ask you if you take this route rather than the (usually fastes road)interstate because it's faster, more scenic or better weather if a storm moves through? He's very anxious to get your take on this.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 10:18 AM

Cahokia Mounds: http://www.cahokiamounds.com/

OKC cowboy museum:
http://www.cowboyhalloffame.org/
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 10:30 AM

From Santa Rosa, NM to Deming, NM is 351 miles via I-25 and NM26. It's 304 miles via US54 and I-10.

Save you 47 miles. If you average 70MPH on I-25, it'll take you 5 hours. I think you can average 60MPH or a little higher on US54 and I-10 because traffic will be extremely light on that road in Feb. So, timewise it's a wash or slightly better, but you save about 2 gallons (depending on your vehicle) of gas.

And to me, if there's no time penalty, I'll always get off the interstate. Just more interesting.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 01:35 PM

Surprised no one has mentioned the Salt River Canyon route. You need to take 40 out of Albquerque to Holbrook, AZ then 77 to Showlow and onto Globe, then ( another scenic route) 60 to Florence Junction and 79 into Tucson. This is IMO the most scenic, and I've driven all the others mentioned. I'd avoid southern New Mexico and Arizona (I 25 & I 10)...dull.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

rkkwan
Thanks -- you sold us.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

historytraveler
Thank you for your suggestion on a scenic route which we would take on our way home from Tucson to Chicago and probably take rkkwan's shortcut on the way to Tucson. Although we have no time restrictions, we are making a list of intersting and scenic areas to visit on our trip home in middle of March and am sure will have to forego some. I would appreciate your input as to how much extra time and miles would have to be allowed for this slight detour and any other suggestions that you might have.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 03:13 PM

But if you want to go to Santa Fe, you don't want to take the road from Santa Rosa to Deming. You'd take I-40 to Clines Corners, then cut over on 285 (I think - I'm not home and don't have my road atlas) to Santa Fe.

I haven't done the road through Show Low, but we have gone from Winslow along the Mogollon Rim through Payson to Phoenix, which is pretty spectacular. I agree that either way would be a lot more scenic than I-25 to I-10!

lee ann
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

rkkwan & ElendiPickle
OK, we are sold on the scenic route out of Tucson that history travel recommended and the shortcut on the way to Tucson that rkkwan suggested. We definitely want to see the Santa Fe area on the way home. The question for you both is if we deviate from rkkwan's shortcut to go to the Carlsbad Caverns - how bad is that??
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 03:39 PM

If you want to go to Carlsbad, you'll take I-27 south from Amarillo to Lubbock, then take US62 to Carlsbad. Then, you'll continue on US62 back to I-10.

From Amarillo to Las Cruces, that's an extra 100 miles (512 vs 414 via I-40/US54), and most of it non-interstate. So, you're adding about 2 hours of driving (9 vs 7), plus the time you spend at the caverns.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -