Search

"Wing it"?! ferry/boat Korcula to Dubrovnik Sept. 2009

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Wing it"?! ferry/boat Korcula to Dubrovnik Sept. 2009

Help:
We want to book our Sept 2009 Croatia trip. No problem finding nice accomodations! Problem is ensuring there are ferries/catamarans for part of the journey. I've spent hours and hours on all the websites - jadrolinija/sem marina etc. etc. Plugged in for dates Sept 2009 - of course not updated for then! Bottom line...we have to get a ferry/catamaran off the island of Korcula to go to Dubrovnik in Sept. 2009 - what is our chance of just praying and hoping there is one? Or do we have a better chance boating off the island of Korcula...going to either Orebic or Miljet (book 1 night) and then getting on a daily boat to Dubrovnik? We much prefer a direct boat from Korcula to Dubrovnik.
thanks,
travelbugCarrie
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 07:28 AM

Jadrolinjia goes from Korcula to Dubrovnik, but not on a daily basis. Marko Polo will be doing it twice a week and Liburnia will be running a couple of other days during the same week. In September you will have service about 4 times per week, so don't worry about it.
Jadrolinjia and Croatian air and many of the local ferries only post schedules about 6 months prior. You won't find any good information until February or March.

Dobrodosli
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 07:30 AM

I don't think any ferry companies will have schedules for September 2009 yet.
This website summarizes connections to Korcula:
www.korcula.net/grad/pitanja/index.html
There are daily buses to Dubrovnik and fast catamarans to Split, as well as daily ferries to Drvenik and Orebic. Jadrolinija have several sailings weekly from Korcula to Dubrovnik, but schedules won't be available till next year.
When I've been to Croatia in September, I've had no problem finding accommodation and buying tickets; I've not found a need to book anything more than a day in advance.
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 08:21 AM

I really don't think you have a problem. There is a ferry that goes from Korcula town to Oribec every couple of hours. If you are a walk-on, you should have absolutely no problem. There are buses that you can take to Dubrovnik. Here is a site that gives the schedule.
http://www.korculainfo.com/ferries/o...cula-ferry.htm

Old Oct 13th, 2008, 01:11 PM

nukesafe - If you have a car and wish to go overnight to Korcula, is it possible to just PARK the car somewhere in Orebic and go to Korcula as a foot passenger? Would this be a good idea for just 1 night on Korcula? Is parking on the island of Korcula a problem, or is it better to have a CAR on korcula?

We will pick up our car as we leave Dubrovnik to head north. Would we be better off to just take a bus to Korcula from Dub and rent the car as we leave Korcula?

Maybe I am "overthinking" this. Sorry to hijack this thread.
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 01:27 PM

I hope others can answer you more clearly, because I have never driven a car to Orebec. We were staying in a town on the other end of Korcula Island, Vela Luka, and folks would drive from there to Korcula town to catch the ferry. They would be able to drive from there to Dubrovnik to do business/shop, and return that evening.

I seem to recall that you could park in Oribec and take the passenger ferry over to Korcula town for the day, but my memory is dim after four years.

Someone with more recent experience please help these folks out.

Old Oct 14th, 2008, 01:42 AM

There is a passenger ferry from Orebic to Korcula town. This is the summer schedule:
http://www.medplov.hr/timetable/MP_p...a_sezonski.pdf
Foot passengers can cross on the car ferry from Orebic, but that lands at Domince which is a long walk from the old town of Korcula.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 05:18 PM

I scheduled a van pickup from Dubrovnik (Ploce Gate) at 1pm on May 27, 2009 and the van went to Orebic to catch the ferry to Korcula. I arrived in Korcula within three and a half hours. On Jun. 1, 2009 I scheduled a van for pickup at 1:30PM in Korcula for a return trip to Dubrovnik airport. See www.korcula-rent.net. You can also go the the Dubrovnik bus terminal and there is a bus departing at 3PM for Korcula for 89 Kunas ($18) one way per person.