San Francisco China Town on a Sunday?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished reading some of Stu Dudley's comments to another poster about changing their itinerary and not go to China Town on a Sunday. I actually was also planning on going there that day. Can anyone tell me if the shops are open on that day or is it just not a good day to go there and I should plan for a different neighborhood to visit?
dave
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 03:09 PM

I like Stu Dudley a lot and, having met him in person, like him even better - but I don't agree with every single thing he's written.

Don't know why he would advice not to go to Chinatown on a Sunday - didn't read the other thread you are referring to. Could you provide a link?

Maybe it's because it gets crowded? But once school starts, the tourist crowds do thin a bit.

Were you planning to eat in Chinatown on a Sunday? Most of the restaurants in Chinatown are too touristy and aren't very good. Go around the corner a bit and dine in Little Italy, some fabulous restaurants there.

Frankly, with not much to go on for Stu's reasons for his recommendation, I'd say - go to Chinatown, sunday or any other day.

Old Aug 25th, 2008, 03:13 PM

I've been to Chinatown on a Sunday morning (several years ago), and things were active. I don't remember if most of the normal fish, meat, specialty shops were open and I don't recall if they close mid-day. Driving past Chinatown on a Sunday afternoon/early evening seemed much less active than morning & mid-day - that's why I recommended visiting on another morning during the week.

Cow Hollow/Marina, Haight/Ashbury, and the Noe Valley are very active on sunny Sundays.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 03:20 PM

Easy - I did not recommend skipping Chinatown - just seeing it on a weekday morning, instead of a Sunday afternoon on the OP's arrival day.

I would rathar be there when the shops selling live fish just open, instead of when they are closed or closing.

Here is the other thread:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35152156

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 06:27 PM

If you want to see lots of fish activity, , we just were there in late June on an atypically HOT Saturday afternoon. More fish and their aromas than I would need to see in a lifetime! The whole area was packed with residents, many of whom were doing some serious food shopping. I felt as if we were not in the US. It was a wonderful, rare (for us) cultural experience and it would have lost all the life of the day if the markets had been closed.