Review for Super Shuttle NYC

Old Aug 1st, 2008, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review for Super Shuttle NYC

I pre booked Super Shuttle before going to NYC. After reading the reviews here I got a little nervous. I looked around at other places but never found a better price and some I could not get in touch with. So I cross my fingers and hoped for the best. I have to say I was impressed. I booked a private van because we had a party of six and it was only a dollar more to get the private van versus a shared van. I called Super Shuttle when we got to the airport and the lady said they would be there within 20-25 minutes, they were there within 10. For our return flight they were suppose to be at our hotel between 7:20 and 7:35, they were there at 7:10. We were ready early so we went ahead and left.

So if you have a party of six or more maybe you should consider a private van from Super Shuttle. Hopefully your experience will be as good as ours.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 07:49 AM

vacationer07, glad you had a good experience.

The bad experiences that many people including myself have had is NOT for a private van, but for their regular shared service. That's where you may have to wait for the van to fill up before you leave (can take an half hour, or more) and then it drops people off , seemingly in the most illogical ways (uptown, downtown, all around the town,instead of grouping the drop-offs by location).
Trips that should be 40 minutes have been known to take 2 1/2 hours!

Curious how much you paid for the trip. Usually a "regular" car service, (one that has all sorts of vehicles and doesn't do the kind of shuttle service where people get on and off at different places) has better prices.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 08:31 AM

99% of the Super Shuttle reviews on this forum are negative, because most people do not have a private charter.

Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 11:35 AM

A private shuttle isn;t Super Shuttle although it may be run by them. You have just rented a private car as you could from Dial 7 or Carmel or whatever. (And I would be interested to see what you paid versus what those services charge.)
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 11:59 AM

I am also interested in the price, being we are going the first of December.

Which airport did you use? We are flying into Newark.

Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

For a shared van it would have been $114 for six people. For the private van it was $115. We flew into Newark and payed $10 for tolls. I looked at Dial 7 and Carmel but the vans would not hold us and our luggage so we would have to go with bigger vehicles for more money than Super Shuttle. That's what I found anyway. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 07:21 PM

Are some of you suggesting they could have gotten a regular private car and squeezed six people and all their luggage into it? Do they even have vehicles for 6 people? Six people from Newark for $115? Sounds very good to me. Vacationer07, I think you did great!

I'm curious after reading a lot of posts tonight from happy people reporting good things about their trips, that some people will never let anyone get away with saying they had a good experience. There is always something better!
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 08:32 PM

Thanks for information vacationer07.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 08:57 AM

Sounds like it worked very well for vacationer07.

No, NeoPatrick, noone suggested squeezing 6 people into a regular car.

Car service companies have a variety of vehicles from sedans to full size vans and limos. Taking 2 separate cars is also an option for some people and may be cheaper in some cases. Supershuttle doesn't have a very good reputation in NYC which is why so many of us were concerned that vacationer07 might have gotten ripped off on the price for a private van. This was not case, I'm happy to hear!

As vacationer07 did, it's always a good idea to check prices at a few places as well as get ideas from people with some experience. About 2 years ago, my cousins did not ask for help or info, and ended up taking the "regular" supershuttle which took a very long time AND cost them more than a cab or car service would have.
Old May 25th, 2011, 12:44 AM
cjj

Booked SuperShuttle shared van to get from Manhattan to Newark Airport. The van finally picked us up almost one hour late! The company apparently only dispatched a van after I called to say that we were still waiting.
I will never use this service again! It is too unreliable to use if you have to catch a flight.
Old May 25th, 2011, 04:11 AM

SuperShuttle was so late, it took three years to get here.
Old May 25th, 2011, 05:03 AM

Supershuttle has an absolutely terrible record for shared van services. Part of this is a function of the traffic in NYC - if you are traveling around to 4 or 5 hotels in different areas you can easily spend an hour just sitting in traffic. However they also have a bad record for pick ups - in either direction. There was one poster about a year ago who actually missed their flight - while the van drove around Manhattan picking up people at other hotels instead of heading for the airport.

The key is - if time doesn't matter - you're willing to take 2 or 3 hours to get from airport to hotel and vice versa Supershuttle is cheap. If your schedule doesn;t allow that - or you prefer not to waste all that time - pick an alternate means of travel.
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:33 AM

Good tip not to take the regular Super Shuttle with its stops along the way.

I need transport for myself from LaGuardia to the upper west side, on a weekday around 5 p.m. Just me and one piece of luggage. Am I better off just getting a cab, and hoping to share a fare? Or should I order a car, and if so, what service do you recommend?

My four friends are coming into LaGuardia earlier that day, with their luggage. I have the same question for them.

Would appreciate recommendations from New Yorkers. Thanks!
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:38 AM

PeaceOut, you should definitely take a taxi -- just get in the queue, it moves quickly. If you're comfortable sharing a cab with a stranger, ask someone else in line until you find someone going near where you're going. As for your friends, they should do the same, but tell the dispatcher they need a mini-van taxi. They may have to wait a few extra minutes. The taxis shouldn't cost more than $35 all-in.
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:52 AM

Peace-

There are many cabstands at LGA.
There is a cabstand on the right side of the American Airlines terminal, where the cabs queue up.

If you are going to the Upper West Side, ask the driver if he knows how to get the Queensboro Bridge by streets. And if he knows what he doing he should take one of the transverses through Central Park, depending on where you are going.
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 11:34 AM

I just had the worst experience with them this past weekend. Not only did they take over an hour and a half to pick me up, the driver was rude to the point of being mean. There were other people who were waiting longer than I had and his response was to ignore them.
I was so insulted and offended, I chose to not use the return voucher for fear of being treated poorly and not having a timely pick up at the hotel. I found someone at the hotel going to JFK and we shared a cab to the airport...I will NEVER use this company again.
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 12:20 PM
cw

Here is a different experience from two weekends ago. My friend used Supershuttle and when she realized they were only two blocks from our hotel, she got the driver to stop and let her out. So she was the first out. The driver was heading to drop the others off before her. So as said above, an illogical route, but it turned out fine for her.

The next day they called to confirm her pick-up the next morning at 10:00 am. Then they called the next morning at about 9:50 to say the driver was ten minutes away. He pulled up in about five minutes. She got to the airport from 61st and Park Ave. in 20 minutes (Sunday morning). Her experience exceeded her expectations and the pick-up was perfect. I was with her during the calls and for her departure so this isn't a second-hand story.
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 05:23 AM

Newark APO - stay away they made me wait almost 1.2 hours for pickup. I spoke with several employees at welcome desk, this seems to be normal and drivers confirmed angry guests are common. The dispatch this morning Jose was asked for time he just kept saying 5 minutes 5 minutes when asked for a manager he transferred me to closed admin office. when I called back Jose hung u on my causing them to speak with Randy who was helpful. Felix driver was great after dispatch lies and delays .. I would avoid them and go with another or limo or taxi its worth it. Jose laughed and yelled at me thinking he will never be called on it.

First conversation said driver would be in, Second stated 5 minutes, third said driver saw me go out and in bldg, 4th conversation had me go out to lot in which they left me and then tried to refuse my reservation, had to call 800 to finally get picked up. Seems dispatcher like to mess with customers.

Not good if you need to get there, Newark system very broken
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 06:01 AM

Too bad you didn't look for reviews BEFOREHAND
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 06:09 AM

I guess Robert_Carey was more concerned about coming here, registering, and posting on this year old thread than he was to come here first and check out which transportation to use.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -