Search

Tips for Beating the Pound in Britain

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips for Beating the Pound in Britain

Hi, Fodorites,

I’m the editor of Fodor’s England and Great Britain guidebooks, and I’ve been reading some terrific threads sharing your experiences and plans for traveling in Britain, from renting apartments in Scotland to choosing an itinerary for the Cotswolds.

Now I’m hoping for your help with a new feature to be included in the guides called “Beating the Pound.” Earlier this year our London editor, Cate, asked for tips about keeping down the cost of travel in London and England. The response was great, and many comments focused on London, not surprisingly—it’s pricey!

But I know you travel all around England, Scotland, and Wales, and I’d like to start a thread with general and specific advice for keeping costs down beyond the capital. Are bed-and-breakfasts the way to go, or is renting an apartment or a house a better deal? How can you find price breaks on hotel rooms? Transportation can cost a fortune: what are the best deals for car rentals and train and bus tickets? Can families take advantage of special breaks, such as sightseeing passes? Are pub lunches still a good value for saving money on food? Have you found some regions less expensive than others, and has that affected your itinerary?

Just as with our other Word of Mouth features, you’re eligible for a complimentary guide of your choice if you’re quoted. Happy---and well-priced---travels to everyone, and thanks for your help!

Old Jul 24th, 2008, 06:07 AM

Train tickets do not have to be expensive if booked far enough in advance (see thetrainline.com). Two singles are often cheaper than one return. A LOT cheaper.

There are various railcards that can save you money on off-peak travel e.g The Network Card, which allows circa 1/3 off fares covering most of SouthEast England. Note 'off-peak' which usually means weekends and after 10:00am on a weekday. You can take up to 3 adults or 3 children with you, also on a reduced fare. http://www.railcard.co.uk/

Old Jul 24th, 2008, 06:10 AM

Our family of 5 recently travelled to London, and we learned to love the special Family tickets that were available at many museums/sites. For example, at the Tower of London 5 individual tickets (2 adults and 3 children) would have cost 61.50 pounds, but the family tickets was only 46 pounds, a savings of 15.5 pounds! At Westminster Abbey we saved 5 pounds. It really adds up after a few days...
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 06:17 AM

"There are various railcards that can save you money"

Greatly though I disapprove of the principle, people 60 and over can get their train fares even further subsidised by the poor sods who are still paying their mortgages and putting their kids through university.

ANYONE 60 or over, wherever they live and whatever their passport, can go to most stations with a passport or UK driving licence and immediately obtain (for £24) a Senior Railcard that offers more discounts, with fewer restrictions and with greater options of extending the discounts to travelling companions (www.senior-railcard.co.uk/faqs/buying-online#9)
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 06:21 AM
yk

~ Apart from booking train tickets in advance, the First Great Western offers 2-for-1 entries for attractions in Bath and Bristol with a valid train ticket.

~ The TrainLine website charges a small fee for booking tickets on line. One can avoid the fee by booking tickets directly from the rail company website (reuqires registration and a UK address).

~ Consider joining the National Trust membership if one is planning to visit multiple sites operated by the National Trust.
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 06:27 AM

For short stays and even in some cases extended, we have found B&B's to be great value and now so much easier to book as most are online. For example, we booked one night on the Devon coast at the beginning of the August bank holiday weekend for 78 quid, double.
This was a perfect solution on our way to a weekly cottage rental in Cornwall. At 900+ quid the cottage is steep but again, considering its on the water and sleeps 6 adults, the math is a no-brainer compared to costs of three hotel rooms for a week in UK OR in the States.
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 06:34 AM

it's not its

Also, owner of B&B offered to book us in for dinner at the local pub within walking distance.
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 06:34 AM

yk - That is true to an extent, but for certain offers (such as booking singles to beat the cost of a return) you will automatically be rerouted from FGW to thetrainline, suggesting not all offers can be booked direct with the operator.

Old Jul 24th, 2008, 06:56 AM

Take the train- Gatwick Express is what I used and go to 2 for 1 London website and by showing your train ticket you can get buy one get one free at alot of shows and attactions. The website Daysoutguide.co.uk has link to this.
Also Pick up sandwiches at M & S or Pret-a manger and eat in a park. Saves alot of money and great people watching while you eat.
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 07:03 AM

B&Bs and self catering are definitely the way to go. My husband and I sort of set ourselves the challenge of finding a B&B for 60 pounds per night for a double. Tops. Then it is up to me to do the research and I love it! We normally find 4 star B&Bs for that price - even a few 5 stars. B&Bs are normally cheaper and smaller than guesthouses as well.

Someone mentioned getting tips from B&B owners - I wholeheartedly agree. When we book B&Bs we do not even look at those with more than 5 rooms - that is our limit. We love the personal touches they afford. We always book with the owners directly and avoid booking fees that some TI offices charge.

Self-catering is also a great option although you will miss out on those infamous breakfasts! We've been in absolutely stunning self-catering places in the middle of nowhere with rivers running by, sheep bleating, etc. for less than 350 pounds per week (for two of us).

To date the most we have paid for a B&B is 60 pounds per night and that was close to Carnoustie for the Open last year. It is a 4 star B&B - farmstay, actually. We go to the UK at least once or twice per year.

If you do manage to have the breakfasts they are very filling. We just grab a small snack for lunch (i.e. fresh bread at a bakery and a little treat) and then have picnics. Sometimes we splurge on dinners, sometimes we do not. I'm a chef so food is a huge deal to me but you can find great meals for under 10 pounds. (I forget how to make that darned pound sign!)

When in the process of trip planning I contact all the TI offices anywhere close to where we are going for free brochures. Not only do you get to see what you are doing you get coupons and such. On one trip we were able to use four coupons each (food and attractions including castles and such). One particular TI location even asked us to come by to say hi (said she loves Canadians!) and when we did gave us more discount coupons!

As someone mentioned the passes can be a very good value.

As with anywhere else once you get out of the larger centres price drop, sometimes dramatically. We have found northern England, Scotland and Wales in particular to be cheaper than southern England for example. And if you are willing to get off the beaten track you can find some wonderful pubs, B&Bs, etc.

Our first stop when our plane lands (other than take our stuff to the B&B) is to buy several large water bottles. As we always rent a car it is no problem to transport them. Then we fill up our little bottles each day. You can get a huge bottle for a pound or less. We also buy some sort of fruit juice and fill up small bottles with that.

Many sites require you to pay for parking. We always grab maps (the ones we received from the TI offices in advance) and look at the parking situatoin. We park a little ways away and walk. We rarely pay for parking. Sometimes paid parking starts less than a block away from where we park.
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 07:12 AM
yk

~ ATMs remain the best and most economical method to obtain £. However, if one insists on changing money into £ at an exchange booth, I find that the booth inside Marks & Spencer offers the best rate with no commission.
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 08:01 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
• In London renting a flat or using Priceline/Hotwire/Laterooms are great ways to get bargain (or relative bargains) accommodations.

• In the countryside, B&Bs for short stops in an area are fine - usually terrific value when you factor in the usual huge breakfasts.

• For longer stays - full weeks or, in the off season, 3-5 days, self-catering is really the biggest bargain. Especially for families or groups traveling together. Wonderful 3 bdrm/2 bath cottages sleeping 6 or 8 people can be found all over in the £350-£550 range. That is only £7-£15 per person per night.

• For trips w/ significant time anywhere outside of London - the Great British Heritage Pass is one of the very best money savers. It covers about 600 properties all over the UK. All properties owned/managed by English Heritage, Historic Scotland, National Trust, National Trust for Scotland, etc. plus many of the privately owned biggies. Warwick Castle, Chatsworth, Castle Howard, Hever Castle, Blenheim and countless others.

• Pre-booking a rental car before leaving home will save 20% - 40% compared to walk up rates in the UK.

• Many B&Bs will offer small discounts for more than 2 or 3 night stays and/or paying cash.
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 08:22 AM

All types of BritRail Passes, including the England Railpass, have special discounts for groups and families

Kids under 16 get a free pass to match the ones their parents or adult companions buy

and for groups of 3 to 9 people traveling together - the 3rd thru 9th persons only pay 50% of what the first two adults pay

and from Nov-Feb all passes are Off-Peak - discounted a further 20% about - making all the above specials even better.

Passes can be used on any train anytime, including airport services - total flexibility and those type of tickets often cost a fortune - so if desiring flexibility the pass is often a boon if taking just a few longer trips.

And any youth under 26 buying a Eurail Youth Pass (which is not good in the U.K.) can buy any BritRail, England Rail, etc. pass at 50% off - making these a real bargain.
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 08:46 AM

- Rent the smallest car you can be comfortable in. And make sure you price compare when renting a vehicle, it's amazing how different the rates can be.
- Buy a very good map - the AA driving maps are good and plan your sight-seeing ahead of time so you see things that are near to each other.
- Pub lunches can be a great deal and are also very filling. That way you don't need to have a big - and expensive - dinner.
- If you are self-catering, pick up a copy of the local newspaper. You can find great deals at restaurants, free events and coupons for groceries.
- When booking a cottage, check the agency website for 'latest offers' or 'deals'. Sometimes, you can get up to 30% off the price. Also, if there are only two of you, ask if you can get a discount. If a cottage has two or three bedrooms, the owners will be happy not to have to do all that linen.
- Print off walking tours of cities like Stratford, York, Bath etc. before you leave. Or driving tours of places like the Cotswolds. You can be your own guide if you read and plan ahead of time. Many places also offer free tours through the municipal authority - check these out on their websites.
- Lots of the best things Britain has to offer are already free - put aside your list of 'things I must do' and enjoy the views, walks, seaside, local fetes, boot sales, talks, church services, window shopping, people-watching, etc.
- If you are staying for a week or more in a cottage, investigate joining the local library as a temporary member. You have free access to the internet, newspapers, magazines, etc.
- Definitely check out the variety of charity shops. You can buy clothes, knickknacks, purses, CDs, paperbacks, dishes for your picnic basket, etc. And you are helping a worthy cause.
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 09:10 AM

bookmarking for upcoming trip - thanks
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 09:26 AM

The Great British Heritage Pass, available form www.visitbritain.com, gets you into all kinds of wonderful places - castles, historic homes, gardens, etc. We used our seven-day passes to see Blenheim Palace, Chatsworth House, Haddon Hall, Conwy Castle, Berkeley Castle, the Roman Baths, Stourhead Gardens, the Fox Talbot Museum, and Lacock Abbey for much less than buying individual tickets.

Hostels aren't just for college students anymore. The YHA network - www.yha.org.uk - has properties all over the UK. Most have double rooms with private or ensuite bath for couples, and they are a good value for families as well.

You can cook your own meals or enjoy a meal prepared by the YHA staff; most hostels offer delicious food using local ingredients. Almost every hostel we stayed at had a pub with locally brewed ales and ciders. It was lovely to come in after a long day of sightseeing, sit by the fire with a pint, and chat with other visitors.

Lee Ann
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 10:40 AM

I've used the Great British Heritage Pass several times and have saved tons of money

and i always thought you had to buy it before getting to the many sights covered but JanisJ corrected me on that and said you can now buy it at many sights themselves - so no reason to hassle over ordering and picking up or whatever - just buy at the first site - i guess - i thought it wasn't so but Janis is always right it seems
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 10:46 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
PQ: I have <u>never</u> recommended waiting to buy the GBHP until one is in the UK. I have only mentioned that IF one leaves it too late to buy from home, that it is available at some airports (LHR, GLA for instance, but not at LGW or EDI), at some TICs and at some of the covered properties.

It is IMO far better to purchase it at home so one has the included full colour catalog to help plan their trip/itinerary.
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 10:47 AM
yk

~ For accomodations, the UK Travelodge chain has some great deals if you book in advance. Called <b>Saver Rooms</b>, the rate can be as low as &pound;19 if booked at least 21 days in advance.
http://www.travelodge.co.uk/saver_rooms/
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 10:54 AM

As others recommend I've always purchased passes prior to trips (i.e. GBHP and others) so planning can be done in advance. I always like to map out where everything is first, make a list of the sites to see, record the prices and see how much I will save!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -