Santiago Airport Arrival Fee

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying into Santiago from the U.S.. We understand there is a $131. fee payable on our arrival. So, if there are two of us, my husband and myself, we'd better have $262 in cash on hand on arrival at the Santiago airport? We are concerned about carrying cash with us. May one pay with Chilean Pesos from the airport ATM machine? I'm pretty sure we cannot withdraw American dollars from the Santiago airport ATM.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 04:13 PM

Or you can just pay the fee with your credit card. Yes, it will be $262 for two of you.

The question I can't answer is that sometimes these charges get processed as cash advances rather than purchases, which means that the interest starts tallying immediately without any grace period and you are charged extra fees for the transaction. I've only paid the fee in cash in the past.

It is good for the life of your passport, so if you do make another trip to Chile sometime, you won't need to pay again.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Jeff. I thought I read somewhere they want only cash, no credit cards. We'll just be sure to have the funds with us.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 06:01 PM

We entered Chile from Canada in November 2007. We paid the fee with a credit card and it was processed normally.

I recall seeing a sign in at the San Jose, Costa Rica airport indicating that credit card payments of the departure tax would be treated as a cash advance.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:44 AM

We also went in Nov 2007. We had the cash since we were told it had to be in cash but the window had the credit card stickers on it so I'm sure you could use credit cards. The fee is paid before you get into the part of the airport with ATMs so I don't think that would be an option.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:22 AM

Gavin, that's what was making me wonder about the way Chile processes the reciprocity fee. Costa Rica handles its airport tax as a cash advance and people are surprised that it ultimately ends up costing them more than the nominal $26.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 05:24 PM

But why we need to pay, well I know that the U.S. and Canada have some rules with Chile persons, but why Mexicans =( unfurtunly I only pay 15 dolars.
Oh and also the kids need to pay it.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 05:55 PM

Chile charges you whatever amount your country charges Chileans to enter your country. If you pay $15, it must be because Mexico charges people from Chile $15 to enter Mexico.

The United States charges Chilean $131 for a visa, so that's why we have to pay that amount to enter Chile.
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 11:55 AM

I Used my American Express to pay the reciprocity fee a few months ago.

The two windows for the reciprocity fee are on the left opposite the bottom on the stairs, or escalator, before you get to the immigration lines. Several people were turned back from immigration so be sure you get your stamp first. There are no ATMs in that area but are after you pass through imm. and baggge pickup. And no, you do not get US dollars; you always get the currency of the country.

Another tip: Read the form you will receive on the flight about what you are allowed to bring into the country and don't bring anything that is on the list or you'll be in for a fine or a stern lecture. A friend had to pay around $80 because she had nuts and raisins with her. All our luggage, checked and hand, was being X-rayed.

It was a great visit and these were minor issues. You will have wonderful time in Chile, it is a beautiful country.