Search

Transferring in Nairobi for Kilimanjaro

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transferring in Nairobi for Kilimanjaro

Hi everyone,
We are looking at a lot of flights into Tanzania that are combinations of different airlines and most go through Nairobi. For anyone that's done this or is familiar with the Nairobi airport, some questions...
First of all, how much time is reasonable for a transfer there? Is an hour and a half enough? We've heard we might have to pick up our luggage and then go back through the lines again, since we are transferring from a different airline to Precision Air.
Second, if we got stuck there because we missed our flight could we get on another Precision Air flight. We've gotten some advice that avoiding the Nairobi airport is maybe the best option.
Third, is it generally safe to stop there right now?
Thanks so much,
Rachel
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:09 PM

Hi Rachel,

I live in Kenya and it is definitely safe to transfer through Nairobi. Things have quietened down here. Even earlier in the year when there were problems in isolated places (not countrywide as was reported), no visitors were targeted or harmed in any way. It was an internal issue which did not affect visitors.

I'll leave others to respond about the transfer times at the airport. Because I live here, I've never transferred direct from an international flight to a Precision Air flight to Tanzania. (We normally drive there, but I think flying is a good idea!)

Hope this helps a little,

Tanya
http://www.wildernessdiary.com
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 04:34 AM

Hi Rachel

Where will you be coming from and what airline?

As it is an international transfer, you may have already checked your bags through to Kilimanjaro. If not, and you decide to collect them on arrival, then you have to pass through immigration (may need a visa depending on your nationality), clear customs, and then check in again. I would allow 3 hours for this process if you could.

If your bags are checked thru, then allow at least 1.5 hours.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 05:21 AM

If your bags are NOT checked thru to JRO, when arriving NBO get one of an agents/reps at Immigration to assist in reclaiming your bags to recheck for the Precision flight.

This will avoid the need to purchase a Transit Visa $20. Also, a good idea to tip the individual who helps you.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone. Is it typical if you are flying two different airlines to have your bags checked through from one to the other at Nairobi so that you don't have to pick them up?
Rachel
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 06:44 AM

Rachel, we check our bags right through from Victoria (Canada) to London to Nairobi to Arusha. So, 3 different airlines and 3 (4 counting Kilimanjaro) different international airports, and we don't have to deal with our bags after the initial check in.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 07:48 AM
dmlove

Regarding safety, my son transferred in Nairobi In January during the height of the "problem" and it was not an issue even then.