Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

What's the most scenic rail trip in Canada?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2003, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're still fiddling around, trying to make a plan for sometime in March. With a Northwest Airlines special of $200/rt (+ some miles), we could fly into Calgary or Vancouver. I'm wondering about flying to Calgary for some Rockies exploration, and then round-tripping on the train over to BC. Is mid-March still considered high season at Banff, et al?
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 07:05 AM

"High" season in the Alberta Rocky Mountains (Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Canmore) is usually considered to be June, July and August. The rates are a bit lower in September to mid-October, really cheap in November to just before Christmas (higher again), January is the second cheapest time to visit, and then February to May has mid-priced (less than June to mid-October but more than November or January) rates.
That's it, more or less. This may vary a bit for each individual hotel/inn etc. Note that "high season" rates are often twice the cheapest rates !!!!
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 07:10 AM
ltt

mid march is very high season - great month for skiing. also be aware that march is "spring break" for schools up here. it's usually the end of march but i'm not sure of the dates this year.
there is a train company called the rocky mountainer http://www.rkymtnrail.com/
it is very expensive but it only travels during the daylight hours and you night over in kamloops, bc.
there is also the via train from jasper to vancouver - it is also a great trip but unfortunatly you go through the rockies during the night.
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 08:25 AM

Let's get our facts straight!!!!
Mid-March may be the best time of the year for skiing the Rockies, but it is NOT high season when it comes to accommodation rates.
After checking through several hotels on the web, I have found that they refer to Jan/Feb to May as "regular season" and have corresponding room rates.
High season is June to August - and the room rates are exactly that - high.
In March you will get much better rates than in summer, and many hotels even offer a few interesting "packages" (room and breakfast etc.). As a matter of fact, we have stayed at Chateau Lake Louise in March just because their rates were so reasonable then.
It's a beautiful time of the year for skiing - both downhill and cross-country, and skating, sleigh rides etc.
So Arjay - your best bet is to check around to see what is available.
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 08:39 AM

I have not been on all Canadian routes but I have done many of them. My favorite route is ViaRail's Skeena. It runs from Jasper to Prince Rupert on restored polished stainless steel rail cars from the 1950's. It comes as close to replicating the gentility of the golden days of trains as any North American train I've been on.

It also travels only during daylight hours so you get to see all the magnificent scenery and wildlife of the Canadian Rockies. Westbound, it departs Jasper and travels to Prince George on the first day. There, you spend the night in a local hotel then get back on the train for the rest of the trip into Prince Rupert.

Mile for mile,this trip has the most spectacular scenery. Because it has dome cars, wildlife is easier to spot along the way. It's a great trip and one I plan to repeat sometime in the next few years.
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 06:17 PM

I love train travel and the trip from Jasper to Prince Rupert sounds fantastic. I have done this trip by car (actually motorhome) and it is equally fantastic. Its called the Yellow Head Highway and offers not only spectacular scenery, but some great stops along the way; Barkerville (a restored 19th Century Mining Town), a Hudson Bay Company Fort which has been beautifully restored and the Kasan Indian Reservation with their spectacular long huts. Prince Rupert isn't much, but Smileys Restaurant at the Marina is worth the trip. Take the ferry from Prince Rupert down to Vancouver. One of our best trips ever.