Quick Oregon report

Old May 11th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick Oregon report

Just wanted to post an update and thanks to all who helped with great advice on our Oregon trip. Especially thanks for the advice for an extra day on the coast. Waking up every morning and starting the day with a walk along the beach is wonderful.

We reached Portland on Friday, stayed at the Marriott Courtyard near the airport. Headed to Eugene Saturday morning, beautiful drive down 1-5. We stayed at the Residence Inn in Eugene convenient for all the marathon related activities. Eugene hosted a great race, any of you planning to run a marathon or a half, highly recommend it. Very nicely done, beautiful flat and fast course.

Monday morning we went around Eugene a bit, to geek out over some some runner stuff(Hayward field etc). Had lunch as recommended at King Estate, well worth the drive beautiful location and it was a lovely day. Everyone told us how lucky we were to have the sun out, though coming from Texas, I'll admit I am not as enamoured of the sun these days.

We went to a couple of wineries nearby. Drove out to Yachats, along the way stopped and did a short hike up to Heceta head lighthouse.

Stayed at the Overleaf Inn at Yachats, absolutely loved it. The next day we hiked some trails near Cape Perpetua. Gorgeous! Day two we left Yachats, drove the Three Capes loop and hiked near Cape Lookout. Stunning views from here. Highly recommend this hike.

We drove on to Cannon beach and stayed at the SurfnSand resort, where we were upgraded to a ocean suite which was fun! Heavenly! Next morning we walked along then beach and had breakfast at the wayfarer's Inn. Then drove out to Indian beach did a short hike there and then drove a bit through near through Newberg, Dundee, stopped at a couple of small wineries. The Willamette wine region is gorgeous, I thought way prettier than Napa. Back to Portland, a sushi dinner at Hama Sushi on Sandy, we stayed at the Springhill suites close to the airport.

Thanks again for all the advice, we are already looking forward to another trip to Oregon.

Old May 12th, 2008, 06:56 AM

Yeah, we know Oregon is beautiful and all..... But, what we don't know is how you did in the marathon. So? ;-)

Thanks for the report back.
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:24 AM

Sounds very nice, what are the rooms like at the Overleaf and what are some of their amenities? We may stay here or at the Channel House in Depoe Bay this summer. ***kim***
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:17 AM

Glad you enjoyed your time here, especially the marathon. The Surfsand is a favorite of ours.
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:42 AM

indie! Great to read your report and happy you want to go back

Yes, I would like to hear about the running also !

Great that you got upgraded!

Thanks for posting!

kim, you always recommend the Overleaf, I thought you had stayed there already!
Read the reviews on TripAdvisor ..
Old May 12th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

LOL beachbum, the race went well. I ran it in 3:53:54, about about two and half minutes faster than my last one, definitely better than I expected.

If you want all the gory details there's a really long race report I wrote(warning fully of obsessive runner stuff)

http://www.runango.com/forums/topic_show.pl?tid=83386
Old May 12th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Kimamom, the rooms at Overleaf were very nice, all rooms have an Ocean view which is really wonderful. We went for the least expensive room, but I think they have some with bathtubs with a seaview etc. But I could lie in my bed and look out at the ocean which is my idea of heaven.

They have a nice spa, good breakfast, its a nice place and I have to thank people on here for the recommendation.
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:10 AM

Sounds like a nice place! ***kim***
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:55 AM

Love the race report, indie, and let me add congrats on the PR. But you marathoners are crazy! My wife has walked a couple; I prefer bicycles!

Hey, what happened to the link I posted for the Overleaf? kimamom? ;-) Here it is again: http://www.overleaflodge.com/. The rooms really are nice.