mistaken as an European

Old Aug 28th, 2003, 08:11 PM
gb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mistaken as an European

The first time, I thought it was coincidence. I was in England, and someone came up to me and spoke Spanish. Then, on the next trip, first someone asked me for directions outside of Venice. Then, when I was in Rome, and someone spoke to me in Italian. When I said "No, I'm American, he said, " You are eating your gelato like an Italian." Then, in southern France, I was walking to my parked car and in France, a couple asked me for directions in French. And I was either wearing shorts or capris, with Avia sneakers or teva. Go figure. My only explanation is that my grandparents and parents are all Italian. PS, Before you ask, I am not a troll. Just a curious traveler.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 09:04 PM

gb, I really really REALLY want to know how to eat my gelato like an Italian. I am not being sarcastic. Please tell me what this means!
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 09:32 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
The same thing happens to my husband on virtually every trip to Europe. It usually involves someone asking him for directions or which train to get on in
French, German or Italian.

We do try to blend in, but I never thought we were all that successful. I guess my husband just looks like he knows where he's going...
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 09:50 PM

Despite my lack of fashion sense and plump figure, I still seem to be taken as a native in England and Scandinavia. I was asked for directions and always spoken to in the local language. I was buying a drink at a book sale fair in Copenhagen, and speaking in English to the clerk. Someone next to me asked me if I were Swedish or Norwegian! Because, of course, Swedes and Norwegians speak English to clerks when they go to Denmark.

I was wearing European shoes.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 08:22 AM
JMM

Happened to me all the time in Italy - I am short and plump and dark-haired and I can speak a little Italian. It did not seem to matter what I wore.
Happened to my husband a lot in England - he is slim and fair and wears glasses.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 08:41 AM

This is funny, because I am European and when I go back to Europe, people think that I am an American, which I am now... I have been living in the USA many years now..and perphas must be something in the air, I dont know what it is, maybe the way I
carry myself, surely must be something about me...I dress conservatively when I travel, dresses, long skirts , capri, sandals etc..,maybe someday I will figure it out..
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 08:49 AM

I am mistaken for a European in Canada, for an American when in Europe, and for a Californian when in Washington D.C.!!
I am a Canadian with an identity crisis!!!
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 08:50 AM

Several years ago we were traveling in the south of Italy. A couple of times, people approached us and started speaking in French. Do we look French, I thought? When we pulled in to park at a "castle", again the attendant came over to our car and started speaking French. "We're American", I said. "Ah, but your license plate is French". Duh!! It never occurred to us that people were looking at our French license plates.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 08:51 AM

This happens to me pretty frequently. I don't look like a tourist (because I'm usually travelling for work) and I don't mosey, but on the other hand I look like a safe sort of person to approach for directions: middle-aged female, not insane, clearly knows where she's going because she's walking there quickly. I don't look particularly Italian or French (fair-skinned and robust by their standards if fairly thin by U.S.), but on occasion even have trouble convincing locals that I'm not (as I speak both languages). Happens in Germany, too, and I speak basically no German.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 09:11 AM

On our first trip to Rome, everyone we encountered spoke Italian to my husband (he is of Italian descent). He told one person he was American, after which he was grabbed by both cheeks and told, "With a face like that, you're Italian!" In fact, he was also felt to be a native in Spain, Turkey, Mexico, etc.

I have been asked questions in French in Paris a couple of times.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 09:24 AM

Well Im an American and when I go to Brazil and speak Portugues to the brazilians they think Im from Italy. The Americans who hear me speak in restaurants in Portuguese think Im Brazilian and when I speak to them in English they can't believe Im American.

In Mexico recently with my Rio T shirts on the Mexicans thought I was Brazilian and I spoke to them in Portugues and didn't let them know I was American because I seemed to be treated better this way. The Americans also thought I was from Brazil but when I spoke English to them they couldn't believe it.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 09:50 AM

this is one of the most pathetic threads I have read in this forum.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 09:53 AM

Come on you guys -- it's Friday -- won't someone tell me how to eat my gelato like an Italian?
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 10:08 AM

If I had a dime for everytime someone thought I was Italian while traveling in Italy, I probably could have funded half of my trip! I have very fair skin and am from Chicago. I finally asked someone who mistook me for Italian why he thought I was from there. He said because I dress very Italian and that I am thin. Apparently, too many people must think EVERYONE in America is fat!!
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 10:26 AM

Dori - That's funny about the misconception that ALL Americans are fat. My friend's daughter just started at the university and one of her roommates in her dorm is from Switzerland. One of the comments the Swiss roommate made was that she was surprised because she expected everyone to be fat!
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 10:31 AM

People mistake me for Brad Pitt all the time. Women chase me down the street waving their panties in the air.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 10:36 AM

Darn, I thought that was really him. I wasted a good pair of panties for nothing!!
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 10:41 AM

I also think it's just trying to make yourself feel good about thinking you are European instead of American. This is really a strange thread.

I think it's just that when people want to ask directions or the time, they just ask anybody nearby without thinking a lot. I don't think anyone assesses the odds that you are European (which wouldn't make you know directions any better if you lived in a different country) vs. Canadian vs. American.

Sure, maybe they souldn't ask someone decked out in an American flag with a Micky Mouse Tshirt, but other than that, I don't think it's a big thought process. I don't think because your grandparents are Italian that anyone in So. France assumed you were a local. This makes no sense.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 11:29 AM

I get asked directions all the time too. I think this is because the other tourists asking directions can't tell the difference between a local and another tourist (me).
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 11:37 AM

Marilyn, I'm not sure there's any cultural gelato difference when eating from a cone, but if you're eating your gelato with a knife and fork... an Italian will hold the fork in one hand and the knife in the other throughout the gelato course (speeds things up a bit since the ice cream doesnt have a chance to melt). Alternatively, an American will pick up the knife in his dominant hand (quite efficient when the gelato is especially frozen), then put the knife down and switch the fork to that hand to eat. I will add that the black "try not to look like a tourist" uniform comes in handy when the gelato ultimately runs down your chin and onto your outfit, as black is better at hiding those double mocha chip stains!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -