Search

Oregon trip advice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oregon trip advice

My husband and I are visiting Oregon and I need some advice on our itinerary.

May 2nd Arrive Portland
May 3rd Drive to Eugene. No plans to do anything, other than stay off our feet.
May 4th Running the Eugene marathon.
Monday: Wandering around Eugene and maybe an afternoon drive to a couple of wineries. is this feasible. We don't want to spend too much time in the car on Monday.
Tuesday: A couple more wineries, then drive to Yachats. We are staying at the Overleaf Lodge there.
Wednesday: Cape Perpetua, and drive around maybe the Umpqua river area.
Thursday: Cannon beach and then back to Portland for the night. Is this possible?
Friday: Fly back home.

Would also appreciate any recommendations for good restaurants in Eugene and near Yachats.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:46 AM

King Estate Winery is nice in the Eugene area. They have a restaurant as well, so you could do lunch or dinner there. I have not been, but a family member who is moving to Eugene has been stopping there for lunches on recent trips to the area and has enjoyed it.

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 07:11 AM

Your itinerary is very doable. I would spend more time on the coast, but that is a personal choice.

About a year ago we enjoyed good food and good service at a good price at Beppe & Gianni's Trattoria.

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 07:53 AM

King Estate is just a short beautiful drive from Eugene and they do have a restaurant there

http://www.kingestate.com/
Close by is the Hinman winery and SweetCheeks - I dont like the wines at Sweetcheeks very well but its a nice setting with beautiful views.
A winery I discoverd recently is Noble Estates - very small- close to Eugene- excellent red wines.

Depends on what kind of food you are looking for in Eugene- the Marche at Fifth St Market is on the upper end

The NorthBank and Valley River Inn have beautiful decks overlooking the river if the weather is nice.

Beppe and Giannis does have good Italian food - give me an idea of what you are looking for.

Maybe instead of 2 days of wineries you would enjoy a trip up the McKenzie Hwy - you could stop at Belknap Springs for a soak in the hotsprings- would feel good after running a marathon.

I live in Eugene so let me know if you have any other ??

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 10:04 AM

I'd also plan more time on the coast. Why not do your Eugene "wandering" Monday morning, have lunch at King Estates, visit Hinman winery, then head to Yachats. It's only about 2 hours. Spend the night you've gained in Cannon Beach. Otherwise, Thursday will be a lot of driving, and you'll be frustrated at not having the flexibility to stop when you might like to.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies everyone. Two votes for more time on the coast, that does sound very appealing.

I'll check to see if I can move around the hotel reservations. We went to Cannon beach very briefly last year after running the Hood To Cost relay and have wanted to go back to spend more time.Any suggestions for hotels in the Cannon beach area?

Kings Estate is a great suggestion. Thanks. Sunbum, I am not too picky on the type of food, but something nice upscale but not overly formal. We both love seafood.

I love the hotsprings suggestion. Sounds heavenly. Would that be on the way to Yachats?
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 07:06 PM

Cannon Beach Hotels:
SurfSand
www.surfsand.com

10 miles south on 101 is the Inn at Arch Cape.
innatarchcape.com

Old Apr 25th, 2008, 07:29 PM

Belknap is in the opposite direction from Yachats, so you'll have to choose between a soak there or at Overleaf. Tough choice.... sigh.....

SurfSand is a great choice in Cannon Beach. It's the family oriented sister hotel of Stephanie Inn, geared for couples, and maybe the nicest place on the entire coast. If both of those are too rich for your blood, I think you'd also like the Cannon Beach Hotel: http://www.cannonbeachhotel.com/index.asp. Nice little boutique hotel sharing a building with Gower St. Bistro, one of the best restaurants in town.

Then again, there's the Inn at Arch Cape! sigh.....
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the Cannon beach info Scarlett & beachbum. The Archcape sounds really nice.

Beachbum you are right sigh... about begins to describe how I feel making these choices. So much to see. Sigh...
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 07:32 AM

Belknap Hotsprings is on the McKenzie Hwy - so opposite direction from the coast -

http://www.belknaphotsprings.com/

Beautiful grounds to walk around -
fun to soak in the springs -
Guess that will be next weekend -
hope the weather will be good - we had a great weekend this past weekend
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link sunbum.

The forecast looks good for race day. high in 60 and lows in the 40's good running weather.