Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Moorea Overwater Bungalows, worth the $?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2003, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to hear your opinions on staying in:
overwater bungalows or horizon overwater bungalows or beachfront bungalows at the Sheraton Moorea for 2 nights before a cruise?? We've never been to this part of the world and don't exactly understand these. If you're in an overwater bungalow, how do you get to your bungalow? Is there a lot of additional walking or ???
I need an education please. The charge more for them, this is all I know.
Thank you.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 11:26 AM
ALF

We have been to the Sheraton, but have never stayed in the overwater bungalows. They are attached to the shore by a pier that you walk along until you get to yours. If you are the outermost bungalow, it will be a little more walking to go to/from shore. We have walked out onto the pier, and it sure looks like a nice place to stay. The lagoon is fairly shallow, well-protected, and calm. You look out your windows, surrounded by the azure-blue lagoon. It is a great view, and looks like a wonderful thing to do, but we are too budget-conscious to do such a thing. I would rather stay in a not-so-scenic beachfront (or behind the beachfront) bungalow, usually for less than half the price, and use the money for activities and other things.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!

For this trip we're pulling out all the stops and want to splurge with an OTW bungalow. I'm also considering The Beachcomber property in Moorea or Tahiti for a couple of nights. Any opinions on these?
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 01:30 PM
sandi

And remember that the $600+/nt for an OTW doesn't include meals, though you might be able to get an "island bkfst" (continental).

Can't comment on the specific resorts you mention.

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 07:03 AM

WE just returned from our trip and spent 2 nights in an overwater bungalow at Le Meridien Bora Bora. It was definetly worth the price as a special splurge. Several things made it very special, the beautiful view over the water towards the main island, the privacy, solitude, exoticness etc.
Ours was far out with an unblocked view and a glass floor in the sitting area to view the fish, and a nice balcony with table and chairs. I do not recall the Sheraton on Moorea but suggest you look for a resort that is placed on a motu or islet looking out towards the main island such Le Meridien and Pearl Resort on Bora Bora. The reason is you get a more interesting view than just looking out to see or a close by shore. You don,t mention going to Bora Bora but having just been to it, Tahiti and Moorea I strongly suggest you try to get to it. It is more beautiful than I could have imagined which is best experienced from the vantage of the motus or water between them and the main island. We stayed at the Pearl Resort on Moorea in a garden room which still had a nice ocean view and found it to be a good resort. Do tour the island, renting a car is a good way.
Enjoy.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 10:35 AM

A few years ago we went to FP and stayed on Bora Bora and Moorea. On Moorea, specifically, we stayed at the Beachcomber. We loved it. The actually room isn't over the water - but the deck is. We stayed at Le Meridien in Bora Bora (it had just opened), and it was just as the previous poster described - absolutely gorgeous. I've heard the Sheraton is fabulous at Moorea - and based on what I know of Moorea, I would definitely do the OWB there. Going to FP - don't miss the experience of doing an OWB at the hotel............................
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 02:42 PM
DJE

Have stayed in the Horizon OWB at the Sheraton on Moorea last Sept. and can definitely recommend them.

They are nicely appointed with all the necessary ammenities and staying over the water is just great. The lagoon waters are so clear and beautiful. We had a bungalow with a sunset view near the end of the pier and thoroughly enjoyed our location etc. The deck area is large and you can just climb down a ladder and swim in the wonderful waters.

The resort overall is very nice and you never feel you are overrun with tourists even when the resort is full.

Definitely worth the extra cost if it's within your budget.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 10:46 AM

DJE, I've been trying to figure out the different otw bungalow classifications from the Sheraton site. You mentioned a "horizon" otw bungalow. What does that mean exactly? What other types do they have? What is considered the "best"?
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 11:18 AM
DJE

KansasKate,

I believe the horizon OWB's are the further ones out on the pier. We had asked for a horizon with a sunset view and were fortunate to have gotten our choice, however there is no guarantee that what is requested is what you will end up with.

I would consider the horizon units as the better location in my opinion because I liked being away from the beach area ( personal preference ). Either way, if you choose this resort I think you will enjoy it. DJE