Montepulciano or Montalcino

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2003, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've been to both and I can't decide which I prefer. We are going again this September with friends and may only be able to do one of the two. Which would you suggest we "sacrifice" and why? Thanks so much for your help with this potentially difficult decision.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 03:07 PM

Answer the following question and your decision will be easy:

Would you rather drink and/or buy some of the best red wine in the world, or would you rather look at architecture and churches?

Actually, since you've been to both, maybe your friends should answer the question.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 03:12 PM

Which town is better for drinking and buying and which is better for architecture and churches
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 03:17 PM

I second Raerose's question.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 03:26 PM

Montalcino is where the Brunellos are grown, considered by many to be the best red wine in Italy. There is a lovely old fortress with access to the battlements, but the base of the fortress has been turned into a wine bar -- absolutely brilliant!

It's a small town, and other than wandering around and visiting some wineries if you can, there's not that much else there. Personally I would combine a visit there with another nearby town like Pienza, also small and do-able in a few hours. I would suggest a stroll, lunch, and some gourmet food shopping (or just looking) in Pienza and wine-tasting at the fortezza, dinner, and a gelato and stroll through the piazza in Montalcino.

Montepulciano is a larger town and has a number of churches, the one outside of the walls is the best known. Someone else might jump in here with its attractions -- I am no expert.

Didn't mean to be esoteric, raerose, but I assumed that since JmVikmanis had been to both towns before, s/he would get my point.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 03:27 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
I went to the castle in Montalcino where you can purchase some dynamite (priced accordingly) Brunellos in the downstairs tasting area. Of course, we went to a wine cave in Montpulciano and bought wine there, as well. I'm guessing that they are talking about Montalcino to drink and Montepulciano to look at churches. My suggestion would be to stay in Montalcino and buy some Brunello, drive to Pienza and pick up some pecorino, then drive to Montepulciano and have a picnic before you take a look at the churches. Remember, "Life is better with pecorino and wine."

Old Jun 16th, 2003, 04:03 PM

Which of your kids do you like best?
It is that kind of choice for me. We are going back in Oct. but will have tons of time to do both--again. The reason I would opt for Montalcino is to include both of the abbeys the same day.
Mt Oliveto Maggiore is:30 north and St. Antimo is :15 south--with lunch at Grappolo Blu in the middle--hard to beat
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Great guidance everyone. I should have figured it out myself. Our friends are big time wine buffs, so the Montalcino decision is almost a no brainer. As I think about it, I also recognize that I prefer the charm of the smaller town as well, just on its own merits. But the wine is certainly a big draw. Thanks.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Bob, is Grappolo Blu in Montalcino or outside it? Sounds like a good plan on the monasteries.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 05:41 AM
Eli

But then Montepulciano has "Vino Nobile", don't they? Made particularly for folks who want to both look at architecture AND drink...
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 06:32 AM

It is in town but hard to find--ask a local. The fancier and more expensive place just outside of town is Boccon di Vino--a divine fixed menu for lunch.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 08:12 AM

We spent a night in Montepulciano, and an afternoon in Montalcino. They are both very beautiful hill towns, you would love either one. As for the differences - Montepulciano is bigger, and has more shops, restaurants, architecture, etc. It's also one of the highest hill towns, so the views are spectacular. Montalcino also had some spectacular views, but seemed a bit more 'stuffy', catering to the high end wine buyers. Both towns had lots of wine shops, but the ones in Montepulciano seemed to be friendlier. I know it's hard to form a good opinion in just one afternoon, but that was our take. Just fyi, Montepulciano was our favorite hill town in Tuscany.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 08:39 AM

Zootsi,

I just loved reading your message.

My wife and I rented a small apartment in Montepulciano....we will be there the end of next week!

Any other tips for the area??
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 02:46 PM

JmVikmanis to get to Grappolo Blu stand in Piazza del Popolo facing north (the tower with the clock is behind you) walk about 100 meters up via Mazzini and on the right in an alleyway will be a sign Grappolo Blu. The alleyway is really just stairs going down, the first landing is the taverna.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Gotta love this site. Can't get more specific direction to a place than this. Thanks all for helpful information. Hope others are enjoying it too.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 11:36 AM

Dick, will you please share your experiences about your week in Montepulciano when you get back. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 01:57 PM

Zootsi,

Do you have any recommendations for accomodations in Montepulciano? Do you know anything about Villa Novella?
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 02:37 PM

Had a great stay with our family at Il Riccio last October. It's small (only 5-6 rooms), family-run, and right in the center of Montepulciano. Get one of the rooms with a great view of the country-side. Very friendly, but not much English spoken. Wonderful little rooftop patio. Highly recommend this place, especially for the price.

http://www.ilriccio.net/english/meuble.html

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 04:41 AM

Our apartment in Montepulciano worked out great! It was located on a street just below ANTICO CAFF POLIZIANO. From our one bedroom a/c apartment we had a view of the countryside. A short, steep alley took us right up to the main street in town.

We used Montepulciano as a base to explore Pienza, Monatalcino, Sienna, San G, Chianto towns, and Orvieto, Cortona and Perugia in Umbria.

MArket day in Montelpuciano was really something to see. Entire stores(packed into trailers) came to the bus station parking lot. Fish marketss, produce, meat markets( which were selling flame cooked rotisserie chickens) were all there along with clothing and plenty of shoes.

The town itself is really a throwback to an earlier, slower pace. We visited a workshop where handmade copper cookware and pots were mad by a third generation craftsman in a workshop that looked hundreds of years old. The copper is sold in a shop in town by the man's daughter. Incredible cookware.

We witnessed a funeral and wedding intown. In both cases people walked through the streets carrying large floral arrangements. It looked like something out of the Godfather.

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 04:57 AM
jmv

Dick, do you recall which day is market day in Montepulciano? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -