Insect repellant and sunscreen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for what may seem silly questions. We'll be in Venice and Florence, both famed for nasty blood-sucking bugs. Do people use repellant during the day, or only at night to sleep? Do you get common spray (e.g., Off) or the more potent stuff from a camping store? On sunscreens, we'll need enough for 2-1/2 weeks for 4 people and don't want to take too much with us -- is good quality sunscreen available in Italy at a fair price?
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 08:52 AM

Honestly, I don't see the big need for insect repellent unless you are planning to spend the night in an open room, or are going to hike in the woods. If you do stay in a non-air-conditioned room and open the windows, there is a possibility of having a visit from some mosquitos, so using a little repellent at night will help. If you are dining out of doors at night, you might likewise consider a bit of repellent on your exposed skin. I have never used repellent myself, and I have visited many parts of Europe, always in the summer, with no insect bites. But I have almost always stayed in a room with A/C.

As for sunscreen, a small bottle will go a long way, so you might as well take a good brand with you. I use a brand called "Bullfrog" with SPF of 36. It's the best I've found, and a small 5 ounce bottle will probably take care of your trip for everyone. Besides, you probably will find that you won't need it every day. It's usually good to pack some kind of soft collapsible hat with a brim to help shelter you on the intensely sunny days. If worse comes to worse, you can buy sunscreen in any major shopping area in Italy for a reasonable price. Good luck.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 10:05 AM

We've been to Venice 3 times and never seen a mosquito. So I guess it's the luck of the draw, or maybe it's where you stay in the city.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 10:35 AM

It can also be a matter of whether you're prone to insect bites or not. During our annual summer holidays to Greece, I always smother myself in jungle-strength repellant, both before I go out in the evening and again before I get into bed and I count myself lucky if I get bitten less than half a dozen times in two weeks. OTH my husband hardly ever uses the stuff and rarely gets bitten at all, even though we're in the same place at the same time. I think I must have the insect equivalent of the golden arches above my head!

As far as sunscreen is concerned, I think Wayne's advice about only needing one 5oz bottle between 4 people in 2 1/2 weeks is reckless to say the least. I understand that research has shown that using too little of a high factor sunscreen can actually be more dangerous than using none at all, since it gives you a false sense of security and encourages you to spend far more time in the sun than may be good for your skin type.

My advice would be to take a big bottle of whatever factor you know from experience you need for the first few days and apply it liberally and often, but you probably already know that. When you run out, you won't have any problems getting more.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 11:25 AM

I don't mean to alarm you, but four of us were in Venice last July for a week, and were bitten almost constantly. Apparently, while we were there it was unusually wet and damp, and that may have been the problem, but just the same, I'd recommend bringing whatever you know will work for you . Ditto with sunscreen. Bring more than you need, and take the rest home. I've found that most of those over the counter items are more expensive in Europe than in the States. Plus, you won't have to worry about the possibility of an allergic reaction to a new preparation.

Good luck, and have a great time! Hopefully, you'll have better weather than we did.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 01:31 PM

we had to visit the farmacia for insect repellent, and also for itch cream, after a few nights in florence..well away from the river..and during the last week of october.
but only my sister and i were bitten..my husband got off with nary a nibble.
sunscreen...take what you are used to..
and what i do is put it into smaller bottles (like hotel shampoo size) and discard them as i use them.
leaves a little more packing room when i need it.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 06:03 PM

Guess I've been lucky in Venice--normally I'm a mosquito magnet. I was almost eaten alive in Florence.