Search

Hanalei Bay Inn

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2003, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hanalei Bay Inn

Does anyone have any info on this place. They don't seem to have a website.Any other accomadations in Hanalei or should I do the condo thing in Princeville ?
Old May 28th, 2003, 04:58 AM

Perhaps the name of the place you are looking for is "The Hanalei Bay Resort"?
Some contact info for HBR:
http://www.hanaleibaykauai.com/
5380 Honoiki Road, Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii 96722
Toll-Free: (800) 827-4427 ? Telephone: (808) 826-6522
Fax: (808) 826-6680
I can provide more details about our stay in hotel room and condos at HBR if you like.
Old May 28th, 2003, 05:15 AM

Here is another possible link for the Hanalei INN:
http://www.hanaleiinn.com/pages/881848/index.htm

Reservations 1(808)826-9333
Old May 28th, 2003, 11:12 AM

To John D. I am going to the Hanalei bay resort in Jan 2004 I would like to know a little about the place if you are willing to share your info with me.. Thanks jaybee= just staying in a hotel room for 6 nights, any info would be great ...
Old May 28th, 2003, 11:19 AM

We stayed there about 5 years ago and I was not impressed at all. It looked like it could of been a nice place at one time but it was going under some renovation at the time. All I know is the mattress was the filthiest I've ever seen (yes I look at mattresses)and had wanted to check out but was with a group. Other than that, it had a nice "Hawaiian" atmosphere and the surroundings had potential. Let me know if things have changed (and purchased new mattresses). Good luck!
Old May 28th, 2003, 11:41 AM

That sounds scary- already booked. When were you there?
Old May 28th, 2003, 11:52 AM

Ultimate Kauai Guidebook says it's 4 studio apts. Here's an aerial view to show you where it is in relation to the water. http://www.wizardpub.com/kauai/krhanaleiinn.html
Old May 28th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

I did find some information on Hanalei Bay Inn.It looked run down.I'm looking for a quaint place to stay in Hanalei for 1 woman and teenage son for under $100 per night with kitchen facilities.I don't plan on spending alot of time in the room. I want to be within walking distance to restaurants and the beach. I was looking at condos in Princeville but I wanted something more Hawaiian. How are all these studio apartments or little shacks I've seen advertised? I will be in Kauai 11 days, 7 North and 4 South.Also any quaint places in the south anyone can recommend(cheap).
Old May 29th, 2003, 04:28 AM

Reply to raineday23: Thanks for enlightening us about the H.B.I. I found some info. at www.frommers.com
about the Bed, Breakfast & Beach at Hanalei Bay, which is listed in your price range.808-826-6111 P.O. Box 748.

Reply to jaybeen our second visit to Kauai(Feb 2002) we stayed at the Hanalei Bay Resort which is next to the Princeville Hotel. We started with a hotel room with an awesome view of the Bali Hai Mountain Range and Hanalei bay. Our hotel room was small and had A/C but we had asked for a room with a kitchen, so we switched to a one bedroom mountain view suite (condo) without A/C, but with Ceiling and later floor fans we enjoyed it much more than the hotel room as it had a full kitchen, washer/dryer, and was about twice the size of the hotel room. The HBR is located in a scenic tropical setting, some say it is among the most beautiful places on earth. I believe HBR to be a good value, it is not the worst we have stayed at on Kauai and also not the best (best was an ocean front condo in Pville Resort), but if you need the 5 star resort experience Kauai has other offerings (e.g. Princeville Hotel, Hyatt). The HBR will give you a golf cart ride to and from the Beach in front of the Princeville Hotel. You can get discounts at the HBR's own Bali Hai Restaurant and for activities if you attend a painless time share presentation. The jacuzzi was always occupied unlike the pool. The only HBR services that we used was the concierge, who was available and helpfull in helping us arrange activities-however, suggest that you refer to the "Ultimate Guide to Kauai" (available at Barnes&Noble bookstores) before deciding on activities.
Be sure to check out the Princeville Hotel regardless where you stay (many restaurants with sunset view). The beach in front of the Princeville Hotel is good for snorkeling and swimming, but if you travel north you will find outstanding beaches, mountain hiking trails, and river activities. There is also a nearby heliport for aerial tour of Kauai and Napali coast. If it happens to be raining or the ocean is rough in the north, we found that by driving south to the Poipu area, that the conditions were favorable for beach going or hiking activities. We now find it more to our liking to stay at condo's over hotels. Condo's can be located in Hawaii magazine or searching online. Enjoy your stay in Paradise!
Old May 29th, 2003, 06:40 PM

This is a review I wrote for epinions.com from my stay that was dated 10/14/00. I understand that not much has changed in terms of the hotel rooms; the timeshare suites are supposed to be much better. But my comments on the facilities are still valid. (The hotel I refer to in my review as the Outrigger is now the Radisson.)

Hanalei Bay Resort - What Is All The Fuss About?
Oct 14 '00
Pros
Nicely Landscaped; Abundance Of Tennis Courts; Walking Path to Beach
Cons
Old, unrenovated Rms(Hotel Units); Intrusive time share literature omni-present; Limited facilities

Full Review
Having just completed a 2 night stay here (Bougainvillea Section, 2nd Flr.)I can't for the life of me understand what all the fuss about this place is. My hotel room resembled a Days Inn motel standard(everything was old, the shower curtain wasn't long enough, the mirror all scratched and chipped, no soapdish, crummy pillows, motel-style paper-wrapped tumblers, time share literature ALL over the rm.)
Check-in was un-professsional;I was asked to sign 2 separate, cheaply photocopied slips of paper: One stating that I understand that a replacement rm. key is $15, and the other verifying that I turned down using the rm. safe for a daily fee. ( Why must I 'sign' and attest to these things?)
As for The Bali Hai Restaurant, although the view is beautiful, the restaurant decor and appointments itself resembled a cafeteria or camp lodge; nothing except the view was inviting about it. The display for the restaurant menu was actually a timeshare invitation( It had the mandatory legal disclosure in big lettering at the bottom, with an 'invitation' for a free $100 dinner for two in big lettering at the top of the display)The property is dead by 10pm; even the lounge was closed. Although the pool is very nice, no poolside service is available. There were 'Do Not...' this and 'Do Not...' that signs posted everywhere on the property. One good thing was that there are plenty of tennis courts for players.
The grounds are nice, but not any nicer than the majority of hotels all over the Hawaiian Islands.

This hotel garners raves and 4 star ratings, yet I don't feel how this so-called 'resort' differs from any of the Outrigger or Aston Hotel chain hotels; the decor, the rooms,amenities and facilities are on par with any of the hotels in the aboved named chains.
To sum it up, this 'Resort' is more like your VERY average time share property; except that it happens to be in one of the most incredible spots on earth. But credit then should be given to Hanalei Bay, and the general Princeville Community (Which is the community which the hotel is located in), not to HBR.

As an aside, I don't have to stay at a 'mega, super luxury resort' to enjoy a hotel; in fact, 3 yrs ago when I was first in Kauai we stayed 2 nts at The Outrigger Kauai Beach Resort in Lihue and 2 nts at the Hyatt; I found the stay at the Outrigger to be just as enjoyable as our Hyatt stay,( That Outrigger had a very nice pool, large, clean rms, and provided a free Lauau - type show too!)and it was 1/5 the price of the Hyatt.
This trip, our 4 nts at the Hyatt FAR exceeded our enjoyment than the stay at the HBR. ( Again, ONLY considering the hotel property, NOT the location)
Old May 29th, 2003, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Just to make everything clear to everyone the Hanalei Bay Inn and the Hanalei Bay Resort are not the same places. The Hanalei Inn cost about $75 per night whereas the HBR goes for $200 or so.
The only reason I was looking at the Inn is I thought it might be a good thing to stay right in Hanalei.The condos in Princeville seem a little insulated if thats the right word.