Search

Grand Cayman Pictures - For Those Interested

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Cayman Pictures - For Those Interested

Hey there,

I've now been down in Cayman for about two weeks and thought I would share some pictures that I have been taking for those that are interested, and/or are planning a trip here.

I'd be happy to answer any questions!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24217222@N02/show/
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 04:13 PM

thanks for sharing. i am planning a cayman trip in fall or spring. we'll be looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom villa - if you see any good locations. we are thinking on the north coast. looked at a couple on the east coast, but that seems more remote. how are the beaches on the east? our main focus will be snorkeling.
where are you staying? the yellow/gold building? what do you think about the restaurants? any favorites?
sorry for so many questions. i need to do more research...
enjoy the rest of your trip.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Hi there,

Actually I landed here in Cayman at the end of February for a 2 year work permit - so no going home anytime soon for me.

One of the best resources (that I've found anyways) is caymanvacations.com They list various condo rentals along 7 Mile Beach and West Bay.

This is your first time in Cayman? I would recommend staying on the 7 Mile Beach area. If you want a quieter side to it stay on the North End of the beach. You can still see the incredible beach and take part in the restuarants, activities, etc., but at night it is much quieter.

I've been up to Cemetery Beach - which is about 3/4 of the way up 7 MB and it is a great snorkelling spot. Lots of different reefs to explore - its apparently a hot spot for snorkeling.

That being said I have seen people snorkel all along 7 MB and Smith Cove (a little to the south of Georgetown). In fact...I saw someone catch a HUGE parrot fish in front of the Marriott about 10 feet offshore - so there are big and little fish for viewing right there!

I am actually staying in an area called Snug Harbour which is on the canal system about 1/2 way up 7 MB (but inland). It's a GREAT location - close to everything but out of the way of the crowds. However, I will be moving in to Treasure Island on the east end of 7 MB in about a week. Can't wait! They are also on caymanvacations.com However..it's quite a busy resort so might not be what you are looking for (though there is snorkelling right off the beach).

The yellow and white building in the pictures is actually Casa Caribe I believe. Right in the middle of the strip.

I am heading to Eduardo's restuarant tomorrow which is across from the Ritz....it's apparently excellent Italian food - so I will post with my review.

I've also been to Coconut Joe's...great fun..simple food and plenty of beer.

Old Mar 11th, 2008, 10:59 AM

How lucky are you to be in Cayman for 2 years. What great fun. What kind of work do you do and is there a lot of paperwork involved in pulling something like that off?
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 05:21 AM

Nice pics Camelbak! My husband and I are actually planning a trip to GC the week of May 12th. This will be our second trip altough back in October 1999 we did not get to enjoy the island due to Tropical Storm Irene!! Needless to say, the storm put a real damper on our trip. Anyway, now that we are returning I'm a little concerned about the rain AGAIN. Just my luck would have it, I've read that May tends to be one of the rainiest months. Can anybody shed some light on past trips during that month? Of course, I understand that nobody can predict the weather. Thanks!
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Hi there,

The longer I am here, the more I realize how very lucky I am that I was granted a permit.

Holy smokes!!! A mosquito plane just flew like 75 feet over me! Whoa!!

Anyhoo....

I have been granted a work permit as a paralegal in one of the law firms down here...and yes there was lots of paperwork..but all in all pretty painless. You have to receive the job offer, and stay off island while you are waiting for approval..which took about 7 weeks. All told it took me 3 months from accepting the offer to getting the permit.

I have a DH and 2 children who will be following me down here in the summer (once school is out) and DH is currently looking for work down here through an agency.

You can get a temporary work permit much faster...but it doesn't pay as well and no guarantee that you will be able to stay on Island once it expires.

It's fabulous down here.

For the weather question - the locals have considered that the weather down here has been stormy for the past few weeks. It's been on and off clouds and brilliant sunshine, with showers thrown in. It seems to rain mostly at night, and only once during the day (yesterday) did it rain for about 1/2 hour at lunchtime and then it cleared right up. I've heard that it is pretty unheard of to have rain throughout the day. That being said...even with the clouds and showers it has been averaging about 28 degrees C every day with a low of about 24? So if your coming from a winter climate this will be perfect for you. May is supposed to be even hotter.

HOpe that helps and glad you like the pictures!!! Promise to post some more soon.

Oh..here comes the plane again.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 04:08 PM

Pics are great! We aren't going there until Dec 09. can't wait! Looks wonderful. We've booked a condo at Turtle Nest Inn. I know its a bit off the beaten path but that's why we've picked it. I hope it lives up to its reputation! We are only coming for a week so I need the list of the top 3 things to see and top 3 places to eat!
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Well, a day on 7 MB is definitely called for. A day of snorkelling and a boat trip up to Stingray City are all must do's for sure!!!!!
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

More pictures are posted on Flickr!!
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 06:23 AM

Great pics camelbak - what a great time you are having. This is a comment for cherylm57 - not to dampen your enthusiasm for your trip but just be aware that Turtle Nest Inn is right on the main road. Although it is away from the main tourist areas it's not really off the beaten path.
I know it ranks highly and lots of folks love it but I was quite disappointed in its location when we drove by as I had bookmarked it for possible future visits. Just don't want you to have this image in your mind of it being in a very quiet peaceful part of the island. I guess the secret is to make sure your room is facing the ocean which I think all the rooms do at the inn but if staying at the condos you might want to think about that. Just thought I would pass on my observation.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:49 AM

Thanks for posting the great pictures!

We'll be in there in about a month... but only for a week. You are lucky