Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How long to walk from Arc de Triumph to the Louvre? AND How far is place de la Bastille from Gare de Lyon?

Search

How long to walk from Arc de Triumph to the Louvre? AND How far is place de la Bastille from Gare de Lyon?

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2003, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I'm working on my Paris itinerary and I have a couple of questions:

If we were planning on taking a leisurely stroll from the Arc de Triomphe to the Louvre (going through the Tuileries on the way), about how long would it take, roughly? I mean, we're neither power walkers nor old ladies with canes. We won't be needing to stop and inspect every store along the way, but neither will we be rushing blindly along. We're a 30 year old daughter and her 51 year old mom who are in decent shape. Anyone care to guess on a ballpark figure?

Also, how far is place de la Bastille from Gare de Lyon? Is it within reasonable walking distance?

Thanks in advance,
Jennie
Old May 8th, 2003, 12:49 PM

What a good question! I have done it but with all the looking and stopping along the way, I have no idea how long it took.
It should be within an hour to an hour and a half. I think
Old May 8th, 2003, 01:07 PM

Jennie - I've done the Louvre to the Arch of Triumph in the past and it didn't seem to take very long. Going in the direction from the Arch you will be going either downhill or on flat round. I just measured the distance on the map and it's about 3 miles.

adrienne

Old May 8th, 2003, 01:09 PM

Place de la Bastille to the Gare de Lyon is less than a 15 min walk.
L'arc de triomph to the Louvre could be done comfortably in 45 min. so 1 1/2 to 2 hours would not be rushing and would allow some window shopping.
Old May 8th, 2003, 01:10 PM

Jennie - forgot to respond to the second question. It looks like about 6 long blocks. Never walked it so I don't know how much time it would take. It's one metro stop in case you didn't want to walk.

adrienne
Old May 8th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

You guys are, as always, so very helpful! Thanks a bunch. I'm just trying to get a general idea on both questions, so what you've provided will work just fine.

Thanks again,
Jennie
Old May 8th, 2003, 04:04 PM

The distance from the center of the circle around the Arc de Triomphe to the center of the Louvre complex is 3.3K.
(It is almost exactly 33 cm on the Michelin #10. At 100 meters per centimeter, it multiplies out to 3.3K. The grids on that map are for some unknown reason not precisely half a K.) The 3.3 K distance comes out to about 2.2 miles. Given that you don't walk in a straight line to get away from the Arc itself, the actual walking distance is going to be closer to 2.5 miles.

The distance from Gare de Lyon to the column in the center of Place de la Bastille is almost exactly 1K.
That is about 6 tenths of a mile.

Old May 8th, 2003, 04:58 PM

My husband did that exact walk, plus more. We walked from our hotel in St. Germain to the Louvre. We strolled from the Louvre, stopped in a few shops and sat for a cafe on the champs. We kept going to Trocadero (near Eiffel Tower) where we had lunch, and walked under Le Tour. All this in about 1/2 a day taking our time, and sitting occasionally. It was a very pleasant walk, nothing planned except the general route. The good thing is if you ever get tired along the way you can hop on the Metro! I've done that before on other itineraries
Old May 8th, 2003, 05:23 PM

Wow. Even as an old backpacker, I am impressed with that much pavement pounding. That is quite a distance.
I bet it was worth it, however!!
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:07 PM

We've done the Arc de Triomphe to Louvre walk a bunch of times, en famille and with me alone. Obviously, I go faster when alone, but it's easily done in 45 minutes without huffing and puffing. I do admit to being a fast walker, but in Paris I try to slow down and look at the details.
I've never walked from Place de la Bastille to Gare de Lyon, so I can't speak to that.
Old May 9th, 2003, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

You guys are GREAT! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I am SO excited about this trip and I appreciate, very much, the advice from my fellow travelers. You are a special bunch!

Jennie
Old May 9th, 2003, 07:29 AM

I did this walk last June, on our 5th day in Paris, so we were hobbling by then, because we walked everywhere else on days 1-4!! We also stopped for ice cream (to soothe the pain in our feet), and a new skin care regimen at a very large pharmacy (the name starts with an "M&quot, so this walk probably took us about 3 hours.

Whatever else you do, get good walking shoes! I can't stress this enough!

Old Jun 26th, 2012, 12:55 AM

We are in Paris now. Our family just walked from Notre Dame to the Arc de Triumph yesterday. It was a long enjoyable walk. Our eleven year old twins did it without complaining. They even climbed the steps to the top of Notre Dame. When we got tired we stopped for a crepe along the way. It can be done and be enjoyable. Wear comfortable shoes and bring water. We have walked just about everywhere we have gone. We do take the metro one way and usually walk back on our long treks. This saves on the melt downs. The boys even walked to the Louvre and completed a lot of it and we walked back. Walking is the best. Just stop, relax and enjoy the views whenever.
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 01:57 AM

Use google.map, enter starting point and destination, select "Walking" and see the time and all the itinerary street by street.
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 02:24 AM

Paris is great for walking - leisurely and with comfortable shoes.

I've walked from the Place de la Bastille (where I was staying) to the Gare de Lyon - very easy walk.
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 01:30 AM

My wife and I took a leisurely and very pleasant 90 minutes or so, but this link shows that you can do it in 50. Hope it helps

http://goo.gl/maps/5whKw
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 01:48 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
When the original poster planned this walk, Google maps did not exist.
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 05:45 AM

And amazingly, people still traveled anyway!