"Twin Hearts" in Kauai?

Search

"Twin Hearts" in Kauai?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Twin Hearts" in Kauai?

Has anyone ever stayed at the "Twin Hearts" vacation rental in Kilauea, Kauai?

http://www.vacation-rental-kauai.com/twinhearts.htm

We have it booked for a week in April for my birthday, and I was just wondering if anyone has any comments on this place.....
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

BTW, it was a REALLY great little cottage for those who want to stay on the north shore of Kauai. I wrote a review here: http://reviews.homeaway.com/review/l...ntal%2fp210631
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 10:11 AM

Thank you! Definitely bookmarked this one.
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Wow, the latest user review was interesting:

http://reviews.homeaway.com/review/l...ntal%2fp210631

Of course, in the tropics there will be lizards no matter how plush the vacation home! I've never rented any place in Kauai that did NOT include lizards ;-) Even nicer restaurants usually include lizards! The owner of the cottage rental had a very reasonable response. If you are interested in this place, read on down to the rest of the reviews, which are all good.
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 07:13 PM

Aloha from Princeville...

Just a word to anyone who is superstitous about "things that go bump in the night" -- this house is built on the site where several people perished when the houses were washed out to sea by the Kaloko Dam burst of 2006:

Before dawn on March 14, during weeks of extremely heavy rain, the former sugar cane reservoir failed. No witnesses to the breach have been found.

The 400 million-gallon reservoir — the state's fifth-largest — dumped an immense flood down Wailapa Stream's valley. It ripped out trees and scoured the streamsides. When it reached inhabited areas, the water and rolling tree trunks tore buildings from their foundations.

The flood undermined the wall of a dam below it, the Morita dam, severely damaged the foundations of Kuhio Highway, and entirely washed away three buildings on land owned by Bruce and Cynthia Fehring. Seven people had been asleep in the buildings, one of them pregnant. All were lost, and only three bodies were recovered.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 05:41 AM

Hi auntie. Tha is interesting. When I saw the pictures of that house I thought about the flood and wondered if somehow this house were connected some way.

weird
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we did talk directly to the owner about it. His daughter, her husband & grandson were sadly involved. The property is on acreage and that house (that washed away) was located a bit away where the land naturally dips down into a ravine, and where water drains. Normal rain drainage wouldn't cause such a catastrophe; it was only because of the sudden flood from the dam breaking. You can read all about it with an Internet search; a lot will come up. It is thought the dam breaking may have been caused by the property owner (where the dam is located), who is a developer, was doing A LOT of illegal grading, possibly contributing to the failure of the dam. I don't know if it has been resolved, but there was a law suit happening regarding the issue. The "Twin Hearts" cottage is located on higher ground up near the road (Wailapa Road) and not on the ravine where the drainage occurs. I wouldn't be fearful of staying at this cottage...many beautiful sites on the islands do have some risk of course, but I would say "Twin Hearts" is relatively minimal.
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 02:13 PM

We stayed in this cottage in October 2017. We were very disappointed in the cleanliness of the cottage. I don't understand how it gets 5 star reviews. When I brought up my concerns (with pictures) to the owner, he claimed (so he admitted to the condition) that they had a new housekeeper who started in September . The dirt was there a lot longer than just one month. We had ants crawling all over the counter, bugs in the kitchen drawers, geckos in bed with us, flith under the nightstand, which had to be moved to plug in medical equipment. We were refunded our cleaning fee, but should have been given more. This was not a cheap place to stay. I would not recommend renting this cottage.