Help with Hotels on the Italian Riveria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2003, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have 6 days to spend on the Italian Riveria. We were able to book the Hotel Splendido in Portofino but could only book 3 nights. Any suggestions on where to stay the other?
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 09:14 AM

Porto Roca in Monterosso. It is in the Cinque Terre, which are an inredible group of villages.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 11:07 AM

Casey, If I had 6 nites in that region I would not stay at Portofino since it is so isolated. I would stay 3 nites at Santa Margherita, 3 miles away. The Hotel Continental is half the cost, and the other 3 nites in Monterosso at the Porta Roca. That will give you a better feel for that lovely coast.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your feedback. Would it be unrealistic to visit the Lake region for the other 3 days instead? I'm thinking that maybe 3 days would be enough time to vist the Cinque Terre villages from Portofino. Any suggestions on which lake/hotel to stay at?
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 05:27 AM

If you to see the CT then you do not want to stay that far north--at least an hour to the CT. Stay at the Porta Roca for 3 nites and move on. If you want romance and serenity, go to Lago Orta. See www.orta.net Good luck !
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob. This web site has been so helpful. I'll check out orta.met<BR>
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 07:28 AM

If you are doing the splurge to stay at Splendido and have it booked, I'd say stick with it for the three days --it will be a fabulous stay. I assume you're at the original one on the hill, but they share facilities with their new one down on the harbour as well, so there is some variety in the three day stay. And when we were in Portofino, I saw small boats that actually went to the CT -- I believe stopping at Monterossa, and that might be a good way to go see it, assuming you aren't planning to do the full hike between the five villages.<BR><BR>For variety, yes, I'd opt for the other three days in the Lakes -- Bellagio, first choice.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Patrick<BR>Any suggestions on hotels in Bellagio? I think we will keep our reservations at Splendido as it's our anniversay and we don't mind splurdging.