June itinerary Arizona

Search

June itinerary Arizona

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
June itinerary Arizona

We have 4 nights, 5 whole days in June to visit Arizona. I've been to the Grand Canyon and Sedona before (in April), but this time I'm bringing others with me who will see it for the first time. I want to include the Grand Canyon and Sedona in the itinerary, of course, but I'd like to add a little more without overloading everyone. I've checked the mileage already, but I'd like some feedback from anyone who might have done this before - esp. in the summer. We're flying into Phoenix and plan to get out of there as soon as possible, due to the heat. Here are some other places I'm considering working into the itinerary: The Hopi Mesas; Canyon de Chelly; Monument Valley; Painted Desert; and possibly Mesa Verde in Colorado. Now, I know I can't do all of this and that some is best left for another trip. The cabin I want at Bright Angel isn't available the night we arrive, so I'm leaning towards putting the Grand Canyon at the end of the trip. I'd love to hear your suggestions for the best itinerary. TIA!
Holly
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

topping
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 09:42 PM

The problem with most of those places is that they will be very hot in June.

I assume that you're going to Oak Creek Canyon when you're in Sedona and those locations, along with the Grand Canyon can be an enjoyable 5 days. But if you want to add something else, what about Jerome or Prescott, Arizona? They're interesting areas, the weather shouldn't be too hot, and they wouldn't require a lot of additional driving.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response, Shanti. That's what I needed to know. I've been to Jerome, so I wanted to see something different this time. The others in my group haven't, so maybe we should go there. I haven't been to Prescott, so I can look into what there is to see or do there. Perhaps we'll just hang out at the Canyon and Sedona longer, if it just feels too hot to want to travel around.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 06:10 AM

read the grand canyon posts. I shared some information regarding Mesa Verde Mesa Verde one day, and then go into Durango and ride the antique narrowguage train from Durango to Silverton and back in the same day. Try BAR-D chuckwagon dinners and western show for dinner that night.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 10:02 AM

I would not plan on too many outdoor walking activities in June, even up north it can still get really hot.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, jsimmons. I did read the posts but didn't find yours so I'm glad you referenced it. I like your ideas, but am questioning if we have enough time to do it. It would be my first choice, though.

I am also considering just staying closer and checking out Antelope Valley. Is that too hot in June? I'm also wondering if there are chances of flash floods at that time.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 07:32 AM

In June, I would stick with the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, Sedona and Prescott areas. I suppose you go watch the weather in the warmer areas and adjust your plans if it's not too warm.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

I do think I'll keep it to the Grand Canyon and Sedona for this trip, with a possible side trip to Jerome or even Prescott depending on weather and what everyone wants to do at that time. I'll try to come back next summer and focus on New Mexico, including Mesa Verde. Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 07:01 AM

We enjoyed Flagstaff after a visit to the GC in late June 2006. . It is higher elevation, a little cooler. Lots of good museums and day trips (altho some were closed when we were there due to fire danger)
You really don't have much time with only 5 days and driving from Phoenix
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Okay, after talking to some of the others in my group I am rethinking this. They are more in favor of driving a little more to see more. One of the members of my group is limited, physically, so we probably won't do a lot of hiking on this trip. She also likes to see things and then move on. Since this trip is primarily for her, we are considering trying to fit in some more of these places. Maybe I can extend the trip a night or two to make it more workable. I know it will be hot, but we're kind of used to it.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Ok - I thought I had an itinerary put together, but it gives us 2 jeep tours in one day. My husband isn't too excited with that plan...

This is my plan:
Day 1 - Arrive Phoenix AM/Sedona
Day 2 - Canyon de Chelly
Day 3 - CDC(morning)/Monument Valley
Day 4 - Grand Canyon
Day 5 - Grand Canyon/Sedona
Day 6 - Fly Home PM

The problem is with Day 3 because we have a jeep tour of CDC in the morning and a sunset tour of MV that same evening.
I'm struggling to find a better way to juggle these places without adding too much driving time to an already full trip?
Does anyone have an idea or suggestion?

Holly
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

I put this trip planning on the back burner to focus on work, but now it's time to rethink our plans. We extended the trip by one day, so now we have 6 days and 5 nights to work with. Does everyone really think it is too much to fit in Canyon de Chelly and Monument Valley - or that it will be too hot to enjoy them? I have made all of our reservations, but they are cancellable so I can still make changes. One person on our trip gets stir crazy when we are too idle. Others like to relax. I'm thinking that maybe I can cut those two places out of the itinerary and fill up the extra time with some other activities in Flagstaff, Sedona, Jerome, or Prescott. Any ideas would be most helpful. It is hard to plan for eveyone's needs!
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 10:41 PM

I'd skip Sedona on the way home. I'd pick Canyon de Chelly and Monument Valley over Flagstaff, Jerome & Prescott!

If you are worried about heat and want to skip MV and CDC, how about a boat tour on Lake Powell or a float trip on the Colorado River out of Page, AZ.

Utahtea
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, utahtea. I love your suggestions, but one of our travelers has many fears - including boats! We always have to plan around this, which can be a pain, but since she is my best friend in the whole world I have to do it. I've gone back and forth about whether to include CDC and MV in this trip, as you can tell from reading through the posts. I really want everyone to have a good time, but sometimes it's hard to please everyone. I'll try to rearrange our itinerary some more to see if I can avoid 2 jeep tours on the same day somehow.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 06:53 AM

I don't understand why you are going from Phoenix to Sedona and then to Canyon de Chelly.

I would take Hwy 87 to Payson then head up to Holbrook. You could spend the night there, then dip down and do the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert (I would only do the forest part myself) then on to Canyon de Chelly.

Then coming back, I would come down Walnut Creek, through Sedona, Cottonwood, Jerome, over the mountain to Prescott (pronounced press-kit), down Hwy 89, through Wickenburg and back into Phoenix.

It sounds like you won't be outside a whole lot, mostly in a car with a/c, so I really wouldn't count anything out that you can see by car. Sure its hot, but not as hot as July and August!
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Good point, GBbabe. It does make sense from a driving-time standpoint. I guess I'd really rather have more time in Sedona with the sunset views for two nights. Due to the heat, I thought I'd skip the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert. I'm entertaining all ideas, though, so thanks for the idea.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 10:49 PM

CDC you have to do a guided tour to go into the valley. In Monument Valley you can drive your vehicle into the park on the dirt road. All kinds of cars drive in there (unless it's raining or wet). You can go at your own pace and in your air-condition vehicle. There are a couple places you can't drive but there is plenty to see on the parts you can drive. This way you would avoid two jeep tours in one day.

Utahtea
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Utahtea...if I skipped Sedona on the way back, where would you add another day? Would you agree with GBbabe that it is better to go up through Holbrook than through Sedona? I definitely want to take them through Sedona either on the way up or back. I was also thinking of going through the Hopi Reservation area by catching 87 North from Winslow and then 264 East to 191. Is it worth the visit? How curvy is 87?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -