Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

VERY long (and overdue) trip report for Paris and lots of Italy - Umbria (and Florence, Perugia, Orvieto and Assisi), Positano, Capri and Rome

Search

VERY long (and overdue) trip report for Paris and lots of Italy - Umbria (and Florence, Perugia, Orvieto and Assisi), Positano, Capri and Rome

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I appreciate the comments about traveling with friends - I'm sure you have to be good friends to make it work, but also give one another plenty of space, patience and understanding - kind of like a marriage - LOL.

As far as the grappa is concerned, I suspect that it's an acquired taste - I liked what I had there, my wife and friends weren't too crazy about it, and some of the grappa I've had back here in the states really NEEDS to be chilled (ice-cold?) to kill some of the odor and taste. All in all, I still prefer a good single malt.

KC
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 02:43 AM
tod

Thanks for a great read! I have only ever passed along the Italian Riviera many years ago but your trip report has inspired me to visit Italy in the not too distant future.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 05:11 AM

Another thank you for a wonderful report. I admire you and your friends for doing something many only talk about. I hope to spend a week or more in a villa sometime. We keep saying we will and then as we plan, we get sidetracked with the need to see more and scrap the idea of shorter stays in hotels. Combining the two approaches seems to work well.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 10:19 AM

Terrific report! Thank you so much for taking the time to assemble and share it with us.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 04:50 PM

Thanks for what looks to be a great trip report. I haven't been able to read your whole post yet, but am looking forward to it. Where did Sam find Francesco Marrapese? We are staying in Sorrento in April for 3 days and would like to have a private tour of Pompeii as well as a fun driver for the Amalfi Coast. Thanks!
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 05:01 PM

Sam - Loved the report & photos. Fun to see shots of some of my favorite places. Can't wait for your next trip report!
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 06:15 PM

Sam,
I really enjoyed your trip report. You included such valuable information and excellent details. I took a lot of notes for our upcoming trip to Paris and Italy.

Thank you SO much for sharing!

Dina
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 06:21 PM

Janet go to his website which is: http://www.francescomarrapese.com/index.htm

Old Jan 5th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help LoveItaly - I'd left Fodor's for a while. Francesco was a great driver and guide. Silky smooth, reasonably priced, and DEPENDABLE - that's important in my book. I forgot to mention in the trip report that when Francesco found out that we would be needing transport from the ferry in Naples to the train station, he practically insisted that we let him pick us up and take us - sure he wanted the contract, but more than that he genuinely appeared to be concerned that 4 middle-aged Americans (with too damn much luggage!) be taken care of and be cared for.

KC
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 07:43 AM

Great report.

In 1998, we stayed at the Villa Brunella on Capri--our big splurge on a two week trip. We also had dinner there one evening (could only afford one). The view was breathtaking.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 08:55 AM

This is an example of how a great trip report reads. You included so many great details about the food, sights, wine, etc. but didn't forget the all important items like web addresses. Your photos- wow! Just wow!

Now I have to go rework my tentative itinerary to work in Capri and Positano. Grazie!
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 09:08 AM

Bravo! Great read and glad my question was already answered about Francesco! We'll be headed to Rome and still deciding the remaining 4 days (seems like going south is a must!).
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the continuing compliments. Guess I didn't do too bad for a first attempt at a trip report. Although, as I read through it again - one MUST read one's published works - LOL - I come away from it thinking that I'm a grappa lush. It wasn't quite that bad.

Ciao, e buono viaggio!