Trying to Hit 5 of Some Our Tough Remaining States

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2023, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flying into DFW and will be driving from there to MSP by way of Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, Iowa and importantly North Dakota. We have been to Minnesota, South Dakota and Nebraska. After this I just have one state to hit and my DW 6. We have 6-7 days for the trip.

I made a list of a few things that look interesting. These are:
Five Civilized Tribes museum OK
Will Rogers Museum OK
Crystal Bridges Museum AR
Tahlequah Ok
BBQ in Kansas City - Maybe Joe’s, Fiorella Jack Stack’s, Arthur Bryant’s, Q39
World War I Museum
Steamboat Arabia Museum
Since we have been to South Dakota and Nebraska we were not going to spend much time there.

We are open to suggestions that are not too far afield for both restaurants and unusual sites to visit.
Old Jun 9th, 2023, 08:13 AM

In KS/MO you might want to visit the Truman Presidential Library and Museum, the Jazz Museum, the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum and/or the Mark Twain Boyhood Home and Museum.
Old Jun 9th, 2023, 10:51 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Drive north on US 85 from Spearfish South Dakota to get to I-94 in North Dakota. See at least the South Unit of Theodore Roosevelt NP before heading east on I-94 all the way to MSP. If you didn't see Mt. Rushmore in SD, do that before heading to ND.
Old Jun 9th, 2023, 12:33 PM

The Nelson Atkins Museum of Art in Kansas City is beautiful and fantastic. They used to have a nice restaurant/cafe. Check that out.
The St Louis Cathedral is a national treasure. Do not miss it. Forest Park is lovely and the Botanical Garden is wonderful. There are a lot of good shows and concerts in St Louis, especially outdoors in Summer and maybe something you would like at the Fabulous Fox Theater. Going up inside the Gateway Arch is a great experience.

Last edited by Sassafrass; Jun 9th, 2023 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Change
Old Jun 11th, 2023, 08:56 AM

The World War I Museum, Steamboat Arabia Museum.,Truman Library, Jazz Museum, Nelson Museum, etc. are not in Kansas, they are in Missouri. In Oklahoma I can recommend the Philbrook Museum, Gilcrease Museum and the new First Americans Museum. All are very high quality. On the way north from Oklahoma you can stop off at the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve near Cottonwood Falls, KS. You can walk through the tallgrass prairie on trails and see herds of bison. Then you can drive to Lawrence, KS en route to Kansas City and visit the number one destination in Kansas: Downtown Lawrence.
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have added them to my list.

Old Jun 12th, 2023, 01:13 PM

Don't know your timing, but we're also trying to get to all remaining US states we haven't yet visited (we have more left than you do) and for Iowa, we're planning to visit the Iowa State Fair in Des Moines. That's in August. The fair is listed in the book 1000 Places to See Before You Die, which is a resource we consult when we go to new-to-us places. Good luck with your trip.
Old Jun 15th, 2023, 02:17 PM

Definitely go to the Crystal Bridges Museum. It's fantastic.
And do a trip report. I am so curious about your trip. I roughly planned a similar trip for last summer but then our dates changed and we didn't do it
Old Jun 15th, 2023, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by williamscb13
Definitely go to the Crystal Bridges Museum. It's fantastic.
I saw it a few years ago ago and I agree 100%.
Old Jun 15th, 2023, 04:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Another vote for the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve in Kansas, and St Louis.

https://www.nps.gov/tapr/index.htm
Old Jun 18th, 2023, 07:28 AM

Kansas City: Steamboat Arabia - a Must!
WWI Museum - a National Treasure. Be sure to visit Union Station while in the area. A great place for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Nelson -Atkins - if you like Art, a Must! Plan to spend the day and have lunch at the Cafe.
Jazz Museum - a bit disappointing. Don't go unless planning to visit the Baseball Museum as well.
BBQ - Jack Stack's at the Warehouse is one of the best places in town. Arrive early or make a reservation if they offer them.
Old Jul 9th, 2023, 05:47 PM

It's been a few years since I visited Crystal Bridges, but I would 100% recommend it. Here are some of the other things I did in the area: Crossing Crystal Bridges