Greece trip to Meteora and Amorgos

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2023, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a 70 year old woman planning a spiritual pilgrimage to Meteora and Amorgos leaving from the eastern coast of the US on Sept 20. I’m looking for help with things like getting ferry tickets; cheap transportation from the Athens airport to my hotel and the ferry terminal on Amorgos to my lodging as well as transport from the hotel to the train station in Athens. I'd also welcome tips about Amorgos as I have more info about Meteora. I only have a week for this trip which I know isn't much, but it's the best I can do. I have tentative lodging reservation in Amorgos but am wondering if anyone can recommend an inexpensive but safe and clean place there.

Thanks for any input offered.
Roslyn
Old Jun 7th, 2023, 07:36 PM

Roslyn, we can best help you with transport to your Athens hotel IF you will tell us its name!! We are experienced, but we are not Mind-Readers. As a retiree myself, I always use the express bus from the Airport -- X95 -- that goes to Syntagma Square. This bus is VERY safe from pickpockets (a hazard on the Metro), it costs i think 6€ one way, and leaves about every 25 minutes just outside I think the Exit Door 5 of the Terminal (there will b e a sign in Engllish). You buyt your ticket at a booth beside the bus... have some Euros. Inside the bus is a central "pen" where people pile their large bags. When the bus reaches Syntagma Square, you need not rush to get off, because this is the terminus. And you step right off the bus onto the sidewalk. Of course if you have selected a hotel that is very inconvenient, in order to save €€, you may have to take a taxi from Syntagma for €5 - 10. If you take a taxi or car service from ATH airport direct to a central Athens hotel, it is a FLAT FEE, I think now about €40 ... if you take a taxi from the taxi line, you need to discuss this with the driver before getting in -- this is the law, and he needs to know that you know this.

YOUR DATES & PLANS -- when you want help for such a short trip, you need to be SPECIFIC. Since you say you're leaving Sept 20, we can guess you'll arrive Sept 21 --- but at 9 am? 12? 2 pm? In a VERY short stay, every hour matters. ANd you say "I Only have a week" but you fail to give us the key fact -- what DATE is your homebound flight (and what time of day; that also matters). If you have booked a departure hour like 7 Am it will be more expensive for y ou.. because you need to be in line 2 hours earlier, i.e. 5 AM... you need to think about transport back to Airport in the wee hours. Is Dep on Sept 27? or 28? Early or Mid-day? We need to know Dates/Times!

#1 DESTINATION -- METEORA - Are you pllanning a one-day train excursion to Meteora?? (I Think these begin at about 8 am, a long train ride, about 4-5 hours seeing monasteries, and you return to Athen by very late, abour 11 PM. However, if you are thinking about Meteora as 1st destination, it would be FRIDAY SEPT 22 and would have to be a one-day excursion... since no monasteries are open on Saturday; https://meteora.com/meteora-monasteries-opening-hours/ If that is OK with y ou, then you could look for an Amorgos Ferry schedule on Saturday As for transport to the train station, again, how can we help you, not knowing your hotel? Since I believe those "train tours" leave very early, a taxi may be y our best bet. YOu should always have your hotel call a taxi for you and they tatlk to the driver before you get in and get estimate of exact fare.

#2 - AMORGOS - FERRY -- This ferry website https://www.gtp.gr/RoutesForm.asp shows all available ferries if you put in PIRAEUS and AMORGOS and 9th Month and for day, "Any" IT shows very few ferries, since you are going off-season. MANy of them leave around 5:30 pm & get there in wee hours. Your b est bet -- available leaving Piraeus @ 7:40am - arrives Katapola 14:50 (2:50 pm) -- however this is a small Seajet (catamaran) and may be a bumpy ride. There's once-a-week large Modern ferry, BLUE STAR (car ferry, conventional ship, open decks) that leaves near midnight (23: 55) and arrives 5:40 AM at Katapola -- faster trip, smoother ride.... you can buy a "reserved economy" seat with leanback & foot rests, & snooze the whole time. Returning to PIRAEUS, you have more choices... But if your homebound flight is on Wednesday, you need a Tuesday Ferry... The BLUE STAR leaves EGiali 6:55 AM TUES arr PIraues 15:00 (3pm) ... if you have 1 more day, it goes 15:00 (3pm) from Katapola arr Piraues 20:35 (8:35pm) NOTE -- there is NO NEED To book ahead for these ferries, in late Sept they'lll be half-empty .... for convenience sake, you can buy them at any ticket office near your hotel (in Central Athens there are ticket offices EVERYwhere).

AMORGOS LODGINGS -- You don't say whether you prefer Katapola oroAigali -- I always prefer Aigali, but off-season Katapola may be better... and I think that's whre the busses run to that Monastery by the sea. There's a fellow on Rick Steves Travel Forum who loves Katapola -- here are photos he posted of his stay there -
/ NOTE -- to see those Amorgos photos, just click on the one shown..

Wherever you stay in Katapola will be very cheap in late Septemmber I'd be surprised if more th an €40-50 per night & probably include breakfast. I usually browse on booking.com - https://www.booking.com/region/gr/amorgos.html -- put in your dates -- and when a list shows up, instead click on "Show on Map" - click on a blue "balloon" where the price appeals, and check the descriptions.. There seem to be many decent rooms at about €150- 160 for 3 nights. TIP when inquiring about accommdatins in small Greek hotel do not express anxiety about whether they are "Clean" -- they are insulte and rightly so. I've stayed all over Europe, and in VERY small inexpensive Greek places, and they're the cleanest around! Sparkling.

Last edited by travelerjan; Jun 7th, 2023 at 07:40 PM.
Old Jun 17th, 2023, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

(Thought this had already been sent - apparently not).
Attachment 8111Attachment 8111
Resp To: Fodor's Travel talk Forum. Thanks so much for your informative note. I am happy to provide exact details of my trip so that you can better assist me. Your input is making all the difference in the world after months of searching for real help.

I am flying from Boston to Athens through Dublin arriving in Athens on Thursday, Sept 21, at 12?05 pm. I am due to return to Athens on Wednesday, Sept 27 to spend the night and flying out on Thursday the 28th at 12:55 pm. I have a tentative reservation in Athens at the Athens Connections Apartments for that night. I also am trying to get a reservation for the night of Sept 27 and one night in between my visits to Meteora and Amorgos (night still needs to be determined).

I want to ltake the train to Meteora on Sept 22 where I will stay for 2 or 3 nights. I have tentative reservations at the Boutique Holy Spirit ex Guesthouse Plakias for sept 22 and leaving monday Sept 25. However, I don't know if I need more time to return to Athens and then go to Amorgos. I also have a tentative reservation in Kastraki at the Thalia Rooms for Sept 21 - 24. As you can see, I'm still trying to sort out whether I'm going to Meteora first or Amorgos and how long I'll stay at each given the limitations of my trip, I initially wanted to stay 3 days at each, but that is not to be.

I have tentative lodging reservation at the Nostos Studios in Aegiali on Amorgos for Sept 25 - Sept 27. Returning to Athens where I would stay that night before flying out the next day.

So, I can use help with getting to and from the Athens airport to
Athens Connections Apartments on a couple occasions.
Help getting to the train station to Meteora from the Athens Connections Apts and back.
Deciding on the ferry to Amorgos and transportation to and from my lodgings there.
Getting train and ferry tickets.
Is it better to go to Meteora or Amorgos first or does it make any difference?
Is there a way to get to either Meteora and/or Amorgos without having to spend the night in Athensin between traveling to Amorgos and Meteora?
Where is the best place to to exchange US dollars for euros?
Where is the best place to rent electric bikes or mopeds?
Recommendations for food and other lodgings in both places.

Thanks so much for your help. This is the assistance I have been eagerly searching for. Let me know if you need more info from me.
Gratefully,
Roslyn onse to Fodor's with specific info
Old Jun 17th, 2023, 08:50 AM

With the limited amount of time you have you'll lose time getting to one destination to the other especially if transportation to/from them is not convenient.

You may have to decide on one location that is more important to you than the other.

Athens deserves at least 2 days with 3 better to fully experience what it's all about. There's more to Athens than just the tourist sites.

I haven't been to Meteora so can't comment much on it but it does involve a long time getting there and returning especially if you use the bus. Even a train will take time and you may have to transfer to get to Meteora. I know there are group tours which are convenient but tend to be costly.

The ferry ride to Amorgos will take hours. I took the ferry from Amorgos back to Athens and it was a 9 hour trip with stops at 5 islands along the way. It may be a shorter ride now but I would think maybe 7 hours one way but you would have to search on one of the ferry websites.

You may want to reconsider what's more important for your trip or maybe combine an island closer to Piraeus like Aegina which has far more options for departures and it's a much shorter ride, plus it's one of the most over looked Greek Islands.

FYI: I'm the "fellow" regarding Rick Steves forum (plus others) and can highly recommend Amorgos as it's one of my top 3 favorite Greek Islands.

Last edited by crazyh; Jun 17th, 2023 at 08:53 AM.
Old Jun 17th, 2023, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your response. What is it that makes Amorgos one of your top 3 favorite Greek Islands?
Old Jun 17th, 2023, 08:17 PM

Greece 2023 -- I think this person is not so interested in the island ... she is interested mainly in the church that is at the water's edge. She says she is making a spiritual pilgrimage. I also think she is not that interested in the scenery of Meteora, but in the monasteries.

Personally I wonder why people are interested oin monasteries that are built on top of skyscraper pillars, where in the past women were barred --- specifically to escape the company of women, who apparently in theiir interpretation of scripture, are the source of temptation and downfall. But I guess I'm biased, being a woman.
Old Jun 18th, 2023, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Greece2023
Thanks so much for your response. What is it that makes Amorgos one of your top 3 favorite Greek Islands?
My experience was based on an early October stay.

It has everything one would want in a Greek Island except the hordes of tourists and high prices.

Beautiful villages, scenery, beaches, archeological/historic sites and one of the most spectacular monasteries in Greece, Monastery of Hozoviotissa in a awesome location.

Also the beautiful St. George Monastery in a lovely and scenic location.

Great food, welcoming locals and a nice Greek Vibe.

You can check out my photos here:

https://tinyurl.com/y7bqwfma
Old Jun 18th, 2023, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Wow. Have we met? You seem to think you know what is in my heart and soul because I've written a few lines on this website. All I will say is that you are utterly wrong in your assessment of me. My reasons for going to Meteora and Amorgos are private and not to be shared with folks who do not know me and are quick to judge. May you find greater inner peace so that judging others does not come so quickly and easily. I wish you well.
Old Jun 18th, 2023, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your latest response. Do you have a particular place you like to stay or restaurant/cafe' when on Amorgos? Thanks much.
Old Jun 18th, 2023, 12:08 PM

I was based in Katapola at Porta Katapola Studios.

Nice budget studio right across from the end of the beach with views across the cove to villages and hills.

Owner speaks perfect English and has (or had) a large garden out back and let me pick all the veggies I wanted.

Lots of other options in the village so I'm sure you can find something.

Prices were off season rates and you get more for your money traveling off season.

I ate mostly in Katapola at Corner Taverna and tried a few others. My photos include some of the tavernas and meals but Corner Taverna was the best.

Old Jun 22nd, 2023, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone know of a good dolphin/whale watch company near Athens that offers a half-day trip in late September? Thanks very much.