Search

Copenhagen

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2023, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Copenhagen

We are planning a 3-day trip to Copenhagen in late July with our teenage kids. Looking to do things in and round the city. Any suggestions on how to make the most of our trip?
Old May 20th, 2023, 10:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarya
We are planning a 3-day trip to Copenhagen in late July with our teenage kids. Looking to do things in and round the city. Any suggestions on how to make the most of our trip?
For at least one day hire a local bike and get to see how great a cycling city is. If you come from a car culture this may be weird but the majority of journeys are done by bike within the city. Prices are low, helmets are not needed (shock horror... but but) and apart from one special rule (which any bike shop will explain) just like riding a bike.
Old May 21st, 2023, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks bilboburgler. For sure, since we are all bikers, this would fit the bill.
Old May 22nd, 2023, 05:00 AM

My husband and I biked to La Banchina, a magical spot where you can hang out on the dock, see the cool student housing on the water built from shipping containers, and even have a sauna and a swim (which we did not). We also loved a day trip to Kronborg Castle in Elsinore, known worldwide from Shakespeare's Hamlet. It's right beside the magnificent Maritime Museum in an interesting town. And of course Tivoli Gardens is fun for all ages, even if you don't like rides.
Old May 23rd, 2023, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Great suggestions, abbydog. Thanks.

Any recommendations for eating joints and places to stay?
Old May 24th, 2023, 03:40 AM

If you would like a fantastic experience, I recommend Gro Spiseri - https://www.grospiseri.dk/ This place is on top of an old car dealership's building because it's the only one that could hold the weight of its farm. The restaurant serves a multi-course meal made almost entirely from what's grown on site. It's super fun, with a friendly host and communal dining at a long table. It's pretty far from the town center but an easy metro or bike ride.
For wonderful sandwiches, I loved Christianshavns Færgecafé, near Christiana, and Selma, near the Torvehallerne food market.
Our favorite hotel is Hotel Danmark, just a couple blocks from the train station and Tivoli. It serves a fantastic breakfast and has a nice roof deck, but it's a bit expensive (by our standards).
Old May 25th, 2023, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Great recommendation. thanks, abbydog!
Old May 26th, 2023, 07:56 AM
P_M

I'm not a teenager but I enjoyed Tivoli Gardens.
Old Aug 12th, 2023, 09:34 AM

I've been to Copenhagen twice years and years ago. It seemed rather boring with not much to see/do.It was like a provincial city. Has this changed? Is it a cosmopolitan city with lots to see/do? I know it will never compare with Paris and Rome but...
Old Aug 12th, 2023, 10:36 AM
P_M

Originally Posted by PrairieHikerI
I've been to Copenhagen twice years and years ago. It seemed rather boring with not much to see/do.It was like a provincial city. Has this changed? Is it a cosmopolitan city with lots to see/do? I know it will never compare with Paris and Rome but...
Please see my reply to this same question on your Cosmopolitan Oslo thread.
Old Aug 13th, 2023, 02:19 PM

On the outskirts there \'s the open air museum of traditional Danish farmhouses

and also in a suburb Ordrupgaard

and the near-by Finn Juhl's House for those who like mid-century Danish modern

Farther out, but within reach for a day trip there is the Louisiana Museum;

and Roskilde with its cathedral and Viking Museum

Old Aug 14th, 2023, 04:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Roskilde is a bit special, with the boat museum down in the docks, because wherever they look in the fjord they keep finding more norse ships and a great little hostel/hotel right on the dock. The big church there is where the royal family get buried (when dead).

Denmark is not especially flashy or bright, the pleasures in town are from little observations on the side of a generally clean and well organised land. For example there is a jewelers in Copenhagen, very up market, and the window has an N gauge railway running through it towing wagons holding diamonds and rubies. It has been doing so for over 40 years.

If you want flash, then you are in the wrong country. If you want great design and wonderful ancient artifacts then you are in the right place. After all this is the land of the "little mermaid" not the "great big sea monster".

Great photos, Henry Moore gets everywhere

Last edited by bilboburgler; Aug 14th, 2023 at 04:43 AM.