Iceland Itinerary HELP PLEASE!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2023, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to spend one week in Iceland mid October. We are a senior couple. One person uses a rolling walker, so our walks will be limited to trails that you could take with a baby stroller. We would like a mix of scenic areas and local culture. We are "slow" travellers. We like to allow time to explore an area rather than jumping from one spot to the next. I would appreciate feedback on our plan.

Day 1 Arrive KEF from Oslo 2:45pm. Pick up rental car. Reykjavik 2 nights. Plan is to hit Costco and local grocery store that evening.
Day 2 Reykjavik - Museums focused on Iceland history & culture.
Day 3 Golden Circle. Overnight Selfoss.
Day 4 South Coast Selfoss to Kalfafell with stops to see glaciers, water falls, and other spots. Kalfafell 2 nights.
Day 5 Skatafell NP & Jokulsarlon. Overnight Kalfafell
Day 6 Return to Reykjavik. Make a couple of stops to see sights missed on trip east. Reykjavik 2 nights
Day 7 Reykjavik. Museums
Day 8 Reykjavik to early afternoon. Or explore Reykjanes Peninsula. Flight KEF to USA departs 5:10pm

Feedback please! Does this itinerary make sense?
Thanks!
Old May 21st, 2023, 08:32 AM
P_M

I think it does make sense. I'm curious as to why you're going to Costco.

You mentioned one person using a walker. I would planning to suggest the Blue Lagoon, if you think that would be feasible.
Old May 22nd, 2023, 07:17 AM

I too am curious about Costco. Are you possibly staying in a place with a kitchen? If so, that makes sense, but I would stick to the grocery sprees such as Bonus instead of Costco for that.

I highly recommend both the Citywalk "free" walking tour (tip what you want at the end) as well as the food tour. They are both excellent and even with a walker you would be fine.

Are you interested in a northern lights tour at all? If so, do that at the beginning of your trip and that way if it doesn't pan out you get a second chance and can try again at the end of the trip. We used Aurora Experts last October and they were excellent. We did luck out though and had a night right in Reykjavik where the lights out on the most amazing show! Vivid to the naked eye even. We were up by the church and it was just spectacular, so you just never know.

The Reykjanes Peninsula is a good idea. Very few people, especially that time of year.

Since this is October, weather can be anything so be prepared. Watch the road and weather conditions multiple times each day. You are smart with your logistics so that you are back in Reykjavik a couple days before your flight. I say that because of roads along the south coast are closed at all, then it gives you a buffer.

Are you interested in the lagoons at all? If so, Blue is easy to do right after you land or right before flying home. I prefer it before flying home so that I am relaxed at the airport. Another couple of options are Sky lagoon which is in Reykjavik, but about a 10-15 minute drive from the heart of downtown. We have been to both twice, and I do prefer Sky, mostly because it is smaller and the 7 step ritual is really nice. In the Golden Circle though you could do the Secret Lagoon or Fontana.

We are headed back again this summer for 17 days, and this will be our 5th trip. There is just so much to see and do there and never enough time! If you want restaurant suggestions, or anything else, just ask.
Old May 23rd, 2023, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Iceland & Costco

The Costco stop is based on our experience in Alaska and Hawaii. Costco was often the cheapest spot to pick up some fresh veggies and some snacks. There is evidently one Costco in Iceland located between the airport and Reykjavik downtown.

We are planning to cook a few meals during our trip. In Hawaii, even Whole Foods was less expensive than the local grocery chain. The plan was to hit Costco and a local grocery store to pick up snacks and enough food to cook a few meals. I gather from comments in other threads that fresh veggies may be difficult to find once we are outside Reykjavik. We have booked several places with a small kitchen, and some without.

Any suggestions for good places to eat out would be appreciated. We are likely to head 'ordinary' dining places, not the big spender fancy places. Good ethnic food is also good. We will have spent several weeks in Norway, so will have already had quite a bit of Scandinavian food. Also suggestions for good local food stores.

RE traveling with a walker. Info about which major sites would be child stroller friendly and which would be difficult to navigate would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old May 23rd, 2023, 11:38 AM

I would skip Costco and instead head to Bonus/Netto/Kronan for groceries. These stores carry some wonderful marinated lamb fillets, arctic char and cod which are all local of course. Don't worry, you can buy fresh produce all over the country.

Places that we enjoy in Reykjavik and along the south coast include these. In Reykjavik, Messinn is our favorite hands down, but other places we like include the Sea Baron down on the wharf, Islenski Barrin, the Hlemmur Matholl food hall, Sjávargrilliđ down the rainbow road from the church (amazing lobster tacos and fish soup), Snaps Bistro, Forréttabarinn, and Braud for the best cinnamon rolls. Messinn also has a location in Selfoss and is open for both lunch and dinner. More places along the south coast that we like are Gulfoss for the lamb soup, Fridheimer, in Vik the Soup Company, and the hot dog stand in Selfoss at the roundabout as you enter town.
Old May 23rd, 2023, 12:12 PM
P_M

Iceland has wonderful seafood. Arctic Char is very good, but my favorite Icelandic food was fish stew. In Selfoss there's a food hall with a lot of great restaurants. I went to a little place in that food hall where you go to the counter and order, sorry but I don't recall the name. I ordered fish stew and it was fantastic. The semisweet bread that comes with it is as good as the stew.

Our guide told us that food halls have become very popular in Iceland in recent years. When I first heard of the food halls I imagined the food courts in the US, but the Icelandic food halls are many times better.
Old May 23rd, 2023, 03:14 PM

Same here, the plokkfiskur is my favorite food in Iceland. Messinn does it very well! The chef shared the recipe with me so I make it at home and it suffices until we get back
Old May 25th, 2023, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

I'm getting hungry

Thanks for all the suggestions for places to eat!
We will definitely use the local grocery stores. It is good to hear that veggies should be widely available.

Old May 25th, 2023, 12:08 PM

Yes, no worries on fresh veggies. We always picked that up each day before going to our cottages to make dinner.