Japan trip during peak summer heat?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2023, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been offered the chance to travel for business to Japan, but it would be during the last week of July through first week of August. I've been to Japan before, but in late fall (and at the time, I studiously avoided going in the summer heat). How bad is it really? I can turn it down without consequence from my employer, it's more of a "first refusal" opportunity. Also, if people recommend that I go, I can choose between Kyoto and Osaka. I haven't visited either city, but I prefer nature so maybe Kyoto is better option for me? I will have, maybe, 2 days free to enjoy myself. But I'm not sure I even want to go if the rumors of hot/humid summers are true. Thank you.
Udd.
Old May 8th, 2023, 05:14 PM

In summer Kyoto which is inland surrounded by mountains is usually slightly hotter than Tokyo. Dining on the outdoor restaurant terraces along the Kamo river is very popular at this time of year.

One place you may consider visiting is the Kifune Jinja just outside of the city with it’s red lantern lined stairway. During summer there are restaurants there that set dining terraces right over the Kibune river, the rushing water helping to cool down patrons as they dine.
Old May 12th, 2023, 08:09 PM

I have been to Japan three times in the summer heat. Had a great, great time each time. The sun can really beat down on you, but you can find respite in the shade or by wearing a hat. I did not find the humidity to be a problem. Not like Shanghai, or even worse, Hong Kong. Go!
Old May 13th, 2023, 08:31 AM

I would love to visit Japan on a business trip just to experience that part of Japanese life, as long as I didn't have to work crazy long hours like Japanese do. Trip paid for by the company, flights in business class or premium economy? Am not clear if your previous visit was business or pleasure.

Use an umbrella for sun and rain. Floppy hat. Just saw a youtube that said there are so many beverage vending machiners in Japan because the cold drinks help people cope with the heat and they don't have a lot of space at home to store drinks.

Osaka, Japan Travel Weather Averages (Weatherbase)
Kyoto, Japan Travel Weather Averages (Weatherbase)

I would probably choose Osaka because of food. And it is not overrun with tourists. And Osaka-jin are said to be furendori.
Old May 18th, 2023, 12:23 AM

Have you visited recently? Let me know what was the budget for your visits, I would love to visit Japan next year.
Old May 18th, 2023, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by UdderlyHopeless
I've been offered the chance to travel for business to Japan, but it would be during the last week of July through first week of August. I've been to Japan before, but in late fall (and at the time, I studiously avoided going in the summer heat). How bad is it really? I can turn it down without consequence from my employer, it's more of a "first refusal" opportunity. Also, if people recommend that I go, I can choose between Kyoto and Osaka. I haven't visited either city, but I prefer nature so maybe Kyoto is better option for me? I will have, maybe, 2 days free to enjoy myself. But I'm not sure I even want to go if the rumors of hot/humid summers are true. Thank you.
Udd.
It depends on how heat sensitive you might be. Heat doesn't bother me. I was in Japan in summers of 2017/2018/2019 and chose to go in the summers and would go back in summer again. It was no hotter than when I'm in S.E. Asia for 6 weeks straight in Dec/Jan/Feb. I was in Japan for 2 and 3 weeks straight in those summers. Plus, I'm used to the heat here at home in Los Angeles although it's dryer heat.
As for Kyoto, if I were you, I'd go to Kyoto since you haven't been. I was there all three summers along with Tokyo and in 2019 I threw in Fukuoka. I was in Osaka long enough to shop as it cost only a little over $5.00 to take the local train there from Kyoto and then I returned to Kyoto the same day and was back in Kyoto in time for dinner. If your employer is going to pay for the trip, then pick Kyoto as accommodations can be expensive there. I've spent up to a whole week just in Kyoto.
Happy Travels!
Old May 19th, 2023, 01:24 AM

You are kidding right? Jump at the chance! I wouldn't give it a second thought. Their are plenty of hot humid places in the world but there is always air-conditioning.

I had a number of Japanese Banks as corporate clients and remember they were very rigid in their formal approach to business so wearing a suit in 100% humidity may be a little challenging, but once they let their hair down in the evenings they were a lot of fun. What a fantastic opportunity!
Old May 19th, 2023, 10:39 AM

I just submitted a post that went to purgatory (moderator) and noticed that I had previously linked the weatherbase pages in the post where I used the Japanese word "furendori". Try pronouncing it if you don't recognize what it means.

It is a borrowed word meaning
Spoiler

Old May 23rd, 2023, 09:31 AM

Correction to my Post #6- I actually stayed in Kyoto up to 10 days on my first trip in summer 2017.
Happy Travels!
Old May 23rd, 2023, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone, for the support -- I am booked to stay in Osaka (even though I suspect I might like Kyoto better) right near the Umeda train station. Since I'll be flying into/out of KIX airport, Osaka appeared closer. I will definitely take a wide-brimmed hat with me, and make sure I drink a lot of water. I do remember having one of the best meals of my life in Japan, and the safety and cleanliness of everything! My employer is paying, so my hotel is one of the cheaper ones, I looked it up online and the single room/bed looks like a college dormitory, but I'm not complaining. My previous trip was with for leisure with my husband, but it was in the late fall and more of the mountainous areas, and this time it will be in a city in the peak of summer and I'll be traveling alone. I think I just needed the encouragement of Fodorites to do this. Thank you all again.
Udd
Old May 23rd, 2023, 06:28 PM

Summer in Osaka begins in June and lasts until mid-September. It's hot and humid during these months. I'm not sure about you, but the heat is manageable for me. Don't forget to wear sunscreen and sunglasses, and try to find an outfit that goes well in summer (for example, thin, airy shirts, jeans, etc.). More importantly, you keep yourself hydrated. Enjoy!
Old Aug 10th, 2023, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

I recently returned and wanted to thank everyone again for their advice. Yes, it was hot (mid-90's and very humid), but I brought a UV hat and umbrella from Solbari (I don't work for them, just mentioning that I really liked their products) and I think it helped at lot. And the vending machines selling water or "Aquarius" (recommended by my hotel clerk, like Gatorade but not as sweet) were everywhere.

My employer paid for my hotel which was Hankyu Respire, right near the main train station, and above a shopping mall. The exchange rate was pretty good while I was there, I think the hotel came out to $163 per night. I was told they charge by person and not by room, so the seemingly low rate might be because I travelled alone? I thought about taking the train from KIX airport, but talking to others on the plane, they suggested a bus instead, and I'm glad I went that route. The bus was cheap and fast, and dropped me at a hotel right across the street from where I was staying.

Most of the time I was indoors, but during free time I shopped and mostly ate. Food was great, relatively inexpensive, and I found this great beer at the family mart, Asahi Super Dry-Raw (as in, unpasteurized). I think because it's not pasteurized, it literally tasted like draft beer even if it was in a can. Or maybe it was just the surroundings that made it taste good. Also got to check out the "Buffaloes" at the Kyocera dome, which was indoors and air conditioned, and Yoshinobu Yamamoto was pitching, who (according to my hotel clerk and verified by google) is the best pitcher in Japan. I also figured out how to take the train to Kyoto, which was nice. There are a couple of different trains so that part was a little difficult to figure out. There is the JR train, which I think is the primary line, but there is also a local hankyu line (or more than one) and the ticket/ticket machines are different (and some machine sell the IC card, some don't) so I think I put too much money on my card. But you can use the card for shopping at some stores (again, good advice from my hotel clerk), so I could use up the excess. I did not get to the Kifune shrine as curiousgeo recommended, so I will just have to return some day.

Finally, google translate worked very well for me. I did try to use a few phases (I can say "I'm sorry, I do not speak or understand Japanese"; "where is the restroom" and "may I please have water") and I learned the katakana chart before my trip, but beyond that I'm lost. But I just point my phone at a writing, and it translates into english, or I type in english and it provides my japanese translation (I don't work for google, just mentioning a product that I found helpful). All in all, it was easier to get around than I thought, I always felt very safe, the people are "fudendori" (thank you, mrwunrfl), and the food was great. But yes, HOT and humid. I cannot wait to return. Thank you all again for the advice and encouragement.
Old Aug 11th, 2023, 07:17 AM

Thanks for reporting back. Good that you learned a few words of Japanese. Glad that you had a good visit and are looking forward to a return.

>> I think the hotel came out to $163 per night. I was told they charge by person and not by room, so the seemingly low rate might be because I travelled alone?

If you think that rate was low then you must have liked the hotel. Yes, because you were solo and because it is Osaka (and not Kyoto), and because of seasonal availability.

In Japan it deifinitely is important to select the correct number of guests per room, especially when traveling solo. A lot of ryokan, esp those that offer only rates that include room + dinner + breakfast. don't accept solo travelers. That is because the meals could be half the cost of a stay. In a popular place/time the ryokan owners know they can fill the place with couples or families.

For example, an inexpensive ryokan might offer $100 room only, $150 room plus meals for one person, or $200 for room+meals for two. At highest season they might offer only the third option.

Sometimes, I search for two people even when traveling solo just to see if a place has any availability at all.

It is pretty normal for a city hotel to offer the same rate for one or two people, but your hotel is a good example for why you should search for one person or two.

Sept 15, one night, double room, no breakfast:
17.050 for one or 19,250 for two people

Sept 15, seven nights, double room, no breakfast, per night:
23,886 for one or 25,143 for two

You paid about 23590, which was the right price. The breakdown would be like this:

Room 1
1 adult~High Floor~Double Non-Smoking for 1guest

Bedding options: 1,60m

(subject to availability)

Room Only

JP¥167,200

September 14, 2023
JP¥18,700
September 15, 2023
JP¥22,550
September 16, 2023
JP¥39,050
September 17, 2023
JP¥33,550
September 18, 2023
JP¥17,050
September 19, 2023
JP¥17,600
September 20, 2023
JP¥18,700
Old Aug 11th, 2023, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the details on how hotel rates work in Japan! My employer footed the hotel bill so I wasn't too concerned about over-paying, but I did like the hotel and converted the cost out of curiosity. I think the exchange rate was good because I brought up about the same amount of spending money that I take with me on other trips, and was surprised at how much I had left over at the end. All in all, it's a great place for a solo traveler, imho.
Old Aug 11th, 2023, 06:48 PM

Thanks so much for your report back. You were masterfully prepared with a hat, umbrella, and knowing how to ask where the bathroom is. You has it all covered! Literally.
Old Aug 21st, 2023, 02:37 PM

I too just returned from Japan for a two week trip. Although it was an amazing experience, I don't think I would recommend to go in the heat of summer. We were not able to do much outside (which really is everything we wanted to do). The heat was just too oppressive. If I had an employer paying for my flight and accomodation, I of course would not pass up the trip. But it was an expensive trip for not being able to enjoy signt seeing outside. We were in Fukuoka, Nagasaki, Tokyo and Kyoto.
Old Sep 13th, 2023, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by UdderlyHopeless
I recently returned and wanted to thank everyone again for their advice. Yes, it was hot (mid-90's and very humid), but I brought a UV hat and umbrella from Solbari (I don't work for them, just mentioning that I really liked their products) and I think it helped at lot. And the vending machines selling water or "Aquarius" (recommended by my hotel clerk, like Gatorade but not as sweet) were everywhere.

My employer paid for my hotel which was Hankyu Respire, right near the main train station, and above a shopping mall. The exchange rate was pretty good while I was there, I think the hotel came out to $163 per night. I was told they charge by person and not by room, so the seemingly low rate might be because I travelled alone? I thought about taking the train from KIX airport, but talking to others on the plane, they suggested a bus instead, and I'm glad I went that route. The bus was cheap and fast, and dropped me at a hotel right across the street from where I was staying.

Most of the time I was indoors, but during free time I shopped and mostly ate. Food was great, relatively inexpensive, and I found this great beer at the family mart, Asahi Super Dry-Raw (as in, unpasteurized). I think because it's not pasteurized, it literally tasted like draft beer even if it was in a can. Or maybe it was just the surroundings that made it taste good. Also got to check out the "Buffaloes" at the Kyocera dome, which was indoors and air conditioned, and Yoshinobu Yamamoto was pitching, who (according to my hotel clerk and verified by google) is the best pitcher in Japan. I also figured out how to take the train to Kyoto, which was nice. There are a couple of different trains so that part was a little difficult to figure out. There is the JR train, which I think is the primary line, but there is also a local hankyu line (or more than one) and the ticket/ticket machines are different (and some machine sell the IC card, some don't) so I think I put too much money on my card. But you can use the card for shopping at some stores (again, good advice from my hotel clerk), so I could use up the excess. I did not get to the Kifune shrine as curiousgeo recommended, so I will just have to return some day.

Finally, google translate worked very well for me. I did try to use a few phases (I can say "I'm sorry, I do not speak or understand Japanese"; "where is the restroom" and "may I please have water") and I learned the katakana chart before my trip, but beyond that I'm lost. But I just point my phone at a writing, and it translates into english, or I type in english and it provides my japanese translation (I don't work for google, just mentioning a product that I found helpful). All in all, it was easier to get around than I thought, I always felt very safe, the people are "fudendori" (thank you, mrwunrfl), and the food was great. But yes, HOT and humid. I cannot wait to return. Thank you all again for the advice and encouragement.
I'm glad you took the trip and enjoyed it. Google Translate didn't give me good translations the last time I went there. I found that asking my Japanese colleagues for common phrases was more helpful. Also, ChatGPT was not yet available when I went to Japan, so I couldn't compare the results to Google Translate. However, Google Lens was very helpful - you can see the translations in real-time, and they're useful for reading signs.