8 Full Days in Greece

Search

8 Full Days in Greece

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2023, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8 Full Days in Greece

My husband and I are planning a trip to Greece. It's been a dream but always thougth it was too expensive so never looked into it. It's not as expensive as we thought. We will be traveling from the US, 10 days total but two will be travel days. We will be there late May 2024. I booked an apartment in Athens for 9 nights thinking Athens would be our base for day trips. I've never really researched Greece before..wow! So many options. We are intrested in history, religious sites, hiking, food, wine, olives and just plain exploring. I'm overwhelmed by the islands. I feel we need to try to get to at lease one if we are going all the way to Greece. We're not lay at the beach all day kinda people, but wouldn't mind a beach experience. I would appreciate any starting point research advise or suggested itineraries. We are not locked into the Athens apartment. We can cancel any or part of it up to a month before arriving. Is 9 nights in Athens too long? Should I look into staying some place else for a few nights. We do not want a go go go kind of trip. We like a relaxed pace knowing we can't see or do it all.
Old May 2nd, 2023, 01:40 PM

It's already late to get the best bookings in best places... if you want the most useful advice, give us specific dates -- What DATE do you arrive (AND time of landing), pluS DATE OF Deparrture (and take-off time)... with such a short stay, every hour changes your options.
Old May 2nd, 2023, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by travelerjan
It's already late to get the best bookings in best places... if you want the most useful advice, give us specific dates -- What DATE do you arrive (AND time of landing), pluS DATE OF Deparrture (and take-off time)... with such a short stay, every hour changes your options.
I believe the OP is traveling in 2024
Old May 3rd, 2023, 04:55 AM

Religious sites — Meteora, then? Needs at least one overnight away from Athens. Plenty of tour operators to choose from. You could take a tour that includes Delphi as well — two nights?

Mystras is another lovely Byzantine site. Nearby Sparti also offers a modest museum of olive production. Again, not a realistic day trip from Athens.

The Bradt guide to the Peloponnese might convince you that you can get fine beach time without venturing to the islands at all.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 08:02 AM

I don't like the idea of feeling compelled to go to 'at least one island.' No, you don't have to. Go if there is a specific island(s) you feel you can't go without seeing. Aside from that, as you said, you have so many choices.

There are two seascapes with Greek ruins and beaches you can visit not far from Athens: The Heraion of Pechora and the Temple of Poseidon on the Sounion peninsula. Not all ruins in Greece are Greek, BTW.

Old May 3rd, 2023, 08:41 AM

As well as the monasteries at Meteora and other Byzantine sites, there are many other earlier sites, but do you mean those associated with Greek mythology, or perhaps those mentioned in the Bible? Below is a website that mentions several places visited by Apostle Paul in Athens, Corinth, and Thessaloniki.

http://www.christian-pilgrimage-jour...tes-in-greece/

The island of Paros has a Church known as Panagia Ekatontapiliani which dates from the 4th century. It’s absolutely beautiful inside, and visitors are welcome when services aren’t being conducted.

https://www.greeka.com/cyclades/paro...atontapiliani/

If you mean sites associated with Greek mythology, then Athens and the area around Nafplio in the Peloponnese have more than enough to keep you busy. How you divide your time is up to you, but Athens and Nafplio would make a good combination.

http://www.visitnafplio.com/
Old May 4th, 2023, 02:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, I

Lots to research. But now my husband has mentioned Italy instead of Greece. More research to decide Rome or Athens

Originally Posted by FTOttawa
Religious sites — Meteora, then? Needs at least one overnight away from Athens. Plenty of tour operators to choose from. You could take a tour that includes Delphi as well — two nights?

Mystras is another lovely Byzantine site. Nearby Sparti also offers a modest museum of olive production. Again, not a realistic day trip from Athens.

The Bradt guide to the Peloponnese might convince you that you can get fine beach time without venturing to the islands at all.