Search

Cotswold and London

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2023, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cotswold and London

Hiya
My partner and I are planning 15 days trip to London and Cotswold, in the first week of October. I was thinking of about a week in London and 5 days in the Cotswold with a couple of days buffer in case we want to spend a night in Oxford or something. We plan to hire a car for the Cotswold leg of the trip. Welcome ideas about walking routes in Cotswold and which village to make base.
thanks
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 09:11 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
5 days in the Cotswoldsis a very nice allotment of time (note that 'Cotswold' is not a place but an entire region in parts of 6 counties). Besides the 'named' long distance paths (like the Cotswold Way, etc) there are literally hundreds of walks. Every single town or village will have several signposted walks. For a town/village that still feels 'village-y' but is large enough to have pubs/restaurants/shops here is a short list (there are many more possibilities):

Burford,
Stow-on-the-Wold,
Chipping Campden
Broadway
Bourton-on-the-Water
Winchcombe
Kingham
Painswick

. . . and many more. Except for Painswick, which is a bit farther SW these are all in sort of the 'central' Cotswolds and each would make a good base for a few days.
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Hi thanks so much for your response. Yes I’m aware that Cotswold is a region made up of market towns and villages 😄
hence wanted to know which village/town should we stay in. Any specific walks that are better than the other? We surely want to do the Lower and upper slaughter walk, anything else you could suggest that you perhaps have done?
the last time I was there ( about 8 years back,) I stayed in Gloucester. This time wanted to do something more rural.
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Also is 4 days in Cotswold and 3 days in the lakes a good idea or too hectic? We’ll have a car.
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 12:15 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by subarna19
Hi thanks so much for your response. Yes I’m aware that Cotswold is a region made up of market towns and villages 😄
hence wanted to know which village/town should we stay in. Any specific walks that are better than the other? We surely want to do the Lower and upper slaughter walk, anything else you could suggest that you perhaps have done?
the last time I was there ( about 8 years back,) I stayed in Gloucester. This time wanted to do something more rural.
Originally Posted by subarna19
Also is 4 days in Cotswold and 3 days in the lakes a good idea or too hectic? We’ll have a car.

I guess my post was too subtle. " . . . I’m aware that Cotswold is a region . . ." and " . . . 4 days in Cotswold . . ." and " . . . to London and Cotswold . . ." and " . . . 5 days in the Cotswold . . .". As I mentioned, there is no such place as 'Cotswold'. It is the Cotswolds. 'Cotswold' can be used as an adjective. - 'Cotswold stone' or 'Cotswold village' etc. -- but it ain't a place.

Lecture over . . . There are quite literally hundreds of good to great walks in every corner of the Cotswolds. The Lower Slaughter / Upper Slaughter one is nice.

A few others (like I said there are hundreds)

• Burford along the River Windrush, up to Fulbrook and back to Burford.

• Any walk between Asthall / Minster Lovell / Swinbrook - also along some of the River Windrush.

• several walks around Charlbury

• Milton-under-Wychwood / Fifield / Foxholes Nature Reserve

• Broadway/Broadway Tower

• Stanton (amazing views) to Snowshill (amazing house + lovely garden)
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 10:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"lakes".... do you mean "the lake district" or some other lakes?

In terms of footpaths in the UK I use https://footpathmap.co.uk/
I suggest it is best to take a bus our and walk back to your base.
https://www.traveline.info/ is a good place to start

Last edited by bilboburgler; Apr 27th, 2023 at 10:13 PM.