Belgium Lowlands or Rhineland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2023, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Amsterdam for 5 days in September, then 5 days to travel from Amsterdam to Paris where we will stay for 5 days. Originally we planned to travel to Delft and to Bruge and then on to Paris. We are now thinking of travelling to Mainz and then travel to Paris via Strausbourg visiting parts of Rhineland and Alsace. Any opinions are appreciated.
Old Apr 24th, 2023, 03:19 PM

I know both Belgium and Mainz / Wiesbaden and the middle Rhine gorge reasonably well - what is your question around these? Why did you shift from Belgium to the Rhine? You are slightly less likely to encounter the wave of tourists along the Rhine that you would in Bruges - unless you visit Rüdesheim, where many people get on cruise boats. It's much smaller than Bruges, but still a bit too touristy. Mainz is big enough to absorb tourism, a nice city with lots to do.

But even if you want to see Bruges but are freaked out by tourists, you don't have to remain there. There is a lot to see in Belgium and with 5 days you will have time to see other things. Also Delft is nice, don't be put off from seeing that.

Tell us about your interests so we can see what would be a better match.

Lavandula
Old Apr 24th, 2023, 10:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like Bruges and it is worth a day with local towns worth another day (I tend to cycle along the local canals to see them)

Rhineland, well the southern most bit is beautiful but the towns are mainly small and I like it. Koblenz is the bigger place and while the fortress is a good visit the place is meh. Further north it stays beautiful and of course Bonn is a nice visit.

So the point I'm struggling to make is that Rhineland, the Mosel and Alsace are really country visits with just a few small towns and a very few big ones. Bruges etc the countryside is less exciting and the towns are the real attraction but even here relatively small. If you like interesting valleys with wineries and small prettyish towns then come south. If you like flat land with pretty towns stay in Belgium.
Old Apr 25th, 2023, 06:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The Moselle along the German-Luxembourg border is beautiful in case you stray from the Rhine.
Old Apr 30th, 2023, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your time and very helpful information. There are 6 of us travelling and are trying to make our final decisions based on our combined interests. Your comments will help us put together our final itinerary. Greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 30th, 2023, 01:44 PM

Hi annienan, we didn't really make any specific comments as you told us nothing about your interests, wishes or plans!

Lavandula
Old May 3rd, 2023, 03:23 AM

Metz is a nice city and anywhere in Alsace is nice. Also the Vosges mountains are often overlooked. I stayed once in a beautiful hotel there and was amazed how overlooked this area is. Gerardmer is a nice town with a lake and reminds me of Maine in the USA. Strasbourg is a nice city but would recommend staying outside in a place like Barr or Obernai. Lots of nice yet affordable 4 star hotels in Alsace. Reims in Champagne is nice if you like champagne and interested in tasting/learning.
Old May 4th, 2023, 08:07 AM

There are a lot of magnificent places to visit in the Vosges, but please don't reveal this to too many people. I love driving up to the convent at Mont Sainte Odile where there is a magnificent panorama of the Black Forest in the distance.
Old May 5th, 2023, 02:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for these wonderful suggestions!!! Your secret is now my secret!
Old May 5th, 2023, 04:19 AM

In the Netherlands, and Belgium, don’t forget Haarlem and Ghent. Lots of Art in both places too. Haarlem was home to Frans Hals.
Old May 5th, 2023, 07:48 AM

Here's an old photo report about Luxembourg along the Moselle.
Luxembourg wine country (by kerouac2) | Any Port in a Storm (proboards.com)
As a bonus, you can even visit the locally famous "Saar Loop" just a few kilometers away in Germany.
Saarschleife - the Saar Loop | Any Port in a Storm (proboards.com)