Scotland transportation for elderly

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2023, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for advice for travel with older friends who need to limit steps and transfers... Going from Oban, Scotland to London on Aug 9. Train sleeper options? Would need 4 beds, no bunk beds. Or a train back to Glasgow then flights to London? Train that goes to Glasgow airport? Thanks!
Old Apr 21st, 2023, 11:02 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I personally wouldn't take the sleeper unless you simply want the experience. Flying wouldn't be that convenient because you'd have to get out to GLA from the city centre for the flight. There is no rail service to GLA so it would have to either be a bus or train to Paisley and then taxi for the 2-ish miles to the airport.

When booking the train from Oban be sure to get one going via Dalmuir to Glasgow Central. You will have a change at Dalmuir but from Glasgow Central its straight through to Euston Station in London. If you catch a train from Oban to Glasgow Queen Street Station -- you'd have to taxi over to Glasgow Central Station, then change trains at Watford Junction near London before getting in to Euston
Old Apr 21st, 2023, 11:15 AM

You can check the website Rome to Rio for options. Would they consider breaking up the trip? They could train to Glasgow and spend the night and then train or fly to London the next day. I think it would be hard to get a good rest on a sleeper car.
Old Apr 21st, 2023, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for this!
Old Apr 21st, 2023, 12:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh -just re-read my post and while I knew what I meant maybe not so obvious To clarify, it should say "There is no rail service to GLA so it would have to be either a bus to the airport, or a train to Paisley and then taxi for the 2-ish miles to the airport."