Search

St Moritz - Beginning of June

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2023, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St Moritz - Beginning of June

Hi

i will be in St Moritz for 2 nights at the beginning of June, just before the cable cars and funicular open. The group are not great hikers, any suggestions on activities? Also any recommendations on restaurants that will be open at the beginning of June. It’s hard being so close to everything opening!

M
Old Apr 14th, 2023, 10:10 AM

The gondola to Diavolezza (best viewpoint in the middle of glaciers) will run (everey 20 min).
So will the Bernina railway and the Post bus over the Maloja Pass to Soglio and Chiavenna (Italy).
You may also go by train to the thermal spa of Scuol. Scuol is one of the nicest villages of the area (together with Guarda).
Old Apr 14th, 2023, 11:09 AM

Hi,

How about a horse-drawn carriage ride from Sils down the Fex Valley? You can ride both ways or walk one way -- not a hike.

https://www.sils.ch/en/stories/stori...-carriage.html

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Apr 14th, 2023, 11:41 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
There'a a short and easy walk around Lake St Mortiz - 2.8 mile loop - nice views.

We like Cafe Hanselmann for lunch (don't miss their desserts - they make a very nice nusstorte).

We also like the pizza place in the Hotel Laudinella (Pizzeria Caruso). Do be aware that many restaurants in Switzerland close around 1:30 - 2 pm and then reopen later for dinner.

Last edited by Melnq8; Apr 14th, 2023 at 11:45 AM.
Old Apr 15th, 2023, 03:22 AM

The bituminized path around Lake St. Moritz is rather ugly.
Go to Lake Sils (Segl Baselgia - Isola - Maloja) for a nicer Lake shore hike.
The boats on Lej da Segl (Lake Sils) start to run on June 11th only, however.
Old Apr 15th, 2023, 04:07 AM

I would probably do the excursion by train to Bernina-Diavolezza, ride the cable car up and down, walk to Morteratsch and to the glacier, then take the train back to St. Moritz from Morteratsch. Diavolezza restaurant and Morteratsch restaurant will be open for lunch - either is fine.

For dinner I second Melnq's recommendation of the Pizzeria at Hotel Laudinella - been there several times and liked it very much. However, it is down in St. Moritz-Bad and if you are staying up in St. Moritz-Dorf it is quite a distance to walk. Hotel Steffani centrally located up in St. Moritz-Dorf has a very good (rather fancy) restaurant that is open all year round: https://steffani.ch/en/restaurants-bars/
Old Apr 15th, 2023, 04:59 AM

In early June, buses between St. Moritz Bad and St. Moritz Dorf will run until 23.16, about every 20 min.
Old Apr 15th, 2023, 06:57 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I guess ugly is relative.

Another option is to take the train to Pontresina and walk from there to St Moritz. One must climb a short hill from the Pontresina train station to access the trail (we did this in winter and it was slippery) but the trail eventually becomes a gentle undulating meander through the forest.

Enroute, you'll pass Hotel Restorant Lej da Staz (which opens May 26 according to their website). This is a nice spot for a beverage or lunch while soaking up views of the lake.

https://www.laudinella.ch/restaurant...t-lej-da-staz/

I know you said you're not really hikers, but this is an easy excursion that might work for your group.

Old Apr 15th, 2023, 10:02 AM

I enjoyed the walk around Lake St. Moritz a lot and was happy about the asphalt surface after a couple of rainy days - it's all relative. Lake Staz is really romantic in the middle of the woods.

The only restaurant open in Fex Valley is Pensiun Crasta (summer season starts 1 June) https://www.pensiuncrasta.ch/
Highly recommended!
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 02:13 AM

Hello margaretafarrell

I think that there are beautiful hikes at the lakes Silsersee and Silvaplanersee lakes which don't have to be too long. The Swiss National Park is a bit further away but also offers nice short hikes in an exceptional environment. I would also visit the Diavolezza and the Morteratsch glacier.

Have a great trip
Martin
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 08:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Visit charming Pontresina, quite near St-Moritz. There are many pretty painted, decorated houses there. And some good restaurants too.
Old Apr 17th, 2023, 01:16 AM

There are more "pretty painted, decorated houses", that means typical Engadin Valley houses in the lower part of Engadin Valley, the absolute highlight is Guarda.
Old Sep 21st, 2023, 08:42 AM

We spent a week in SM early June 2022. Definitely do the Muottas Muragl cable car. Easy bus ride to cable car station, lots of cute seatings (some cabanas types, free) at peak, people did serious picnic (w champagne and glass!) up there. Numerous trails on plateau or do the panorama trail. We did the trail to descend to Pontresina which requires more time.